• Graffiti Bridge (1990)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Diamonds and Pearls (1991)

• Love Symbol Album (1992)

• Total voters

rubberdingyrapids

i made a 90s prince comp a while ago, prob missing some good songs out but was trying to prune for the best -

Can't Stop This Feeling I Got
The Question of U
We Can Funk
Joy In Repetition
Thieves in the Temple
Diamonds and Pearls
Cream
Gett Off (promo version)
(i would put daddy pop in here but i hate the rap)
Walk Don't Walk
Money Don't Matter 2 Night
Insatiable
the morning papers
and god created woman
pink cashmere
Papa
Dark
dont talk to strangers
she spoke to me
dolphin
shhh
shy
billy jack bitch
eye hate u
rock n roll is alive (and it lives in mpls)
dinner with delores
had u
courtin time
in this bed i scream
soul sanctuary
curious child
dreamin about u
holy river
lets have a baby
my computer
one of us
the love we make
circle of amour
the other side of the pillow
animal kingdom
Rave Un2 the Joy Fantastic
so far so pleased
i love u but i dont trust u anymore
tangerine

CrowleyHead

Dissensus is fucking full of shit sometimes, besides there was a eons old Prince thread once that they're probably wishing they could go back to.

Diamonds & Pearls is a great 90s album, after that it all starts to go horribly wrong until Musicology. I blame the fat drummer.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
There's about six or seven people left on here nowadays, so that's actually a close to 100% turnout.

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
i love prince

i voted for sign of the times but probably 1999 is a more honest answer
i critically listened to 1999 a month ago, front to back, on the hi-fi - haven't revisited the rest of his catalog in a while

i have huge respect for musicians that play all the instruments on their albums (in the case of prince's first album and 1999) - is there a list for this? mccartney ii (i know people love to hate this record but i am a fan), emmit rhodes S/T, Stevie Wonder's Music of My Mind...

also, i've heard that prince's philosophy in the studio is to have each instrument hold its own, even when you fade out the instruments - i do find this to be the case with his albums. you can dedicate a listening to, say, just concentrating on the bass - with good results.

anyway, yeah - PRINCE!

CrowleyHead

is there a list for this? mccartney ii (i know people love to hate this record but i am a fan), emmit rhodes S/T, Stevie Wonder's Music of My Mind...

Trent Reznor builds tracks just by himself playing everything, and then he'll draft in pro-hitters such as like Adrian Belew or whomever.

Todd Rundgren obv.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-u3VEoxQLPE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rubberdingyrapids

always thought prince must be a todd rungren fan. i forget which song it was, maybe circle of amour, it sounded very todd. but they both have a (sometimes unfortunate) weakness for capturing the moment rather than fleshing material out.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Sign O The Times has amazing songs but is a bit of a mess, it's an odds and ends collection of various failed projects. Which devalues it a bit for me.

Parade is so underrated!

rubberdingyrapids

a lot of princes albums come from separate projects he had on the go - he never really stuck to one project.... parade is amazing on side one, and still brilliant on side 2 but loses that continunity. like, kiss, sounds totally unrelated to the rest of it.

i listened to lovesexy after about 10 years because of this thread. the production sounds really weird, even for an 80s pop record. its one of the things i think that makes princes music so marmite for a lot of people. that album is a bit of a mess though, its got this sublime rush of inspiration, but just sounds scrappy, apart from a few songs. glam slam is also half amazing/half-WTF-is-this -totally proggy and poppy. it also sounds like he didnt bother writing much for it so just came up with 3 diff ways to do it over lol.

CrowleyHead

Theoretically he did rush to finish this after he decided he wasn't doing The Black Album, so you're not wrong about it. I haven't listened to Lovesexy in a few years so it doesn't stick out in my head... But neither does a lot of Parade and I was listening to that relatively heavy two years ago. Yet another reminder that I have to do a lot of Prince re-copping.

Does anyone bother with recent material? The 3rdeyegirl album had a few cuts on it, but the new solo album had me ready to throw a chair out the window. He fucking sucks at rock ballads now, yet he keeps insisting on trying to make them happen.

rubberdingyrapids

i found it the other way round. that 3rd eye girl album was horrendous and leaden but the solo album was the first time hes sounded decent trying to sound kinda current in a long time. the first track (prince in slightly camp vegas mode) is the best thing on it. not that ive heard it more than once.

CrowleyHead

Oh no, the first half of 3rdeye is JUST THAT, but the second half, he starts to really work it... The solo album, I don't like Prince's attempts at modernity. The EDM thing is gawky, I can't get over how bad the ballads are. Also La Havas is just a tiring presence... The song where he samples Mila J is coolish, but I'm more intrigued if he likes Mila J or he just wanted to sample her voice.

The song he samples in question is better than anything on any of those albums.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HdjaiXGUam8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rubberdingyrapids

prob he just wanted to sample something else. she looks like his usual type. i cant really be bothered to listen to either of those two new albums. but the 3rd eye was most offensive. im not really into prince doing meat and potatoes retro rock (esp without the songs). id rather hear the undertaker or something instead.

Benny Bunter

Sign O The Times has amazing songs but is a bit of a mess, it's an odds and ends collection of various failed projects. Which devalues it a bit for me.

agree with this, seem to remember sott sounding really weak on cd which put me off it a bit at first. definitely has some of his greatest songs on it though.

the camille LP would have been perfect i reckon

Side 1:
Rebirth Of The Flesh
Housequake
Strange Relationship
Feel U Up
Side 2:
Shockadelica
Good Love
If I Was Your Girlfriend
Rockhard In A Funky Place

plus 'u got the look' and 'scarlet pussy' according to wikipedia