Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My 1001 song playlist. Just for you London (and surrounding counties)

Caribou's started a trend like Nek Nominate

Hah He has. This is gunna make him famous

Overjoyed to hear you approved matthew

good stuff. it made me time travel to my 15 year old self in the company of some uk hip hop heads who produced a tape beginning with this:

i remember the rush of excitement as the stipped down, evil, accelerated bomb squad-type rhythm reset my expectations of music. this was the future. i began a quiet search to procure similar stuff. i failed. only later (after a detour) did i experience a similar rush with digeridoo, i luv you, etc..

thanks luka!

Been listening for a few hours now - I know virtually nothing about most of the kinds of music on this but I've loved almost everything so far. Remains to be seen whether it can cure me of my visceral dislike of about 98% of r'n'b.

Cheers Luke, great work.

Edit: did Freestyle rip off Salt N Pepa, or vice-versa?
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 26-01-2015 at 03:16 PM.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Joining the love-in on this - still working my way through the 1st 100 but it really is great so far.
    I'm in a slightly odd position in that I'm familiar with most of the ardcore/jungle/garage/grime stuff but with the hip-hop/r&b/reggae/dancehall that's the inspiration and source-material for a lot of it I only really known the obvious stuff tbh. Hopefully the playlist should help me explore a lot deeper and I'm expecting plenty of 'oh so that's where the sample's from' moments (already had a few).
    Nice one Luka

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    'Champion' what a tune
    This x 1000.

Obviously it would be super-long for me to liveblog all my favourite discoveries from this, but for now I'll just add that Strafe - Set It Off is amazing.

really happy if youre discovering tunes andy.
    did Freestyle rip off Salt N Pepa, or vice-versa?
    i dunno? what songs?
    pleased youre enjoying it. it wont convert you to r&b i dont think unless its a nostalgia thing. like the new jack swing bits and the hiphop soul bits are very of their time and might please for that reason alone

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    i dunno? what songs?
    The synth-strings on Don't Stop The Rock bear more than a passing resemblance to those on Push It, don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    it wont convert you to r&b i dont think unless its a nostalgia thing. like the new jack swing bits and the hiphop soul bits are very of their time and might please for that reason alone
    You're right, still can't stand that ultra-slick r'n'b sound, although the Aaliyah tune is quite good. I like a lot of the late-80s/early-90s rap-soul stuff.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

well dont stop the rock came out first but i have to admit i never noticed the resemblance. will listen now.

luka your playlist says on dissensus its 1001 the youtube list is titled 1000 but the youtube list has 1002 inside it. is this some kind of trick / hidden message??

Quote Originally Posted by benw View Post
    luka your playlist says on dissensus its 1001 the youtube list is titled 1000 but the youtube list has 1002 inside it. is this some kind of trick / hidden message??
    Lol, you mean you haven't figured it out yet? Haha, what a dunce!

i like the way this looks like a smile full of missing teeth now

as things have developed the massive blind spot in this list is road rap and south london. but i would have had to blag it.

partially redeemed by the prescient chicago drill section. not everyone saw that coming.
    Last edited by luka; 05-05-2018 at 11:30 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

a lot of people thought that was out of place in a london playlist in 2015.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post: