...:::::...::Real Hip-Hop:::...::.... 2015

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZeKDR8D23Ao" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Flatbush Zombies feat. Domo Genesis - Plz Don't Make Me Do It (2015)

And if you want stuff that wouldn't make a 1995 guy burn you for being a witch... I haven't paid any attention to this neo-90's stuff like Joey Badass and Flatbush Zombies but this tune's decent so maybe I should.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bNhTXc1Fqnc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chief Keef - Himalayas (2015)

I can't really pay attention to Keef's rapping anymore, and it's almost as if he's designed it that way, but I've been really feeling the weirdness of his production lately. I mean, listen to this beat! Sounds like nothing else I'm aware of in rap music at the moment.

I guess he's really moulding himself after Gucci with this flow. He doesn't have the flavoursome voice that Gucci has, though. Maybe that's why he seems so anonymous as a rapper these days?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Q_z1NuwhLWA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chief Keef - Yesterday (2013)

Maybe I should listen to Crowley and Danny L et al and pay more attention to Keef's output post Finally Rich cos this is weird and wonderful. It reminds me of Bop music, the fairy-tale synthesisers, this super-strange collision of grunty, testosterone fuelled rap with music for pixies to dance to.

CrowleyHead

I can't really pay attention to Keef's rapping anymore

So go listen to Tim Hecker or something then, like fuck, I'm sick of hearing the "Oh he's so unusual" or "his beats compensate for how throwaway his rapping has become" statements.

I just had to read someone say "People should look at Keef as someone who does sound design" and I practically lost it. Nobody who are Keef's actual fanbase are thinking of him as this generator of onomotapeia like he's some urban Mike Patton or some shit, they hear him rapping.

The kid has improved so much as a rapper, and made so many strides in different directions, and people want to simply write him off because its not some archaic definition of trad. rapping, meanwhile every city in America had at least three cars blasting "Faneto" at any given time from what I saw last year.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
No idea who Tim Hecker is. I looked him up and I still have no idea.

I'll hold my hands up and admit I've been a lazy listener. Listening closely to "Himalayas" now I can see what you mean. My only defence is that he doesn't make it easy to hear his words. That's what I meant by not being able to pay attention to his rapping. Perish the thought of being a hipster Chief Cliché. I DON'T JUST WANT TRAD GOODNESS I LOVE GUCCI MANE I SWEAR.

Actually it should be instructive to me to recall Gucci Mane cos like a lot of ppl I thought he was shite when I first heard him. He sounded like a mumbling retard. Then I listened closely and I realised he is better than Nas and Rakim.

CrowleyHead

That's also histronic. If anything, Gucci's remarkable quality is that he works in opposition of Rakim's philosophy of "Take a phrase that's rarely heard, flip it, now its a daily word" and does the reverse by taking all raps cliches and grossly exaggerating them to vividness. ("Photogenic chain, mayn, photographic memory" etc.). I mean, Nas just uses imagery for storytelling while Gucci uses it for advanced gestures of simile, they're not THAT FAR APART, they still write, its just different.

Its all well and good to say "Well, we're killing the real hip-hop crowd" by advancing the Migos vs. The Beatles aggenda or whatever, but its not really. Migos are technical rappers. For christ's sake, that Skippa Da Flippa tape wasn't that far divorced from Tragedy Khadafi in his 90s era. Rap makes leaps and bounds in differing directions, but nothing kills rap nor does it radically change, it just moves back and forth in differing directions, and things have precedents.

And there's dozens of 'oddball' gangster rap deviants. Look at fucking Three Six, look at say E-40, Brotha Lynch Hung, Andre Nickatina, Pretty Tone Capone (& obviously Cam'ron subsequently). Like, eccentricity is commonplace. Also he enunciates fine, he just has an accent that isn't as familar as others and digitally processes his voice on occasions. Its not that much more difficult than hearing him the first time you're heard him. I mean fuck, Kanye's digitally processed his voice on albums to the point of alien recognition, but nobody ever says "Wow I just can't understand anything Kanye is saying anymore!"

Shit, Max B enunciates stranger than him, and you've got him down pat I assume!

DannyL

Wild Horses
But you must agree Crowley, that the productions are extraordinary, right? They sound fucking amazing to me anyway.

I get what you are saying about people discounting his lyrics but I also wouldn't want to shut down discussion of what makes him different as a rapper. I've been thinking about of him as a songwriter lately, more like Future maybe? Writes killer hooks, has a great awareness of song structure but isn't doing the flashy, tight rapping beloved of old school fans and his music is better for it. There seems to be something about chanting and repetition with his lyrics as well. Thoughts welcome.

I haven't listened to the new tape yet because I can't deal with DJ Holiday over Keef's music. A friend pointed out that even this is a Gucci tribute though.

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

But you must agree Crowley, that the productions are extraordinary, right? They sound fucking amazing to me anyway.

I get what you are saying about people discounting his lyrics but I also wouldn't want to shut down discussion of what makes him different as a rapper. I've been thinking about of him as a songwriter lately, more like Future maybe? Writes killer hooks, has a great awareness of song structure but isn't doing the flashy, tight rapping beloved of old school fans and his music is better for it. There seems to be something about chanting and repetition with his lyrics as well. Thoughts welcome.

I haven't listened to the new tape yet because I can't deal with DJ Holiday over Keef's music. A friend pointed out that even this is a Gucci tribute though.

Oh the production is great usually. And even his own production, its rigidly formulaic now but he's developing so fast, and so many weird ideas. Like "Dear" sounds like it could be Aphex Twins demos before he figured his shit out.

