0 0%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your favourite Bob Dylan album poll

Radio 4 mini doc marking the 50th(!!!!) anniversary of Highway 61:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06gtk2l

The Times They Are A-Changin'

sorry

Ive been listening to every Dylan LP. Observations so far:

Pat Garret is throwaway bar 'knockin'. It even has pan pipes.

New morning is unmitigated shite.

His voice on Nashville skyline is beguilingly strange. Ive become slightly obsessed with it.

There's a 5 hour youtube vid full of early stuff Ive never heard. Will dig it out.

Come on, the first three on new morning are wicked! Then it does drag rather...

Havent listened for years but i remember liking new morning quite a lot. The man in me is a tune despite ropey lyrics. Planet waves is another overlooked one from that period that is decent. Self portrait is the first real stinker i think.

Planet waves doesnt seem too bad. Listening now.
    Last edited by droid; 27-02-2016 at 07:45 PM.

Might have been a touch hard on New Morning, its not totally awful, but it is a mess. Sounds unmastered. Cover art is a joke.

One thing I will say about blood on the tracks - the new york versions are the way to go. Far superior version of idiot wind, which is probably the best tune. Matt otm there.
    Last edited by droid; 11-03-2016 at 11:01 PM.

its the most fusty soft-shoe dad music ever, but i even like time out of mind, love and theft and modern times. this is how to age gracefully imo. TOOM in particular seems like he's already done his equivalent to blackstar (not in sound, but subject matter). haven't heard the last couple he did yet though.

good as i been to you and world gone wrong are worth a listen too in the trad-dad vein

Quote Originally Posted by Benny B View Post
    its the most fusty soft-shoe dad music ever, but i even like time out of mind, love and theft and modern times. this is how to age gracefully imo. TOOM in particular seems like he's already done his equivalent to blackstar (not in sound, but subject matter). haven't heard the last couple he did yet though.

good as i been to you and world gone wrong are worth a listen too in the trad-dad vein
    yep, now that I am actually a dad, I feel a lot less guilty about my love for the later albums..

haha me too.

i even went to see dylan with my dad around love and theft times. there were loads of father-son combos there, including many bored 10 year olds tugging at dad's trousers and tip-toeing to get a look at the dapper elderly gent on stage.

he was magnificent

Bob Dylan is fucking awful.

Quote Originally Posted by mistersloane View Post
    Bob Dylan is fucking awful.

Nice piece on the recording of 'sad eyed lady' here:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may1...racks_0510.htm

"He ran down a verse and a chorus and he just quit and said, 'We'll do a verse and a chorus, then I'll play my harmonica thing. Then we'll do another verse and chorus and I'll play some more harmonica, and we'll see how it goes from there.' That was his explanation of what was getting ready to happen. Not knowing how long this thing was going to be, we were preparing ourselves dynamically for a basic two‑ to three‑minute record. Because records just didn't go over three minutes.

"If you notice that record, that thing after, like, the second chorus starts building and building like crazy, and everybody's just peaking it up 'cause we thought, 'Man, this is it. This is gonna be the last chorus and we've gotta put everything into it we can.' And he played another harmonica solo and went back down to another verse, and the dynamics had to drop back down to a verse kind of feel. After about five, six minutes of this stuff, we start looking at the clock, everyone starts looking at each other, we'd built to the peak of our limit and, bang, [there] goes another harmonica solo. After about 10 minutes of this thing we're cracking up at each other, at what we were doing. I mean, we peaked five minutes ago. Where do we go from here?”

Ive been reading the excellent Dylan Goes Electric!: Newport, Seeger, Dylan, and the Night That Split the Sixt… by Elijah Wald and have discovered a newfound appreciation of the first two LP's as well as the pre LP harmonica sideman stuff.

What does come through in the book is how Newport, Seeger and the folk revival is really the foundation of the second half of 20th century rock. Brought the blues back to prominence, provided inspiration for at least 2 generations of British musicians.. certainly as big an influence as the first wave of rock n roll.