Greece vs 'The World'

Zekk

It is hilarious to see from a Portuguese perspective. The Portuguese prime minister won't even pronounce Tspiras' name and called his government an impossible fairy tale.

luka

I remember arguing with customers in 2011 or 2012 about Greece. I thought they should default. My current entirely predictable position is they are quite right to tell wonga fuck off can't pay won't pay. You're a bunch of shark cunts

bruno

est malade
I remember arguing with customers in 2011 or 2012 about Greece. I thought they should default. My current entirely predictable position is they are quite right to tell wonga fuck off can't pay won't pay. You're a bunch of shark cunts
the irony is that greece approved debt relief for germany after the war, now germany and europe ask greece to give a considerable part of its gdp for thirty years in exchange for a rescue. ignoring the cost of nazi-era pillage (syriza says it amounts to €279 billion) and greek corruption (it is an issue) the solution should be political.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I read the other day that the total debt is equivalent to a quarter of a million US$ per working adult. Granted, Greece has huge unemployment and a large proportion of its adults are either studying or retired at any one time, but that's a craaazy amount of money.

Last edited:

Leo

so what's the solution? cut them loose and let them fend for themselves/sink? continue to give them loans they'll never be able to repay? what are the chances they'd be able to turn things around even if they received debt forgiveness?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Fuck knows. Tell the troika to get stuffed, ditch the euro/reinstate the drachma, stop spending silly money on tanks/planes/warships it doesn't need, start actually taxing people, hope their new cheaper currency tempts more overseas tourists? Maybe.

Last edited:

trza

They have some kind of system where the government pays a certain amount to the Orthodox Church every year, and the church owns tons of land and developments and doesn't pay taxes and is politically protected from ever doing so.

Both Greece and PR have economies where the best and hardest working and most ambitious just leave for Germany or NYC as soon as they are done with school. That kind of system makes tax collecting and recouping investments in health and education nearly impossible.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
They also have by far the biggest proportional military spending in the EU (or did a few years ago, they might have reined it in a bit since then), an economic elite that makes the UK's multimillionaires look like amateurs in the sport of tax avoidance, a colossally bloated civil service and loads of jobs from which you can retire on full state pension at 50.

Basically it's not hard to see how they've got into the situation they're in. The problem is that while there are obvious ways big money could be recouped (cutting military spending, taxing the rich) these are naturally going to be resisted by powerful people and, as usual, it's going to be ordinary people who get it in the neck.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.

that's a great article, thanks. gets to the heart of the need to sustain a collective 'ethical' narrative, even when that narrative is completely crazy and founded on lies and half-truths. Same goes for Tory austerity policy of course - warped ideological conviction masquerading as economic science.

Krugman good as well I think - http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/29/opinion/paul-krugman-greece-over-the-brink.html?_r=0 - again, how many times does it need to be said that austerity has only produced results where the currency in question has been devalued by a large amount to make exports competitive?

"If you add up all the austerity measures, they have been more than enough to eliminate the original deficit and turn it into a large surplus." - would be useful to have actual figures here though, too lazy to search for them now...

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I read the other day that the total debt is equivalent to a quarter of a million US$ per working adult. Granted, Greece has huge unemployment and a large proportion of its adults are either studying or retired at any one time, but that's a craaazy amount of money.

if there were 1.4 million working adults in Greece (debt is 316 billion euros, it says here), then that sounds about right...but I think there's about 7 million between 18 and 64, so must be at least 4 million working adults even with 25% unemployment and lots of studying?

Leo

not uncommon for conservative politicians use "austerity" as an excuse to cut programs they never liked and always wanted to get rid of.