CONDIMENTS

luka

mc%2Bcurry.JPG

Sufi, that first sauce reminds me of one of my favourites. Aji from Peru, great with chicken. i've only ever had it fresh but, in keeping with the thread, here's a bottle, yesterday.

aji_salsa_verde.jpg

Fish and chip places that don't offer HP or any alternative brown sauces - they should be in another business, clueless. Fish and chips + curry sauce and HP, a strong combination.

Last edited:

luka

I never seen a chippy with brown sauce tbh except in Edinburgh where they mix it with 2/3rds water to make their special chip sauce

In Australia they put salt and msg on chips.
chicken_salt_seasoning.png

Last edited:

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Sriracha's kind of a hype / backlash thing, isn't it? It's really good in a fairly basic chilli / garlic / msg sort of way, but enough people spend enough time going on about it like it's the very nectar of the gods that another section of people get annoyed and conclude that it's overhyped shit.

Reactions: sus

luka

In the '90s sweet chilli sauce was highly sophisticated. The parents of my most effortlessly middle class friends would only buy this brand
THMPLOY007.jpg

Last edited:

Leo

Sriracha's kind of a hype / backlash thing, isn't it? It's really good in a fairly basic chilli / garlic / msg sort of way, but enough people spend enough time going on about it like it's the very nectar of the gods that another section of people get annoyed and conclude that it's overhyped shit.

exactly. there was a big thing last year when the city (near LA) threatened to close the factory due to noxious odors that were making nearby residents sick. worshipping foodie blogger were outraged, posted lots of dumb stories about protests and hoarding bottles. i think it's good but nothing to get excited about.

and yes luka, looks like chow-chow is similar to piccalilli, but chow-chow looks more like a chunky relish than a mustard. perhaps similar ingredients and flavor but different texture/consistency.