Caribou's 1000 track mix on YouTube

luka

i didnt think the great british mcs album was adequate when i came out so at the end of the playlist i made a counteraction. it is very educational. i didnt have to license tunes though so it was quite easy.

luka

here it is.
i might do a UK MC edit for educational purposes but i wanted to do 1001 tunes to smash Caribou.

Last edited:

bruno

est malade
there is a lot (i would say most) i've not heard from both lists, so thanks woebot ad luka. this is beautiful and makes my trip into this thread worthwhile:

IdleRich

IdleRich
I've got that album, that's the standout track along with this one which is kinda super-cheesy but still great motoric

bruno

est malade
nice. i like this a lot more than synthesist, for example, who everyone raves about but is rather dull. it makes me wonder what else i have missed on sky recs.

Woebot

i'm up to #139.

passed through quite a lot of basically very boring disco tracks.

but still a good few interesting things.

Benny Bunter

cheers benny. will investigate - scrutinise - and brutally criticize

only kidding 'bout the last one ;-)

haha, i'm not sure this list will do anything to convert dissenters, but at the very least check out the funkystepz tunes on there, i think you might like them.

now you have to do one to smash Luka's ;)

Tim Reaper

green bay crew.
No, that statement stands man. Speed was fucking awful, one of the lamest clubs I've ever been to. Horrid, just horrid.
Yeah, fair enough that Speed may not be towards yours or his tastes and all, but it's a bit of an odd statement to rule out the kind of tunes played at Metalheadz, whilst including tunes that were released on Metalheadz. Seems like a bit of a contradiction to me. And even if he's just going for a representation of the UK MC culture which wasn't exactly represented fully at Headz nights, this tune on Headz defo deserves a mention.

Last edited:

Woebot

nearly finished

on track #989. nearly listened to the whole darn thing.

i've greatly enjoyed this. he's good on "digger" breaks. lots of nice jazz (nice is the correct word of course). sweet bits of bollywood funk. some cool baldelli-type stuff. some really fantastic bits of house i missed - most especially kenlou's "bounce" - an unbelievably fine track. some good rock.

i would say though:

a) found the disco a bit blah. just a bit ordinary. sorry if you're reading this caribou (i mean - people google don't they?)

b) quite a stunning lack of reggae - a total of four songs (or thereabouts) - that certainly reflects american music tastes. americans frequently don't seem to get reggae or dub. it's a generalisation - but i'll defend it. rare is the american who does. i think it's seen through the prism of funk which distorts its combinative/deconstructed essence.

ANYWAY - a great tour through an expert's tastes - we'd all make a different one - and therein lies the charm. now onto luke's!

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Never got anywhere near finishing mine, which in any case went off the rails fairly quickly in terms of any conceptual element holding things together. The one thing it did do for me was kick starting an obsession with making playlists on YouTube. Never really thought about doing it before but now it seems like one of the best ways to create mixtapes online.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
id do one but it'd go from mizell brothers (johnny hammond, don't knock it till you've heard it) to hard acid on dbn.