And I don't want to throw him in the songwriter characteristic either. He cuts a v. different... He's not an outsider artist like Lil' B, but he clearly crafts his own internal 'Keef Land' of a genre. Its this sort of trappy, bass-heavy sound, where he just sort of hides away and makes threats from somewhere, being really menacing, but he also does this thing where he gets super specific to only himself. Like on one of the recent songs on the new tape he says "That bitch got mad, now she bleached all my gear!/My daughter call me up, said she gonna eat all my chips!". Its v. Wayne-like in a sense, but not in the stylistic way, more in the writing technique. And Noz from CB has spoken about how he's gotten into abstract punchlines a la Gucci... I believe the lyrics he cited was: "Do a drive-by by you/turn your ass to tofu" or vice-versa, but still.

I think the problem people have is Keef used to be so overtly anthemic but then he's withdrawn his momentum, which you hear him doing that on Bang 2 (my favorite of all his projects so far TBH) and Almighty So.

Actually, let me point to something on Almighty So to drive my point right home.

On "Blew My High" there's a point where he has a sort of internal dialog with another person, who's questioning his behavior or something...

"(Sosa... Why you get high?)
I gotta get high to balance my low
I'm moving too fast, I gotta pull over
Spend lots of cash cause I used to be broke
(Sosa... What you got that gun for?)
'cause I'mma shoot when I see my opponent.
Shoot through late ass nights and early ass mornings
Put a hole in your dog and roll me a ?????"

and then the chorus. Its right there in 1:20 in the song.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2qj2Z5ZdnhY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I can concede that in this fast-paced world of music consumption people can get lost by Keef if you're not willing to sit and sift through and really REALLY work on him. But like, he's so far from not taking rap seriously its not even funny. He's truthfully one of the better rappers right now, he just takes it to such a certain characteristic and its antithetical to his original style/career.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Excellent post Crowley. Provoking such a reaction makes me me glad I wrote something so ignorant in the first place.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Jr6zd4Yq7bE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gunplay - Tell 'Em Daddy (2015)

I'm the truth and that's the truth
I'm the screw that just went loose
I'm the liquor in your liver
I'm the pistol in your booth
I'm the coke that's in the spoon
And the elephant in the room
I'm the money under the table
When no one about the boot
I'm the gift, I'm the curse
I'm the hunger, the thirst
I'm the Hulk in the game
And I'm the reason I'm worst
I'm the dice on the grid
I'm the ice in the grill
I'm the steak, I'm the lobster
I'm the south from the bib
I'm your report on the news
I'm the cork on the booze
I'm the Bugatti pedal, I'm the soul on the shoe
I'm the tape on the pack
I'm the ape on the track
I'm that nigga that you owe
Soon as I double back

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Jr6zd4Yq7bE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gunplay - Tell 'Em Daddy (2015)

I'm the truth and that's the truth
I'm the screw that just went loose
I'm the liquor in your liver
I'm the pistol in your booth
I'm the coke that's in the spoon
And the elephant in the room
I'm the money under the table
When no one about the boot
I'm the gift, I'm the curse
I'm the hunger, the thirst
I'm the Hulk in the game
And I'm the reason I'm worst
I'm the dice on the grid
I'm the ice in the grill
I'm the steak, I'm the lobster
I'm the south from the bib
I'm your report on the news
I'm the cork on the booze
I'm the Bugatti pedal, I'm the soul on the shoe
I'm the tape on the pack
I'm the ape on the track
I'm that nigga that you owe
Soon as I double back

Gunplay, we got a kickstarter to get you back on crack

rubberdingyrapids

gunplay is the best rapper of this decade.
keef's back from the dead 2 is the best tape of the last 5 years.
he is also the best producer in rap right now.

the kendrick album has inspired some lame responses on message boards - more cornier than people who dont like rap saying that its the best rap album of the year (even if we are just in march) and im not sure this person exists actually, and makes to pimp a butterfly sound like the new arrested development album, are people who think this means its not worth paying attention to. anyway, you have to listen to it several times to really get to grips with. im still figuring it out. and seriously, who cares whether 'the kids' are into it or not. like this is a measure of its greatness. kids like a lot of shit music too. this isnt like listening to a rick ross album (and im a ross fan). you have to spend time with it and unpack it.

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

His market is his generation. I've yet to see a resounding response from his generation amongst my peer groups in various social settings. I find that of note, given the presumed stature he holds in the eyes of a critical audience.

rubberdingyrapids

i think the album does too much personally. but i want to give it a chance.

edit - actually, forget all that. this album is brilliant. the more i stick with it, the better it sounds. kendrick is a genius.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Not listened to Kendrick's album yet :eek:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MR19r-g4T5c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Young Thug - Halftime (2015)

I LOVE Young Thug on London on the Track beats, sounds so colourful, like he's rapping on a rainbow. Officially hyped for this mixtape.

The new Future tape is the opposite of rapping on a rainbow but it's pretty good if you're into hard beats plus talking in tongues through Autotune. I do miss the 'Turn on the Lights' Future, though. Sometimes when I listen to 'Monster' I think it's a complete nuke of a tune with a hook where the beat sounds like Clipz slowed down to halfspeed and Future blacking out like he's possessed by Satan. That whole tape is brillos, in actual fact.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NjVvTod8SB0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Future - Monster (2014)

luka

Didn't want to judge this before I heard it very high but i done that a bit now and it's incredibe I think
Because I'm not a good listener if people are.operating on an advanced level I need PEDs to understand

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Didn't really give barter 6 much of a chance cos I didn't like the first few tracks as much as Rich Gang but I'll give it another shot. I really like London on The Track's beats - luxurious harmonies and textures like velour and gold.

Also need to listen to the latest Pilot Talk