CONDIMENTS

catalog

i dunno cos i never eat big macs but i often mix ketchup and mayo if im doing myself a chicken burger and also put a pickle in there and it does that job, possibly even better

Leo

I haven't had a Big Mac in about 25 years but recall the special sauce being in the ketchup-mayo family, with some other seasoning.

catalog

it's OK. it's like a worcestorshire sauce. ther'es no difference, maybe worcestershire sauce is a bit sweeter or spicier. i did my MA in sheffield and used to walk past the hendersons factory a lot. stank, but in a good way.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I dunno if this is exactly a condiment but it has such a strong and delicious spicy umami taste that you can use it as one.
Does anyone know what it is though? Got it in the Chinese supermarket and it seems to be fermented cabbage and peppers, not in brine so not nearly as slimy and sour as kim-chi, despite the similarities it's totally different.

Attachments

• 20200919_220613.jpg
    20200919_220613.jpg
    694.7 KB · Views: 11

IdleRich

IdleRich
I almost asked the woman who works in the Chinese shop down the road today... but then I remembered we don't have a common language so what good would it do?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Ketchup is The condiment. Desert island condiment, best tasting, broadest range.
This is kind of true up to a point. Ketchup is the safest condiment (well with the possible exception of mayo), it goes with lots of foods pretty well. If you were somehow in the slightly artificial - well, frankly unlikely - situation wherin a host had kindly offered you dinner which was about to arrive and was also offering you your choice of any condiment to accompany it and which, once the meal arrived, you absolutely HAD to put on it in large quantities, while at the same time he refused to give you any clue whatsoever as to what the meal he was serving would be, then, yes indeed, ketchup would be hard to avoid choosing as the safest of all possible pairs of safe hands.
However, out in the real world, once safely out of the clutches of the tyrannical condiment enforcer that I just invented, I - and probably many other dissensians, who whatever their faults, do tend to be mavericks who are looking deeper for new, more inventive and stronger stimulations whether it be in the field of music, film or condiments - would probably go for something I really liked a lot in preference to the reliable old ketchup even though with that you know exactly where you stand.
In short, for those of us such as myself who search for more than the median, the bog-standard, the safe pair of hands, we need qualities way beyong "a broad range" when choosing something to improve our food. In fact those adventurers in culture who find themselves here are unlikely to be satisfied with this kind of anti-risk, meat and potatoes style eating. If you asked lots of people to give condiments a score out of ten then ketchup would surely score six or more from almost everyone, it might even score the highest overall mark as a kind of jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none type thing, but that's not what I consider the mark of the greatest condiment. I want something that gets ten out of ten from the cognoscenti (ie me) and zero from those who clearly haven't the sophistication to grasp the complexity of things I like.

Last edited:

sus

Beautifully put Rich.

I think cuisine for me is my "safe" medium. I think all people have em. Something that'll always be reliable, not much exploration happening. I have eaten spaghetti and marinara and parmesan every night for years on end (5 years I think). It's a perfect dish for me, I could eat it every night and never want otherwise.

I think this lets me get exploratory and risk-seeking in other media

luka

You put ketchup on spaghetti Mariana? Americans are amazing, no rules, no respect. Pure id