My 1001 song playlist. Just for you London (and surrounding counties)

DannyL

Wild Horses
The big difference is the element of curation. Someone sharing their knowledge. I guess you guess this on some YT channel (and obvs in Luka's list) though I would imagine the listening figures are smaller. Even if they're similar they're probably dispersed geographically. They don't come together to create the same culture - clubs etc. Maybe bigger channels like GRM Daily do, I don't know?

There are a few small scale web based radio stations now, that have a similar function to pirates - and the same personnel in some cases, see Mi-Soul in the obituary above. One of my mates does a great rocksteady and ska show on Back2Back FM though it's proper geriatrics at the BBQ music.

Last edited:

luka

Yeah probably the dj/host role was way more important than anyone appreciated. It made the music sound better. You listened through their ears and caught the germ of their enjoyment and enthusiasm. They taught you how to hear it. This play list obviously can't do that. (And half the songs have already disappeared)

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
As always banging my head against a long-locked door here cos I have no idea how teenagers relate to music these days - if they listen to DJs on 1xtra and Rinse or if they rely more on Link Up, SBTV, Grm Daily etc...

Having somebody select music FOR you without at least the illusion of choice is quite a dated concept now, isn't it? People want to be able to listen to precisely what they want to listen to.

DannyL

Wild Horses
There's also just that sharing of knowledge, pre-internet, allied with that music nerd's love of obscurity. I'm maybe deviating from your list Luke, as you were listing stuff that had widespread contemporary popularity, not curate's eggs. But that was part of the pirate experience for me.

A for instance - I remember finally hearing Jayne Cortez's "I see Chano Pozo" on a Galliano show after reading of it on a list by Jonathon Moore of Coldcut years before and it being every bit as good as I hoped.

This became a big tune for me and a few mates after hearing it on Joey Jay's show:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Yeah probably the dj/host role was way more important than anyone appreciated. It made the music sound better. You listened through their ears and caught the germ of their enjoyment and enthusiasm. They taught you how to hear it. This play list obviously can't do that. (And half the songs have already disappeared)

When's your next radio show?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'm naive about all this stuff I would have thought you don't even need a radio station anymore

Although you'd need a microphone and - I dunno, traktor or spotify or something?

blissblogger

like letting all the music nerds into your bedroom, to school you profoundly

that's quite different to the appeal of the pirates to me! the opposite in fact - more like letting all the truants and wrong uns into your living room to lead you profoundly astray

i guess there were pirates, and pirates

Last edited:

DannyL

Wild Horses
that's quite different to the appeal of the pirates to me! the opposite in fact - more like letting all the truants and wrong uns into your living room to lead you profoundly astray

i guess there were pirates, and pirates

Yeah, I guess I can think of two clear types, if not more. Stations like Kiss seems rooted in West End clubbing, scenes that were a little bit elitist. Brings to mind memories of going to The Wag Club when very young, and feeling intimidated by the amazing dancing of a lot of the black guys there. Very rooted in classic US black musics, soul, boogie and jazz. Stations like Fantasy and Centreforce (my faves) had a much wider demographic, were post-88, part of the rave boom, and were more about straight up dance music, and served as a reminder/appetiser for getting mashed at the weekend. The pure reggae stations would be another type again.

other_life

bioconfused
They do do this, it's just people curating 24-hour playlists and livestreaming on YouTube rather than broadcasting on radio. It's all stuff like this:

i can't emphasise enough how much i hate shit like this and letting spotify curate for you, also. it's all listless bland bullshit
although i guess it's an inevitable part of 'music becoming indistinguishable from the general ambience of sound'
DE MATE RIAL ISATION

other_life

bioconfused
oh god the fake/created just for spotify shit drives me up a WALL even more than "24 hour chill music bro"
why did it have to be *music* i got into. this shit's so dysfunctional. what is even the point anymore?
(gettin off topic sorry)
i'm slowly putting together a youtube playlist of just grime and dubstep 2000-2005 from what's listed on discogs

luka

Me and Barty met a young lad on Wednesday who said grime would never have existed without Mike Skinner. He also thought it started in about 2006 and his favourite MC was Frisco.

Well confusing. What are they teaching the kids nowadays?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I've lately noticed (or renoticed, it should be) that I've taken to using music as wallpaper to read to. It came to me that that's why I've stopped really liking some of it. Usually I use classical for that purpose and it's become this sort of hold music.

Appreciating art (in the widest sense) is all about focusing attention, in my experience. That's why literature is *somewhat* immune to becoming ambience - because you have to read it. Whereas a painting you can see even if you're not looking, and music you can hear if you're not listening. When I'm stoned I have a much greater appreciation of art and music, because it heightens my senses and makes me focus. Whereas when I READ stoned (unless it's a very short poem, e.g.), I can't concentrate because I start focusing on every single little detail and the bigger "picture" breaks apart.

I guess if you're going to use music to read to, it might as well be bland music, because using interesting music to do it is either going to fuck up your reading or do the music an injustice.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I remember when I was a teenager I'd stick on a CD and just sit there listening attentively to it. Not playing a video game or reading or anything. I can't imagine doing that now! In those days it felt like music was the most exciting and interesting thing in the room, so why would I do anything else?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Me and Barty met a young lad on Wednesday who said grime would never have existed without Mike Skinner. He also thought it started in about 2006 and his favourite MC was Frisco.

Well confusing. What are they teaching the kids nowadays?

That's nothing, someone i was talking to from rotherham was emphatically trying to convince me it was uk hip hop. i even had to tell em to ask bloody ash sarkar even she would agree with me even though she's into that mans not hot abomination.