My 1001 song playlist. Just for you London (and surrounding counties)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
luka your playlist says on dissensus its 1001 the youtube list is titled 1000 but the youtube list has 1002 inside it. is this some kind of trick / hidden message??

Lol, you mean you haven't figured it out yet? Haha, what a dunce!

luka

as things have developed the massive blind spot in this list is road rap and south london. but i would have had to blag it.

partially redeemed by the prescient chicago drill section. not everyone saw that coming.

Last edited:

luka

4th anniversary of this. Barty was 20 and had never heard a jungle or a uk garage tune. It really changed peoples lives. Big moment in history. Momentous

sadmanbarty

not in an articulate or particularly profound place tonight, but do want this thread to get going, so i'll post a series of nuggets and innanities in the hope someone will pick up on them and make this cleaver.

sadmanbarty

1) this is celebrating and canonising a london that ceased to exist around 2010.

[i'm going to write a vigilant citizen article saying that the 2012 olympic opening ceremony was a masonic ritual. the sacrifice was london itself.]

sadmanbarty

2) what stuff from luke's canon would survive into the 'post-2010 london' cannon?

aaliyah definitely. she's the kurt cobain of my generation. morover we're still largely communicating with timbalands rhtymic language in the same way that early 90's rap was still using george clintons.

that turn of the millenium dancehall possibly does. just about though. any dancehall older than that is heavy-set jamaican-uncle-getting-his-old-soundsystem-out-at-the-barbeque music. (that wasn't intentionally meant to represent droid although the similarities are hard to deny).

hardcore no.

jungle? hard to say. on the one hand drill drums bear a striking resemblance to jungle, on the other hand i can't think of any kids i know who would've been much exposed to jungle other then as parents music.

all that east coast rap's a big no. very much time barrier. even mid-90's stuff is deemed proper old man music.

there's something more interesting to be said about what's been kept and what hasn't

sadmanbarty

3) the london the playlist eulogises was one that was able to sustain far broader social coalitions in terms of race and class than london now.

the division between, say, lower middle class and working class black kids now is stark.

this is because the cultural centre of gravity in pre-2010 london was demographically-integrated east london whereas now it racially-segregated south london.

sadmanbarty

4) hipster's didn't really have their own sub-culture back in the london luke's documented.

this meant that hipsters (crudely defined for my purposes as people having eclectic and obscure music tastes) had to attach themselves to already-established cultures. in doing so they acted as cultural conduits; they could inject their eclecticism into other people's music.

goldie, whoever the fuck it was getting fun people listen to rubbish house and broken beat at the inception of funky etc....

craner

Beast of Burden
It was great monument. I was outside of this, picking up transmissions from Wales with various trips to the city with tapes to record the pirates until 2000 when I finally moved there, and from that perspective it was spot on. It was all about the pirate stations which was a load of music but mostly the stuff Luke put in there, which I liked anyway. It should be a permanent monument.

craner

Beast of Burden
When I left London in 2009 it didn't really exist anymore and I think that is because pirate radio was irrelevant by then. One of my motivations to move to London was to get the pirates which had transfixed since one of my trips to London in '93. They were a central factor and driver, I think, of the best music in the UK for a decade.

droid

that turn of the millenium dancehall possibly does. just about though. any dancehall older than that is heavy-set jamaican-uncle-getting-his-old-soundsystem-out-at-the-barbeque music. (that wasn't intentionally meant to represent droid although the similarities are hard to deny).

And yet, Dave Kelly's early 90's productions STILL sound more avant and radical than anything from the last 20 years.

luka

I think it's all great obviously but I do find it interesting doing experiments on barty to see what does and doesn't transmit it's energy through time. The '80s is completely unreachable for him and the early'90s pretty much the same.

DannyL

Wild Horses
3) the london the playlist eulogises was one that was able to sustain far broader social coalitions in terms of race and class than london now.

the division between, say, lower middle class and working class black kids now is stark.

this is because the cultural centre of gravity in pre-2010 london was demographically-integrated east london whereas now it racially-segregated south london.

I thought this was a really good point. Thinking about drill it's such a paranoid, inward turning music - the masks, the gnomic (to me anyway) references to obscure beefs, the anger. It's so different to more multicultural scenes like jungle and most of the London musics that preceded it. it's weird how much you can read it as response to austerity and a wider closure of possibilities for young people. I'm not super deep into it but it occurred to me last night, I've never seen a white drill MC.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Totally agreed with Craner about pirates. They were epochal, Kiss pre-legalisation was incredible. It was like letting all the music nerds into your bedroom, to school you profoundly. Norman Jay, Trevor Madhatter, Coldcut, Danny Rampling, Paul Anderson, Colin Dale, Jazzie B, Manessah & Joey J bringing up the roots rearguard ....straight fire all weekend.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Not forgetting everyone's favourite insane Uncle, the mighty Westwood, and loads of other obscure music nerds with superdeep collections, who spilled over onto stations like Starpoint. It does feel like history to me now, such a long time ago. Paul Anderson's recent death comes to mind as kind of marker: https://www.residentadvisor.net/news/42904