Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Diamonds and Pearls (1991)

• Love Symbol Album (1992)

• Total voters

rubberdingyrapids

Prince-Charade-517597.jpg

its too easy to say he just copies prince. apart from charade, and how does it feel, only dangelos vocals sound like prince.

CrowleyHead

Prince-Charade-517597.jpg

its too easy to say he just copies prince. apart from charade, and how does it feel, only dangelos vocals sound like prince.

Oh, I agree, the reduction is absurd. But in a way I think he's got a lot of advantages of robbing from Prince and not being Prince... Like, for him, making slightly dated guitar tunes is a revolutionary thing, whereas with Prince its rather typical.

rubberdingyrapids

imo hes better when doing funkadelic kinda stuff (ie 1000 deaths) than NPG-style pop rock (charade)... though OTOH, not many songs like that referencing police brutailty so...

Last edited:

droid

RIP

Never a fan, hated him in my teens actually, but mellowed slightly in recent years. Cant deny his influence though.

Seems like a real bolt from the blue. Does anyone know what happened?

rubberdingyrapids

it didnt really sink in for me til today. he was my most favourite musician ever. even if i had fallen out of love with him the past decade or so, my affection for *him* was still high. prince made me interested in so many other genres. he was my connection to rock, jazz, soul, punk even. there was something about him, even at his shittiest, that just sounded in love with creation, with making music. i wasnt surprised he died at his studio. i cant imagine him dying anywhere else.

im esp sad he died so suddenly as he was apparently in the middle of writing his memoirs, something i never thought he would do. cos in a weird way, while it was nice seeing him present a more human side in recent years, on TV and in the press, i also missed the old, inscrutable prince (then again, im not sure he was ever easy to understand).

i dont know what dissensus makes of prince (im assuming dirty mind would be the top dissensus prince pick). i imagine most people saw him as too fey and too funky, not rock enough, too pleasurable, too pop, not 'serious' or 'dark', not macho (i remember when i was at school just how much people would HATE him, not dislike, but actively LOATHE, cos yknow, fucking primal scream or blur etc etc was better of course), but that was what made him so good. he could be all things to all people but also never enough of any one thing (not R&B enough for R&B fans, not rock enough for rockers, too effeminate for rap, etc etc). before he started to care about those things, he was at his best. he made me love a lot of gender-questioning artists, from little richard to bowie. on a more dissensus tip, prince always considered detroit his second city after his own home town (i had a bootleg of his interview with the electrifying mojo that was one of the first times i heard him speak) - i often wish he dabbled more in house and techno than he did hip hop in the 90s (those cities at least showed his influence on them).

he could also be very funny even as he was being vain.

I strangled Valentino (He strangled Valentino)
Been mine ever since (been his ever since)
If anybody asks you (if anybody asks u)
You belong to Prince (you belong to Prince)

you also have to love that his music is nowhere on spotify or youtube.

RIP.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
These huge pop artists - Prince, Bowie, Michael Jackson - who were so eccentric and authentically talented: they don't exist anymore, do they? I'm intrigued by why that is. In the 80s, did they occupy the same place as today's airbrushed, manufactured pop, or were they an alternative to it?

rubberdingyrapids

they were both. they were weird but also big, blockbuster, million selling pop artists. i think that cultural climate that could allow for that basically ended with the 1990s.

maybe lady gaga is the closest you can get today.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's interesting, and I'm sure there are plenty of books out there on the subject. These androgynous, experimental pop artists, presumably a legacy of glam rock and rock'n'roll in general (which these days has lost its cachet, really)...

It's funny, when I was growing up the 80s was seen as this awful, vulgar decade characterised by horrendous hair and the rise of cheesy production but its completely (Madonna reference intended) in vogue now.

rubberdingyrapids

80s is now seen, amongst other things, as the last decade of mega budget pop i think, and of pop non tethered to reality, maybe the last decade where you could be peculiar, indulge in total fantasy, but be massively pop at the same time. todays mega sellers are artists like adele*

obv at the time, if you were trying to be hip, it was assumed that there were cooler, more credible prospects if you were 'serious' about music, to people like MJ, madonna, prince etc. but they did make mainstream culture more interesting, more challenging, and put more fringe culture ideas into the pop charts, than you tend to get today IMO.

*fucking hell

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Was going to ask if Prince was a formative influence on the Jam and Lewis synth-soul of the 80s (the best music evs), then looked up Jam and Lewis and discovered they were in The Time! *facepalm*

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
''Stevie Nicks: When we were recording "Stand Back" I decided to be really blatant and call Prince up and tell him that I had been inspired to write the song while listening to "Little Red Corvette." I told him that I figured my song was half his. He came over to the studio where I was recording and listened to it--as I turned extremely white and started to shake. Then he walked over to the piano and put on a really incredible keyboard track. And not only did Prince make it up right on the spot, he played it with only two fingers. Then he left.''

nicked off ILX

CrowleyHead

You know the way that Prince crossed over into mainstream rock America? His management at the time also handled John Mellencamp, still hot off his "American Fool" run of singles (which if you don't know, are like, classic rock/pop crossover staples here still.). Now, who's to say that Mellencamp didn't love the song himself. But the point is, as "Little Red Corvette" was out as a single, Mellencamp would play the song to people in his concerts. I don't mean he was covering "Little Red Corvette", he would play a cassette of the song over the speakers and subject his fans to "Little Red Corvette" under the context of "Have you heard this Prince guy?"

No matter what the intent, that's a wild tactic, and its kind of indicative of the weird ways people were trying to make Prince the phenomenon he became. Can you imagine Beyonce stopping a song to play a new Drake single for her fans, and that's it? Not covering, not a performance/duet, just being like "Guys have you heard this?"

rubberdingyrapids

well drake does that, kind of, on his radio show and gets shit for being a culture vulture!

but anyway, hey, thats pretty cool.

shout out to john mellencamp. :cool:

the last six cds prince bought:

http://www.mprnews.org/story/2016/04/21/prince-last-cd-purchases-at-electric-fetus

you would think he had them all already! i guess hes like theo parrish. buying albums he knows he already has, maybe to get that 'new' feeling again.

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

some incredible live footage is being uploaded on youtube right now. how long before it all gets taken down again though?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's funny how his music not being readily available online has made it so 'difficult' for me to bother checking it out. It's telling that in this day and age buying a CD seems like a big task.

Saying that I'm going to buy some Prince CDs/records on payday.