0 0%
  • Diamonds and Pearls (1991)

0 0%
  • Love Symbol Album (1992)

0 0%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PRINCE ALBUM POLL

Quote Originally Posted by rubberdingyrapids View Post
    lovesexy live (from the videos/dvds) both should have been released as live albums really..
    Yeah, my father has a shitty recording of when he did Pay Per View for the Lovesexy tour, he was honestly at the peak of his live powers. My dad also ADORES Lovesexy as an album, which is funny as critical consensus is that "Oh, if only he'd stuck with the Black Album, he used too many tracks and its overstuffed..."

I think Prince revival is also integral to the fact that his influence was all over. Obviously house and techno is forever indebted to him, I mean Jamie Principle is such a little Prince biter its adorable. Obviously his continued influence on R&B....

There's also the indie fascination with him; its less discussed but I think indie people recognize Prince before they'd ever identify with Madonna or MJ. Those guys are entertainers, they possess savvy but Prince is a 'artiste'; temperamental, stuffy, has opinions upon music. Possesses musicianship but never gets too proggy, and favors a minimal style. Specifically there's a Smog song about him making him this dark, melodramatic figure, and Yo La Tengo did a whole tribute album to him.

you could make an amazing album out of lovesexy and the black album.

side one
    "Le Grind" – 6:44
    "Cindy C." – 6:15
    "Superfunkycalifragisexy" – 5:55
    "2 Nigs United 4 West Compton" – 7:01
    "Rockhard in a Funky Place" – 4:31

side two
    "Eye No" 5:47
    "Alphabet St." 5:38
    "Glam Slam" 5:04
    "Anna Stesia" 4:56
    "When 2 R in Love" – 3:59 †
    "I Wish U Heaven" 2:43
    Last edited by rubberdingyrapids; 18-03-2015 at 03:09 PM.

Never used to get Prince, got as far as buying a greatest hits comp and downloading 'Dirty Mind' and then lost interest, not out of any hatred for Prince, but because I have the attention span of a gnat. So I love ''I Would Die 4 U'' and a lot of the other obvious big singles but I've not heard any of the albums (aside from being massively underwhelmed by ''Sign of the Times'' when I listened to it).

I really like D'Angelo and ''The Love Below'' so I probably SHOULD listen to and like Prince, shouldn't I? I suppose a barrier for me has been that it's always seemed quite difficult to nick his music off the internet. Nowadays most of my music is nicked so Prince gets the bozack.

just get the hits/the b sides album.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    I suppose a barrier for me has been that it's always seemed quite difficult to nick his music off the internet. Nowadays most of my music is nicked so Prince gets the bozack.

Fyi u can nick his entire discog at the most obvious place on the web. What i really want is live concerts and films though. Still not seen purple rain yet!

Id say the essential albums are dirty mind, controversy, 1999, purple rain, parade, sott, and that hits/bsides comp. I know practically nothing of his post 80s albums though.
    Last edited by Benny B; 19-03-2015 at 09:11 AM.

i made a 90s prince comp a while ago, prob missing some good songs out but was trying to prune for the best -

Can't Stop This Feeling I Got
    The Question of U
    We Can Funk
    Joy In Repetition
    Thieves in the Temple
    Diamonds and Pearls
    Cream
    Gett Off (promo version)
    (i would put daddy pop in here but i hate the rap)
    Walk Don't Walk
    Money Don't Matter 2 Night
    Insatiable
    the morning papers
    and god created woman
    pink cashmere
    Papa
    Dark
    dont talk to strangers
    she spoke to me
    dolphin
    shhh
    shy
    billy jack bitch
    eye hate u
    rock n roll is alive (and it lives in mpls)
    dinner with delores
    had u
    courtin time
    in this bed i scream
    soul sanctuary
    curious child
    dreamin about u
    holy river
    lets have a baby
    my computer
    one of us
    the love we make
    circle of amour
    the other side of the pillow
    animal kingdom
    Rave Un2 the Joy Fantastic
    so far so pleased
    i love u but i dont trust u anymore
    tangerine

Poll says it all. Only 4 people in the world actually like Prince.

dissensus doesnt really like funk. or pop.

Dissensus is fucking full of shit sometimes, besides there was a eons old Prince thread once that they're probably wishing they could go back to.

Diamonds & Pearls is a great 90s album, after that it all starts to go horribly wrong until Musicology. I blame the fat drummer.

There's about six or seven people left on here nowadays, so that's actually a close to 100% turnout.

i love prince

i voted for sign of the times but probably 1999 is a more honest answer
    i critically listened to 1999 a month ago, front to back, on the hi-fi - haven't revisited the rest of his catalog in a while

i have huge respect for musicians that play all the instruments on their albums (in the case of prince's first album and 1999) - is there a list for this? mccartney ii (i know people love to hate this record but i am a fan), emmit rhodes S/T, Stevie Wonder's Music of My Mind...

also, i've heard that prince's philosophy in the studio is to have each instrument hold its own, even when you fade out the instruments - i do find this to be the case with his albums. you can dedicate a listening to, say, just concentrating on the bass - with good results.

anyway, yeah - PRINCE!

Quote Originally Posted by empty mirror View Post
    is there a list for this? mccartney ii (i know people love to hate this record but i am a fan), emmit rhodes S/T, Stevie Wonder's Music of My Mind...
    Trent Reznor builds tracks just by himself playing everything, and then he'll draft in pro-hitters such as like Adrian Belew or whomever.

Todd Rundgren obv.

^ yes!

always thought prince must be a todd rungren fan. i forget which song it was, maybe circle of amour, it sounded very todd. but they both have a (sometimes unfortunate) weakness for capturing the moment rather than fleshing material out.