I'm in Exeter

luka

It's a tory town. Self satisfied men with ruddy faces and lemon yellow polo shirts.

luka

Hello everybody just wanted to check in and let you all know I'm on a train to Exeter. I will update this thread if and when I arrive in Exeter itself.

luka

Totnes is full of hippies pale drawn haggard sad eyed older than their years. Living in a poverty that stopped being romantic years ago. Cold. Malnourished. Lonely. Cast aside.

DannyL

Wild Horses
A friend of mine lives in Totnes. I always thought "wow this place must suck out of season". You can feel that old hippy legacy though you're right. Totnes is a bit like Bristol in that lots of annoying left conspiracy stuff seems to circulate from there. Those last two sentences are absolutely related.

luka

There's something about the west Country. Radiation from Glastonbury ground zero?

luka

Going to Totnes usually sorts my head out. Not this time though. Too cold and wet.

luka

aomething happens when you spend a few days down there. All this space opens up in your head. You start telling yourself when you go back to London you'll make all this changes in your life. Get healthy. Look after yourself better.

poetix

we murder to dissect
My dad* spent a large part of his youth in Somerset - in Street, IIIRC. He used to traipse up to Glastonbury Tor with a guitar strapped to his back to play Donovan tunes. As he tells it, on one occasion he was halfway up the hill and there was a sudden gust of wind, a bird started from a small bush in front of him and took off into the air and the strings of his guitar sang out. He was quite impressed. The place makes one impressionable, I think.

I spent some of the earliest years of my life in Chard, and my sister was born in Taunton. One of my most vivid memories of Chard is being at school and being scared out of my wits by a short film about the dangers of playing with farm machinery - the boy who drinks fertiliser and dies, the children caught in the burning barn, and so on. Most probably this one - it seems to be quite famous:

* as I was typing this, my finger hit caps lock by mistake and I ended up writing "My DAD". Make of that what you will.

poetix

we murder to dissect
They don't tell you about the slurry. They leave you to find out, usually by losing a welly to it.