My 1001 song playlist. Just for you London (and surrounding counties)

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I don't think the more obscure videos will get taken down and a lot of the big ones are now on VEVO and so protected by copyright.

''Shit man, we go out in the streets at night, fuss and fight..." I really recognise this sample, think it must be from my DNB days.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
and Fabulous Baker Boys sampled it for the equally great Rumours (incorrectly attributed to someone else here, seemingly cos it's slightly pitched up, leading to a sparkling ruckus in the comments)

bassnation

the abyss

a 1000 +1 song playlist centred around London and it's musical culture including, right at the end, important and righteous documents concerning the birth of a distinctive UK MC culture with its roots in soundsystems like Saxon, Unity and Sir Coxsone and flowering throughout the 90s and 00s with London heros, warriors, poets and saints such as Ragga Twins, Navigator, Det, 5-0, Remadee, Stevie Hyper D, Shabba D, Skibadee, Rodney P, Creed, PSG, Tek, Preshus, Mighty Moe, Bushkin, So Solid Crew, Pay As You Go Kartel, Roll Deep, More Fire Crew, Nasty Crew and many many more. Please remember this playlist is for purposes of EDUTAINMENT. Educate and Entertain yourself and most importantly, Teach the Children.

Thank you so much for this Luka. What a gargantuan effort - I like the focus too, it's the spirit of London rather than the letter. Such a broad sweep too.

bun-u

Trumpet Police
great work luka - this work will eventually be listed by some web-cultural-preservation-agency in the future

luka

Thank you very much. I'm so happy you like it. I'm just a humble man who offered the world a playlist and asked for nothing in return but love

luka

Hah He has. This is gunna make him famous

Overjoyed to hear you approved matthew

bruno

est malade
good stuff. it made me time travel to my 15 year old self in the company of some uk hip hop heads who produced a tape beginning with this:

i remember the rush of excitement as the stipped down, evil, accelerated bomb squad-type rhythm reset my expectations of music. this was the future. i began a quiet search to procure similar stuff. i failed. only later (after a detour) did i experience a similar rush with digeridoo, i luv you, etc..

thanks luka!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Been listening for a few hours now - I know virtually nothing about most of the kinds of music on this but I've loved almost everything so far. Remains to be seen whether it can cure me of my visceral dislike of about 98% of r'n'b.

Cheers Luke, great work.

Edit: did Freestyle rip off Salt N Pepa, or vice-versa?

Last edited:

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Joining the love-in on this - still working my way through the 1st 100 but it really is great so far.
I'm in a slightly odd position in that I'm familiar with most of the ardcore/jungle/garage/grime stuff but with the hip-hop/r&b/reggae/dancehall that's the inspiration and source-material for a lot of it I only really known the obvious stuff tbh. Hopefully the playlist should help me explore a lot deeper and I'm expecting plenty of 'oh so that's where the sample's from' moments (already had a few).
Nice one Luka :)

luka

really happy if youre discovering tunes andy.
did Freestyle rip off Salt N Pepa, or vice-versa?

i dunno? what songs?
pleased youre enjoying it. it wont convert you to r&b i dont think unless its a nostalgia thing. like the new jack swing bits and the hiphop soul bits are very of their time and might please for that reason alone

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
i dunno? what songs?

The synth-strings on Don't Stop The Rock bear more than a passing resemblance to those on Push It, don't you think?

it wont convert you to r&b i dont think unless its a nostalgia thing. like the new jack swing bits and the hiphop soul bits are very of their time and might please for that reason alone

You're right, still can't stand that ultra-slick r'n'b sound, although the Aaliyah tune is quite good. I like a lot of the late-80s/early-90s rap-soul stuff.

luka

well dont stop the rock came out first but i have to admit i never noticed the resemblance. will listen now.

benw

luka your playlist says on dissensus its 1001 the youtube list is titled 1000 but the youtube list has 1002 inside it. is this some kind of trick / hidden message??