Aphex File Dump

Woebot

some nice stuff in here

most especially enjoyed the fungle here

<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src=""></iframe>

could never have been released at the time because it's so cheeky and generic - but that's precisely what makes it so strong

philblackpool

gamelanstep
I've been enjoying this greatly. Career-spanning outtakes boxset in the making? Some stuff uberfans will know, some junk, mainly great vintage.

Woebot

he's actually put out very little in the way of LPs

http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/aphex_twin

i'll be honest - back in the day i thought aphex was strictly student fare - indie dance in all but name - not proper stuff in the way that fr'instance the black dog was - but as i get older i've grown more affection for his stuff.

the new acoustic instruments thing is brilliant if you havent heard it yet.

droid

he's actually put out very little in the way of LPs

http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/aphex_twin

i'll be honest - back in the day i thought aphex was strictly student fare - indie dance in all but name - not proper stuff in the way that fr'instance the black dog was - but as i get older i've grown more affection for his stuff.

the new acoustic instruments thing is brilliant if you havent heard it yet.

SAW 1 was one of three CD's I bought in 92 when I decided to check out all this 'electronic stuff', and all the early material - Polygon Window, the R&S singles, SAW 2 - were all fairly hardcore genre records. What made him stand out was his warmth and singular approach to melody. If he had a 'studenty' period it was in the late 90's - RDJ and on from there. I think he spoiled me for more conventional electronica actually, took me ages to get into AE and a lot of WARP stuff after him.

The robot acoustic LP is really good. Have to pick up the vinyl and try it at both speeds.

droid

But yeah, this file dump is the 21st century electronic equivalent of the basement tapes. A pile of unreleased material from the most fertile period of an iconoclastic artist, but playing out in real time on the internet. The WATMM thread is hilarious "he's actually on there now putting stuff up..." "Ive been pressing f5 every 10 minutes for the last three days...".

bruno

est malade
the difference between richard and the rest is that his music felt natural and effortless, like a lush wild garden tended by an eccentric gardener, in contrast other musicians were (often inspired) gardeners tending to one type of flower in different colours in an orderly arrangement. this is why it was so striking at the time, it felt natural, vast, complex and personal yet effortless.

philblackpool

gamelanstep
But yeah, this file dump is the 21st century electronic equivalent of the basement tapes. A pile of unreleased material from the most fertile period of an iconoclastic artist, but playing out in real time on the internet. The WATMM thread is hilarious "he's actually on there now putting stuff up..." "Ive been pressing f5 every 10 minutes for the last three days...".

"We need to decide an agreed way of tagging the tracks...I personally think we don't need to keep the track numbers as part of the titles"

Woebot

The robot acoustic LP is really good. Have to pick up the vinyl and try it at both speeds.

its quite confusing what is the correct speed! though i prefer 33 - at 45 they sound like quite generic dance music/tripHop

if it is in fact *really* midi-triggering acoustic instruments (and not samples as i fear)- he missed a major trick because WHY NO VIDEOS???? it would be great to watch this stuff in action wouldn't it.... perhaps i should offer to go film them?

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Given their both on Warp, it's surprising he didn't do something similar video wise to Squarepusher's Music For Robots thing:

It's incredibly impressive, whatever you think of the music itself. I didn't think music of this complexity played by machines on 'real instruments' would be possible.

droid

Technical nightmare as well. A sign of masochism if you ask me. The worst of both worlds.