A Dummy's Guide To ____

DannyL

Wild Horses
And what do you think of the Kendrick, Corpsey?

I think it's a really interesting record but I don't know if it's a good one. I'm finding it so overproduced that it's hard to let the lyrics shine as they should. Outkast knitted different ideas together in a way that seemed seamless, and made the juxtaposition exciting - this record feels like a mess to me. I feel he's on a whistlestop tour of every great moment in black music history and it screams GREAT ARTISTIC STATEMENT a bit too much.

It will be the year end "rap album for everyone who never listens to rap" I predict.

ALSO worst album title in hip hop history?

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

Nobody in my school has listened to Kendrick on speakers in this past week or so. I still hear a lot of Drake and Big Sean and J Cole. Keep in mind, this his his supposed core audience.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Yeah, I wondered if it'd be appealing to teenagers. Some of the students here really dug Good Kid MAAD City, and I could see why. It had an intellectual hook alongside the tunes. I wondered if the new album might be too obtuse. It's a critical darling though - or at least a hit with all the broadsheet reviewers who only listen to one hip hop album a year.

I think he's a great rapper but I cannot hang with the production. I kinda want the equivalent of a No DJ version but with the beats.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Even when he actually gets a decent groove on ("King Kunta") has a gratuitous electric guitar solo over the end.

(have to say, it is growing on me though).

Last edited:

forclosure

Somebody in here should be able to school me on Omar S

i heard "The Best" a while back and was like "damn this is really good" and now basically just want to hear more

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Flying Gorgars
Set It Out
Psychotic Photosynthesis
Here's Your Trance Now Dance!
It's Money In The D
Just Ask The Lonely
Sarah

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

Always There, one of my favourites. I guess Set It Out is my favourite, but also love Flying Gorgars and Trance/Dance. And Psychotic Photosynthesis is his pinnacle probably. IMO