Leo

Minidisc and Betamax: Sony came up with some superior formats but took the risk of keeping them proprietary, which wasn't the way the market was heading.

Leo

I always tell myself I'll get round to selling books, CDs and DVDs I don't want, but I can never be arsed going through the seller process on various sites and just end up giving them to charity instead. Maybe one of the few cases where laziness results in the more positive outcome.

always kick myself for not selling more cds and records before demand dried up and so many of the used records stores here closed. 20 years ago, I'd bring a shoulder bag with 50 CDs to Mondo Kim's on St. Mark's Place and get $150 cash or $200 store credit. Last week, I took two boxes (about 250 CDs) to one of the few remaining places that buy used stuff and got $200.

version

Apparently if you go into places like CEX over here with old games and films they give you about 10p per item...

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Classic thread

Thought of it when thinking about starting a thread about the books/ideas/interests you're expected to have as a semi hip middle aged person.

Or something like 'figures that bedevil you if you're a middle class guardian reader' -

As in, probably a lot of people have never even heard of Alain De Botton.

woops

is not like other people
Classic thread

Thought of it when thinking about starting a thread about the books/ideas/interests you're expected to have as a semi hip middle aged person.

Or something like 'figures that bedevil you if you're a middle class guardian reader' -

As in, probably a lot of people have never even heard of Alain De Botton.
weired statement as the reason i dislike ADB is because he writes very specifically for the middle class gaurniad reader. but then i read the guardian website all the time so i must be talking shit

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
weired statement as the reason i dislike ADB is because he writes very specifically for the middle class gaurniad reader. but then i read the guardian website all the time so i must be talking shit
Yeah – you've got to be a guardian reader to have heard of him and hate him (or love him)

gremino

Moster Sirphine
im doing it cos audio fidelity is better on cd than spotify. i could buy vinyl but a lot of modern pressings seem to be shit, and i dont feel like paying 20 or 30 a time.
and im not going to subscribe to tidal for wavs or whatever it offers.
might as well own it (i suppose i could fork out for another audio file player but just cant be bothered at this stage. i found my late 90s discman in lockdown and havent looked back lol).
plus... cds are bloody cheap these days!
if i hate an album, i can just sell it on discogs.

i was surprised though that many people in my age bracket no longer have a cd player. all sold a poor audio quality dream by the streaming overlords. sad to see. (i realise nothing ages a 40 year old more than getting all stevehoffman-like and going on about superior audio.)
Interesting to read somebody in a headz forum like this say that they rather buy CDs than vinyl, even if modern pressing has something to do with it. For a long time CDs have been mocked after all. I believe that CDs will make a comeback as a hip retro-thing, like cassettes are right now. Instead of walkmans, hip music enthusiasts will be carrying a discmans. Also comeback of good old CD-R-releases would be nice, and I'm planning to do a small run of them at some point. For indie artists CD-Rs are much more cheaper to do than vinyls. You get artwork and printing in the CD-R, to get that physical experience. You don't get that grandiose big artwork like in 12"s, you do get a nice booklet.

Personally CDs have emotional value for me, as that's the format when I started listening to music back in my teens. Vinyls are great and all that, but for me they don't have same memories and emotion attached to them like CD does. Back in the days in '00s when I read forum posts from older heads writing how vinyl has superior sound quality, are more real etc., I wanted to thrive towards vinyl, as older heads with more knowledge and "I was there back in the days"-status did influence me. But now later on I have come into realization about CDs emotional value for me, and besides lets be real, as a Millennial I'm not from true vinyl generation like Gen X still are.

gremino

Moster Sirphine
Ended up choosing this over vinyl:

Been meaning to buy this one too:

version

woebot matthew ingram has been beating this drum for a few years too. he did a big blog post about it.

john eden

male pale and stale
A lot of those Grime CDs were flung around by young hoodlums as was fitting for the medium. As the oldest grime fan in town, I looked after mine. I sold a few for decent money about 8 years ago iirc.

One of the people I sold to then sold exactly the same CD, shrink wrapped, shortly afterwards…

• Haha
Reactions: Leo