• Desire (1976)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Street Legal (1978)

• Slow Train Coming (1979)

• Total voters

droid

well in light of the comments above, you're not gonna like it...

I've gone for john wesley harding simply because its the one i keep coming back to the most over the years, The real answer is probably highway 61/blood on the tracks/blonde on blonde, but theres something so simple and mysterious about the songs on jwh that keeps me coming back.

this is my fave dylan song, proper deep.

Ha!! In your FACE Luka.

:D

+ Exquisite taste points for Benny

luka

Why not look up k punks trolling thread ' I don't get Dylan and i never will ' Matthew says bringing it all back home is best, I just looked.

droid

Why not look up k punks trolling thread ' I don't get Dylan and i never will ' Matthew says bringing it all back home is best, I just looked.

That was a great thread. Here's his list:

obv

biabh
highway
blonde

also-rans

freewheelin (too good)
john wesley
blood
basement
desire

over-rated

times
another side
flood
bob1

not good

nashville
new morning

Woebot

only 15 options so i missed off his first lp, pat garrett and dylan (whos gonna vote for them?)

also basement tapes cos its likely been superceded by that new boxset thing which i still havent heard yet but by all accounts is awesome

good poll benny.

i put in for the freewheeling but perhaps it's blood on the tracks - or blonde on blonde. closely followed by john wesley - so in fact (i see) very close to the dissensus ;-)

another side is too sincere, bringing is uneven, highway 61 is long-winded.

while certainly yes i agree about not including the 1st lp but this is a wonder

and this from the bootlegs

there is a certain radioactive intensity to the earlier stuff which is why i think i chose freewheeling... that and it's funny.

droid

Ive been listening to every Dylan LP. Observations so far:

Pat Garret is throwaway bar 'knockin'. It even has pan pipes.

New morning is unmitigated shite.

His voice on Nashville skyline is beguilingly strange. Ive become slightly obsessed with it.

There's a 5 hour youtube vid full of early stuff Ive never heard. Will dig it out.

Benny Bunter

Havent listened for years but i remember liking new morning quite a lot. The man in me is a tune despite ropey lyrics. Planet waves is another overlooked one from that period that is decent. Self portrait is the first real stinker i think.

droid

Might have been a touch hard on New Morning, its not totally awful, but it is a mess. Sounds unmastered. Cover art is a joke.

One thing I will say about blood on the tracks - the new york versions are the way to go. Far superior version of idiot wind, which is probably the best tune. Matt otm there.

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

its the most fusty soft-shoe dad music ever, but i even like time out of mind, love and theft and modern times. this is how to age gracefully imo. TOOM in particular seems like he's already done his equivalent to blackstar (not in sound, but subject matter). haven't heard the last couple he did yet though.

good as i been to you and world gone wrong are worth a listen too in the trad-dad vein

benjybars

village elder.
its the most fusty soft-shoe dad music ever, but i even like time out of mind, love and theft and modern times. this is how to age gracefully imo. TOOM in particular seems like he's already done his equivalent to blackstar (not in sound, but subject matter). haven't heard the last couple he did yet though.

good as i been to you and world gone wrong are worth a listen too in the trad-dad vein

yep, now that I am actually a dad, I feel a lot less guilty about my love for the later albums..

Benny Bunter

haha me too.

i even went to see dylan with my dad around love and theft times. there were loads of father-son combos there, including many bored 10 year olds tugging at dad's trousers and tip-toeing to get a look at the dapper elderly gent on stage.

he was magnificent