• Graffiti Bridge (1990)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Diamonds and Pearls (1991)

• Love Symbol Album (1992)

• Total voters

rubberdingyrapids

a lot of them seem to have gone up in price on amazon. i expect warners will repress them. though who knows with prince. i know what you mean about it seeming a big deal now to buy an actual CD, but spotify is just an insult to any artist IMO. even though it is a convenient tool to listen to music you might not otherwise get a chance to hear. its cool the bootlegged stuff is on youtube, but i tend to think prince was right not to want his official albums on there (i wonder if his people have decided to let it ride for a while, or if maybe now hes dead, no one is enforcing his previous wishes?).

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Yeah, I actually sympathise with his stance on it. I use Spotify all the time nowadays but I feel appropriately guilty about it. As overpriced as music was before the internet came along I do feel like something has been lost with the (effective) death of physical media.

trza

What if you are guilty of coming of age in the nineties when Prince was past his prime, and you remember the whole name change to a symbol and the awkward magazine articles about "The Artist Formerly Knows as Prince....."

rubberdingyrapids

Debbie Harry: 'Music matters. YouTube should pay musicians fairly'

http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2016/apr/26/debbie-harry-youtube-royalties

Google has the second highest market capitalisation in the world, and its total 2015 revenue was $75bn (£52bn). The total annual revenue of the global music business, in comparison, is less than $15bn. Our large community of hardworking artists is being exploited to make a very small percentage of people extremely rich.

The most searched item on YouTube is music. But despite music driving so much traffic to the YouTube platform, they do not pay artists fairly. YouTube has enabled a flood of unlicensed content into the marketplace, driving the market price down and using their monopoly-power to pay next to nothing.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's amazing, really, given that I can still remember a time when YouTube (briefly) looked doomed due to copyright claims. I wonder what happened? I guess the record companies that had the money to pursue these claims have been placated by YouTube somehow? Or perhaps it's just a case of YouTube becoming so completely impossible to circumvent?

trza

I think youtube scans the audio of every video and distributes a share of the ad money they collect, and when an artist signs up for vevo or the indie version of vevo it starts collecting for any video that uses the track so a guy like bauuer and his annoying track with the copycat videos can clean up moneywise but its the oddball holdouts like prince, kid rock, public enemy who have big egos or gripes with their old labels and publishers who get caught in the middle and can't figure out how to get stuff uploaded.

It doesn't matter the platform the legal arguments behind music just never go away they just get bigger and longer.

craner

Beast of Burden
I think I remember a thread where I tried to pick apart 'Sign 'o the Times' (one of my favorite albums) to claim that only about a quarter of it was any good, obviously idiotic. But I still think that Prince is best served by personal mixtapes or playlists. Do that, and you have the greatest pop star of all time.

craner

Beast of Burden
There's tracks on the 92 Love Symbol album that stand up to anything made in the 80s, but nobody would say it was a great album. And hardcore fans claim they can make amazing tracklists by dredging up gems from the last 20 years, and I believe them, but only they would have the patience to do it.

craner

Beast of Burden
Over time I've owned every one of those albums listed above apart from the Black Album, but somehow lost or sold every one except '...Times'. I'm still puzzled by how I managed to discard so much vinyl.

craner

Beast of Burden
You would have not predicted that Vanity and Prince would die within months of each other, would you. I mean, Vanity, bless her soul, fucked up her body by smoking crack, but Prince was quite clean, it seemed.

CrowleyHead

Yeah, that's the grim thing. I joked with someone that just by being in a relationship with Nikki Sixx at some point, Vanity's kidneys were probably husks at the end. But apparently Prince had been putting off important surgeries, was a notorious insomniac/workaholic, had issues with maintaining a healthy diet and that was all before the supposed drugs he started taking at his age. I imagine introducing a chemical dependency like that to a man who's body isn't built for the lifestyle he was trying to maintain is just as hazardous as a reckless youth, especially given Prince's religious conflicts with hospitalization for periods.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Was Prince into drugs at any point in his life?

More (or less) to the point, is there an authoritative biography of Prince that I can add to my big list of books ull never quite get around to reading? :D

craner

Beast of Burden
I always like to read about Prince's influences (whether true or not) ,things like:

Dirty Mind being something of a response to Lindsey Buckingham's Tusk production
Being a fan of (and stealing his look from) Adam Ant
Enjoying Cocteau Twins
Digging Todd Rundgren, especially A Wizard, A True Star

Any others?

rubberdingyrapids

circle of amour is maybe his most todd sounding song. also one of his best songs of the 90s. never knew that about tusk. but he did play synths on stevie knicks' stand back (which i have played far too much the last week) so hey, who knows. purple rain was apparently prince hearing bob seger and wanting to make a song like that. i always thought i could never take the place of your man sounded a bit like springsteen (whose purple rain cover i think has to be one of the best, i found it more moving than dangelos sometimes it snows in april). as he aged, he sounded a bit more like hendrix as a lead guitarist to me, but in the 80s, he said santana was the one *he* thought he sounded like the most. i remember in a late 90s interview, he said the artist he was checking out most was bjork. surprised he didnt try to lure her to paisley park.

i dont think prince was into 'drugs' like TMZ are making out (not in the way james brown suddenly started on hard drugs at a point in his life when most people would be trying to get off them). painkillers maybe, but all those years of dancing on heels would prob put anyones body to the test. i dont blame him. just a shame if that is what killed him.

There's tracks on the 92 Love Symbol album that stand up to anything made in the 80s, but nobody would say it was a great album. And hardcore fans claim they can make amazing tracklists by dredging up gems from the last 20 years, and I believe them, but only they would have the patience to do it.

i made a 90s playlist that i think is full of superb stuff. emancipation, if you edit it (and even theres a lot of good songs left over, they just dont really add up to a great 'album', never mind a triple album), also is prob his best, most consistent 90s album - i have a one-disc playlist that makes me think its quite overlooked (but then who could take 180 mins of new prince at that point?).

Last edited:

rubberdingyrapids

so prince was apparently a journey fan too. haha. the songs ARE quite similar. its not that surprising really. the reason so many people thought prince was a bit corny in his guitar playing/rock was no doubt cos he loved soft rock. i might need to make a power ballad compilation.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7348372/prince-purple-rain-journey-faithfully-interviews

The Journey members subsequently learned that the similarities between the "Purple Rain" and "Faithfully" guitar solos were not coincidental either. "There's a guy that Jonathan and I both know in Minneapolis who worked with Prince in the last few years," Schon says, "and he told Jon to tell me that Prince was talking about my guitar playing, how it really moved him and how he liked my playing. It was just so cool."

"How much he loved Neal Schon is crazy," Cain adds. "He studied Neal for so many years, learned his licks and made them his own. You can hear it on ('Purple Rain') for real."

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

I heard one of his favorite albums was "Another Green World", that's an odd one but it works.

@Corpse; The best one I've personally read is really hard to get, it covers his first decade and its called "DANCE MUSIC SEX ROMANCE"; has a lot of input not only to the way Prince was recording, but the tours, the relationship with The Revolution, how he was handling his business. There was another one I read that was decent that covered about just to Musicology, but I'm not sure how strongly I feel about it. Matos' book on Sign Of The Times was cool but I also haven't picked it up in about forever. I'm going to have to soon obviously in reflecting.