Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: I LOVE MUSIC LOL

Oh god, I think I recognize one of these posters from twitter. Its like discovering your neighbor who you always kind of thought was rude is actually a guy who sets housepets on fire.

I haven't posted in this thread before but what can you say about grime unless you actually ARE overintellectualizing it?

Here's a choon! ITS ALOT! or That's BIG! are about all I can say about the shit I listen to. I just really respond favorably to the stuff I like but not really to say anything much about.

I like grime. There is a lot of great underground shit in myspace. That is mainly the stuff I am listening to.

If I were to really indulge myself and attempt to explain it, I would liken it to the concept of terroir in wine and the issue of whether one would be inclined to drink the wine, appreciating it fully, or choose to blather on about tannins and licorice notes or something. I mean, I could tell you some good wines to go out and get or some nice MCs to check out but I usually only do that if someone asks me.

Also, it seems to me that nobody really big in grime wants to get hit with that tag (what they really want to do is direct). Fear of the conclusive death of "Grime" as such is palpable to me amongst them and no one wants to be left behind is my take on that part. I haven't made a systematic search of all the grime posts here but it seems like people are usually talking about the big names whereas I think the real action is just in some bedroom on a council estate and thus in myspace.

I'd like to see more Grime posts. I'm always lookin to check out the MC du jour, shatap.

― Saxby D. Elder, viernes 7 de diciembre de 2007 18:42 (8 years ago) Bookmark Flag Post Permalink

with your firm grasp of the argot, you must be a native east londoner.

― That one guy that hit it and quit it, miércoles 12 de diciembre de 2007 19:02 (8 years ago) Bookmark Flag Post Permalink

close, southside Chicago! BRAP!!

― Saxby D. Elder, miércoles 12 de diciembre de 2007 19:32 (8 years ago) Bookmark Flag Post Permalink

Just signed up to ILM so I could stalk Tim F using the search function but it doesn't seem to work very well. Is there a 'see all posts by' function that I've missed?

If Tim happens to read this: please don't be disturbed, I just like reading your writing, and I want to take over your body by murdering you.

I know sweet f*** all about Hip Hop. I've cultivated a dislike for it over the years: it's all about swinging your dick/your gun/your bling. It's about bitches and hos. It's violent and misogynist. The artists are generally enormously egotistical jerks.
    Here's what I've liked so far: The Streets 'A Grand Don't Come for Free' and MIA's Kala.
    ― Peter "One Dart" Manley (The stickman from the hilarious 'xkcd' comics), Tuesday, 2 December 2008 21:18 (seven years ago) Permalink

6. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    I know sweet f*** all about Hip Hop. I've cultivated a dislike for it over the years: it's all about swinging your dick/your gun/your bling. It's about bitches and hos. It's violent and misogynist. The artists are generally enormously egotistical jerks.
    Here's what I've liked so far: The Streets 'A Grand Don't Come for Free' and MIA's Kala.
    ― Peter "One Dart" Manley (The stickman from the hilarious 'xkcd' comics), Tuesday, 2 December 2008 21:18 (seven years ago) Permalink
    This is what happens when you let morality mess with your music.

How have I been shown my claims don't work? Saying he uses melodies that remind me mainly of 90s grunge hasn't been "disproven" because you said you listened to one song and thought it reminded you of beach house.

Dropping a bunch of musical terms that btw I am actually familiar with--I studied jazz and am very familiar w the Dorian and phyrgian modes & what they mean harmonically is not some decisive death blow to an argument about an artist you've given a cursory skim. I haven't addressed your specific claims mainly bc you kept talking about "harmonies" when I was talking about a vocalist's *melodic* sensibilities? One who doesn't often harmonize

― Listen to my homeboy Fantano (D-40), Monday, 7 November 2016 00:43 (twelve hours ago) Permalink

Being that he is basing his music around loops like most rap artists of course the songs don't have the underlying harmonic structure of grunge but then that was never a claim I made

― Listen to my homeboy Fantano (D-40), Monday, 7 November 2016 00:56 (twelve hours ago) Permalink

i did not study jazz and i am not familiar with phyrgian modes but still i am confident that lil peep is not good

― based grandpa (noz), Monday, 7 November 2016 00:57 (twelve hours ago) Permalink

"I studied jazz and this, like everything I see and hear, sounds like Chief Keef"

― Whiney G. Weingarten, Monday, 7 November 2016 00:58 (twelve hours ago) Permalink

Chris you haven't actually been in touch with what's going on in rap since the Clinton administration

― Listen to my homeboy Fantano (D-40), Monday, 7 November 2016 01:07 (eleven hours ago) Permalink

But I'm stoked to figure out what new stone you can possibly overturn to say something new about run the jewels next time though

― Listen to my homeboy Fantano (D-40), Monday, 7 November 2016 01:09 (eleven hours ago) Permalink

At least this time noz can't delete evidence of being wrong like he did w his blogs

― Listen to my homeboy Fantano (D-40), Monday, 7 November 2016 01:10 (eleven hours ago) Permalink

david if you deleted your blogs would anyone notice

― based grandpa (noz), Monday, 7 November 2016 01:19 (eleven hours ago) Permalink

LUVDAHATE.jpg

These guys are so adorable.

I studied jazz and am very familiar w the Dorian and phyrgian modes

Does this fit?

"We The People" is too fucking low and all this "it is clearly an inferior track on the album" nonsense really shows how one's privilege can color the reception of a message

― ornate orchestral arrangements (DJP), Thursday, 26 January 2017 19:10 (two minutes ago) Bookmark Flag Post Permalink

I thought it was shit cos of the Intergalactic Planetary Intergalactic filter on his voice but maybe that was the heinous martorialist twisting my melon again.

the Intergalactic Planetary Intergalactic filter on his voice
    lol

literally stole that observation from martorialracist

Mary J. Blige: Classic or Dud?

She's a diva, no question. "Real Love" is a CLASSIC song. She's gotten better as a singer, and she was pretty good to begin with. What I've heard, I've liked - even if the song itself ain't so great, that voice is like buttah on a hot biscuit. And the new single ("Family Affair") is superb - ah, that voice...
    But what's up with the new video and her "dancing"? Divas shouldn't dance - they should preen and pose, wearing big furs and rings and stuff. And if a diva is going to dance, they should DANCE - none of that modified hokey-pokey stuff. It's like a new version of the Seinfeld dance - not lookin' too good.

So, where should I go? What should I do?

― David Raposa, Thursday, 30 August 2001 00:00 (fifteen years ago) Permalink

What you should do is start listening to Aretha's 60's Atlantic stuff. Like, immediately.
    ― Sean, Thursday, 30 August 2001 00:00 (fifteen years ago) Permalink

never could understand the allure of analyzing the non-music boards of ILX on dissensus was, but it looks like it kept going after I avoided reading this thread for a couple years?

hopefully someone in the US found our musings on grocery store salsas useful

16. The Following User Says Thank You to precisiongrind For This Useful Post:

last night at a hipster indie party the dj put on "Crunk Muzik" and i went buckwild, and the crowd did also, but were a little confused. my wife said to me, "how do i even dance to this?!" and then she just realized you need to get buckwild and started bouncing to it!