hucks

Your Message Here
What about The Bug? Or Actress? Or Zomby?

Maybe a bit too underground?

There's a real issue as to what this guy got up to since 2004, when he got an iPod with 240gb capacity and put on all the world music ever made. He has Burial, but it's not clear what else has really interested him since. The Daft Punk album got him excited, obviously - so much authenticity! - but mainly it's HBO box sets these days tbh

Woebot

A can album

why would anyone sell a can album? i suppose unless they didn't get it? if they didnt get it then YES rightly they should be insulted.

now i will proceed to kill this thread and suck all the joy out of it.

who is this mysterious imaginary guy anyway? i think we need more biography to build up what's actually going on here.

i think what's implied is heres someone with a low-level of emotional investment in music. not necessarily foolish (or retro) enough to buy vinyl - perhaps not really aware of its existence within the cultural framework. perhaps not much available in the shops where he bought music?

and as semi-hip 40 year old - with a solid management/legal job he no longer has a value network intact which is going to make his small hoard of cultural capital significant. he might as well offload it while he still can because he never really had a huge investment in it anyway. basically THIS GUY IS NOT A LOSER.

i can get with criticising the low-level engagement - i mean its only fair! it's the small boon i am entitled to as a properly-ridiculed music geek BUT i do think theres a danger of demonising the middlebrow here. i'm a big fan of the middlebrow because as an intellectual exercise you have to actually think - is this special or not? am i falling in to the trap of writing it off because other people think it is significant. it's an important spiritual lesson as well - living the life that's true - not a life in opposition (a pointless exercise)

so for instance - lou reed "transformer" or david bowie "ziggy stardust" - especially CAN. you can't knock that shit. even on cd.

Woebot

ok - i'll concede

can "rite time" on CD

bought when it came it. not heard their other stuff.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
a danger of demonising the middlebrow

Well let's not forget that the First Law of Dissensus is the law of the despised middle. Anything that smacks of middle-brow or middle-class is automatically beyond the pale. So grime is great, and Stockhausen is great, but any Dissensian worth his salt would rather be suspected of molesting disabled children than liking Radiohead. And we all love Viz, and we all love Thomas Pynchon, but admit to reading Ian McEwan and you'll find yourself hauled before the House Committee on Un-Dissensian Activities. (edit: oops, second time I've used that phrase is this thread)

so for instance - lou reed "transformer" or david bowie "ziggy stardust" - especially CAN. you can't knock that shit. even on cd.

That's the thing, isn't it. Some of the music people have mentioned here was always pretty ropy, the kind of stuff listened to by people who thought being discerning about music meant sneering at Britney Spears and Busted ("entry-level music snobs"); some of it was actually moderately respectable when it came out but was just very of-its-time and has aged badly in the 15-25 years since then; and then there's Bowie/Velvets/Kraftwerk/Aphex etc. etc. which is as close as you can really get to "objectively great" music.

Last edited:

luka

this is like the making of a mike leigh film, we're in the initial stages of constructing a character.
my intention wasnt to make a list of music i dont like.

luka

i didnt get that sense, thought it was more about the currency of cool and the way the value of those stocks and shares can fluctuate wildly

luka

although i suppose i can admit to never having bought WOEBOTs case for the middlebrow

hucks

Your Message Here
It was the "Jesus, I fucking hate this guy" comment I was thinking of specifically.

Think that was me. It was a joke! Cos I was identifying myself with him...

Edit: Though looking at where I said it yeah it reads like actual bile. Anyway.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Think that was me. It was a joke! Cos I was identifying myself with him...

Edit: Though looking at where I said it yeah it reads like actual bile. Anyway.

Well where would we be without a good bit of middle-class self-loathing?