0 0%
  • Diamonds and Pearls (1991)

0 0%
  • Love Symbol Album (1992)

0 0%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PRINCE ALBUM POLL

Quote Originally Posted by mistersloane View Post
    Poll says it all. Only 4 people in the world actually like Prince.
     photo prince gif 2.gif

Sign O The Times has amazing songs but is a bit of a mess, it's an odds and ends collection of various failed projects. Which devalues it a bit for me.

Parade is so underrated!

a lot of princes albums come from separate projects he had on the go - he never really stuck to one project.... parade is amazing on side one, and still brilliant on side 2 but loses that continunity. like, kiss, sounds totally unrelated to the rest of it.

i listened to lovesexy after about 10 years because of this thread. the production sounds really weird, even for an 80s pop record. its one of the things i think that makes princes music so marmite for a lot of people. that album is a bit of a mess though, its got this sublime rush of inspiration, but just sounds scrappy, apart from a few songs. glam slam is also half amazing/half-WTF-is-this -totally proggy and poppy. it also sounds like he didnt bother writing much for it so just came up with 3 diff ways to do it over lol.

Theoretically he did rush to finish this after he decided he wasn't doing The Black Album, so you're not wrong about it. I haven't listened to Lovesexy in a few years so it doesn't stick out in my head... But neither does a lot of Parade and I was listening to that relatively heavy two years ago. Yet another reminder that I have to do a lot of Prince re-copping.

Does anyone bother with recent material? The 3rdeyegirl album had a few cuts on it, but the new solo album had me ready to throw a chair out the window. He fucking sucks at rock ballads now, yet he keeps insisting on trying to make them happen.

i found it the other way round. that 3rd eye girl album was horrendous and leaden but the solo album was the first time hes sounded decent trying to sound kinda current in a long time. the first track (prince in slightly camp vegas mode) is the best thing on it. not that ive heard it more than once.

Oh no, the first half of 3rdeye is JUST THAT, but the second half, he starts to really work it... The solo album, I don't like Prince's attempts at modernity. The EDM thing is gawky, I can't get over how bad the ballads are. Also La Havas is just a tiring presence... The song where he samples Mila J is coolish, but I'm more intrigued if he likes Mila J or he just wanted to sample her voice.

The song he samples in question is better than anything on any of those albums.

prob he just wanted to sample something else. she looks like his usual type. i cant really be bothered to listen to either of those two new albums. but the 3rd eye was most offensive. im not really into prince doing meat and potatoes retro rock (esp without the songs). id rather hear the undertaker or something instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Diggedy Derek View Post
    Sign O The Times has amazing songs but is a bit of a mess, it's an odds and ends collection of various failed projects. Which devalues it a bit for me.
    agree with this, seem to remember sott sounding really weak on cd which put me off it a bit at first. definitely has some of his greatest songs on it though.

the camille LP would have been perfect i reckon

Side 1:
    Rebirth Of The Flesh
    Housequake
    Strange Relationship
    Feel U Up
    Side 2:
    Shockadelica
    Good Love
    If I Was Your Girlfriend
    Rockhard In A Funky Place

plus 'u got the look' and 'scarlet pussy' according to wikipedia
    Last edited by Benny B; 12-04-2015 at 10:43 PM.

can't see d'angelo's "black messiah" on here.

lol

He's always been such a biter but when I heard "The Charade" I was like, "Jesus man, be a little discreet."

its too easy to say he just copies prince. apart from charade, and how does it feel, only dangelos vocals sound like prince.

Quote Originally Posted by rubberdingyrapids View Post

its too easy to say he just copies prince. apart from charade, and how does it feel, only dangelos vocals sound like prince.
    Oh, I agree, the reduction is absurd. But in a way I think he's got a lot of advantages of robbing from Prince and not being Prince... Like, for him, making slightly dated guitar tunes is a revolutionary thing, whereas with Prince its rather typical.

imo hes better when doing funkadelic kinda stuff (ie 1000 deaths) than NPG-style pop rock (charade)... though OTOH, not many songs like that referencing police brutailty so...
    Last edited by rubberdingyrapids; 14-04-2015 at 10:41 PM.

Legit teared up a bunch today.