• Street Legal (1978)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Slow Train Coming (1979)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

droid

Nice piece on the recording of 'sad eyed lady' here:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may10/articles/classictracks_0510.htm

"He ran down a verse and a chorus and he just quit and said, 'We'll do a verse and a chorus, then I'll play my harmonica thing. Then we'll do another verse and chorus and I'll play some more harmonica, and we'll see how it goes from there.' That was his explanation of what was getting ready to happen. Not knowing how long this thing was going to be, we were preparing ourselves dynamically for a basic two‑ to three‑minute record. Because records just didn't go over three minutes.

"If you notice that record, that thing after, like, the second chorus starts building and building like crazy, and everybody's just peaking it up 'cause we thought, 'Man, this is it. This is gonna be the last chorus and we've gotta put everything into it we can.' And he played another harmonica solo and went back down to another verse, and the dynamics had to drop back down to a verse kind of feel. After about five, six minutes of this stuff, we start looking at the clock, everyone starts looking at each other, we'd built to the peak of our limit and, bang, [there] goes another harmonica solo. After about 10 minutes of this thing we're cracking up at each other, at what we were doing. I mean, we peaked five minutes ago. Where do we go from here?”

droid

Ive been reading the excellent Dylan Goes Electric!: Newport, Seeger, Dylan, and the Night That Split the Sixt… by Elijah Wald and have discovered a newfound appreciation of the first two LP's as well as the pre LP harmonica sideman stuff.

droid

What does come through in the book is how Newport, Seeger and the folk revival is really the foundation of the second half of 20th century rock. Brought the blues back to prominence, provided inspiration for at least 2 generations of British musicians.. certainly as big an influence as the first wave of rock n roll.

droid

Also striking how little of this stuff is obviously apparent or labelled on YT. You would think there'd be a 'Bob Dylan direct inspiration' playlist somewhere, but there isnt - or at least, I cant find it.

droid

The next weekend Sara took me uptown to a record shop she said carried everything, and I bought two Bob Dylan albums. The second one, The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan, had “Don’t Think Twice” on it. Listening on the phonograph in Sara’s bedroom I realized the words were only half the story: the song was at least half attitude, acting, role-playing… something. As if James Dean had merged with Rimbaud and Raymond Chandler and strapped on a flat-top Martin. And I realized something else. You couldn’t duplicate this; this was a one-time thing. Spend a lifetime learning the picking, and you couldn’t get it the same way twice. Learn every shading and nuance of voice, and this would still be the only one in the world. Even Dylan couldn’t duplicate it—try to Xerox it and the machine would short-circuit and smoke and burn. I felt there was no precedent for this—that you could trace folk music back through its entire history, and you would not hear anything like this. The song and the song’s performance came out of someplace raw and powerful, painful as an open wound. It was a way of looking at things in a single frozen moment of time.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2006/07/bob-dylan-the-man-in-the-attic-a-memoir.html

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
It's alright ma and it's all over now are prob my two fave Dylan songs so bringing it all back.. Is automatically my fave album

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
was thinking to myself 'poor old dylan, drowned in adulation'

then realised that would make a decent title for one of his songs/albums

'she looked at me from across the room
that was when i realised
i was
drowned in adulaytsheonnnnne