The Queen is Dead!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Oh you big sillies, the queen can't die! She'll have to seem to die, of course, but really she'll just slough off her current skin and assume a new form. You know how these royals are.

catalog

I was just saying to my mum today how admirable it is that she's banned the bad un's from the balcony, she's the only one with a sense of propriety. You gotta admire her in her old age

luka

i was in the pub last night, i was in a few pubs yesterday, and all with the flags and bunting and portraits of the queen
and sort of wondered vaguely about how none of this is ironic anymore, but nor is it heartfelt. its done perhaps because not to do it might seem churlish (don't upset your mother, Peter), an adolescent gesture of rebellion, as all opposition has been recast as a kind of disorder (What Is Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD)?)

catalog

I was watching ourr neighbour last night hanging her bunting, very precise, she was making an effort, then she was directing her husband into a parking space, shouting at him, getting exasperated, then she sent him off to thd shops.

Dunno, felt pretty heartfelt but then this is like an older woman I suppose, someone who might unironically support the queen.

I keep looking at the union Jack now and wonder what will happen when Scotland leave.

luka

so the meaning of the displays are not completely clear. they dont signify, in a transparent sense, nationalism and love of royalty, nor do they signal a sneering ironic subversion but something else, more obscure and difficult to define. the 2012 olympics being part of this shift but not having caused it

luka

in response to catalog yes of course for many millions of people it is a straighfoward celebration of the queen and her 70 year rule over us. i dont doubt that or dispute that.

catalog

It feels like we are past a sneer about the flag, I do see that. I don't get a sense of revulsion when I see it now. It feels quaint really.

luka

also makes me think of things like the clapping for the nhs. something infantilising about it.