thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I dunno if this has been mentioned, but isn't one of the changes that's taken place over the last 5 or so years is that 'underground' cache just can't really exist anymore. If you want to hear or find out about any kind of music it's only a click away. I can't imagine anyone growing up now really linking their identity to the music they listened to in the way that was obvious in youth culture gone by. Obviously there will always be scenes but, I'd imagine your kids nowadays wouldn't likely see as much conflict liking one particular genre of music compared to another. Or find their identity in the music they are into. I kind of think this is a good thing tbh.

Underground has never existed, it was always a spectacle phantom, always more to do with the ratio of profit to plastic or tape. How much can you talk about underground when John Peel was playing speedcore on national radio, unthinkable today.

woops

is not like other people
Underground has never existed, it was always a spectacle phantom, always more to do with the ratio of profit to plastic or tape. How much can you talk about underground when John Peel was playing speedcore on national radio, unthinkable today.
i can't agree. john peel couldn't be replaced after he died - because his show was a two hour link to the underground. if you think there was no division between him and the daytime playlist you're mad. there used to be a whole network of fanzines and mail order record catalogs covering stuff you wouldn't know about otherwise, it had to be sought out. as i've said to @luka before @thirdform pirate radio doesn't reach lancashire. that's not to say the "ratio of profit" didn't play its part - but there was 100% a DIY underground culture that doesn't and can't exist post-internet. no sell out.

luka

wont say who emailed me this but you mistake the shit world you grew up in with reality...

10:21 PM (8 minutes ago)

to me

ok, i owe you a 5er then and we're square.

i'd post this but i don't want to get into a fight with 3rd

nah. john peel was a two hour link to the underground. if you think there was no division between him and the daytime playlist you grew up in a more privileged environment than i did. fair enough i love to go on about this but there was a whole network of fanzines and mail order record catalogs covering stuff you wouldn't know about otherwise, it had to be sought out. as i've said to @luke before @thirdform pirate radio doesn't reach lancashire. that's not to say the "ratio of profit" didn't play its part - but there was 100% a punk* underground that doesn't and can't exist post-internet. in other words i agree with griftert.

luka

in other words you gew up in 2d world, your world was shit, snd its not your fauly but it is shit

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i can't agree. john peel couldn't be replaced after he died - because his show was a two hour link to the underground. if you think there was no division between him and the daytime playlist you're mad. there used to be a whole network of fanzines and mail order record catalogs covering stuff you wouldn't know about otherwise, it had to be sought out. as i've said to @luka before @thirdform pirate radio doesn't reach lancashire. that's not to say the "ratio of profit" didn't play its part - but there was 100% a DIY underground culture that doesn't and can't exist post-internet. no sell out.

Yes, that's exactly my point. If anything, this spectacle underground is bigger than ever through its very abolition. Back then you had guides. Today you don't even have that, it's all down to your own virtual initiative. No tastemakers to tell you whats cool or not. That is what makes it disconcerting for old farts.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
in other words you gew up in 2d world, your world was shit, snd its not your fauly but it is shit

Nah, in terms of this kind of thing our world is better. Music is less vital though. But underground music has always been an avant-artistic proposition, in my world and yours.

It's just that the gradiants are different now.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
That's not to discredit John Peel, it's an absolute compliment if anything! I just don't accept the 'sonic' underground binary. Poptimists should be able to listen to harsh noise, why not?

I'm sure half of the obscure mailorder bands @woops is into sound like my definition of chartpop. Conversely a lot of the rnb/funk/soul I'm into from the 70s probably sound overly commercial to him.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Now rare/obscure, I accept as valid descriptions. In that sense, yes, there is not really a truly rare music on the internet. And music is quite less obscure. But the knowledge and the initiative is still required.

luka

you dont understand. music was invisible. only i heard it. me and, likem willian kent. no one else knew it existed. that is the hole point

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
it was underground because you coulnt here it on jon peel

I mean he's the indie kids archetypical dj isn't he? I've never heard anyone in our music mention him with great reverence short of a big up John Peel/yeah that cool old geezer. But the fandom is mainly from the rock music audience.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
you dont understand. music was invisible. only i heard it. me and, likem willian kent. no one else knew it existed. that is the hole point

William Kent is cool, was probably listening to Mike Allen on Capital back in the day.

luka

this is what you cant comprehend. it depended on the degree of your spiritual evolution

luka

if you werent level 4 or above you were barred. there was no material berrier it was a spiritual barrier