Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: I LOVE MUSIC LOL

my definition of a boombastic jazz style (wash your face in my sink). howzabout ll cool j's "i need love" or kool keith "the girls don't like the job". wu tang make me dreadfully sad and tearful with their uninspired production & tedious milking of the getto "schtick". rise above like black flag said. representing my arse -resenting more like - what ever happened to the imagination exemplified by i dunno prbly poor example - but egyptian lover's "egypt,egypt" or "girls" or grandmaster's "scorpio"? howzabout clouddead? or 2 live crew's "private dancer" that exudes a real sense of desperation & loneliness - it depends how you read it.
    ― bob snoom, Saturday, 3 November 2001 01:00 (13 years ago) Permalink

U Our local scene is quite vibrant, geordie accents and rap go well together, the content beats all the ' mo'bills an' ho's'' end of the U.S. market - soon enough we'll have our Mannie Fresh
    ― Geordie Racer, Friday, 13 April 2001 00:00 (14 years ago) Permalink

You want underground? You want street cred? Look for Edan. You want street cred and the new-hip-hop-prog movement? Look for Deltron 3030.
    ― JM, Saturday, 4 August 2001 00:00 (13 years ago) Permalink

The last hip-hop album I think I actually bought was New Kingdom's PARADISE DON'T COME CHEAP (which had two great singles, "Mexico or Bust" and "Co-Pilot") and that was what? 1996? I miss the days when hip-hop seemed to be exploring more adventurous avenues (the Native Tongue stuff, Dream Warriors, Tribe Called Quest), but it's all yawnsome playa-bling-bling-whatever crap now (to my ears at least).
    ― Alex in NYC, Friday, 2 November 2001 01:00 (13 years ago) Permalink

I swear by Edan, who's so obscure you can really only get his shit off of... Edan. Company Flow is legendary around here as are Non Phixon who's "I Shot Regan" never really made it out of the mixing stage -- finding the album is harder than all get out. The last Pharcyde album was great. Thirstin Howl is hilarious and Brooklyn Hard. Look out for The Last Emperor, the new Can Ox... uh... albums... Deltron 3030 is interspectacular... Handsome Boy, Quality Control...
    ― JM, Friday, 2 November 2001 01:00 (13 years ago) Permalink

I don't know if Talib Kweli is still considered underground, but I can't get enough.
    I like Dalek's album a lot, though it could use a bit more 'meat' in certain ways.
    Hiphop or not, I think a good portion of Saul William's album is brilliant.
    The new Dilated Peoples is GRATE (whee, I've been waiting to use that lovely word for quite a while).
    -- Jordan, Thursday, November 1, 2001 7:00 PM (6 years ago) Bookmark Link

Actually, the question is slightly flawed. Hip hop isn't a musical genre, it's a lifestyle. There's four elements of hip hop: deejaying, breakdancing, rapping, and grafiti. I'm assuming you wanted good examples of the 1st and 3rd, right?
    ― Judd Nelson, Thursday, 16 May 2002 00:00 (12 years ago) Permalink

Is Ludacris some how taking the piss out of rappers? His single ('roll out'?) surely is some kind of ironic diss to bling (braindead vague party call/response hook: check), with it mentioning his naked cooks and having the big head (ego) video. Also his name implies some kind of preposterousness.
    Anyway Search: Roots Manuva, Public Enemy 1987-92, Tribe called quest, Q-tip solo
    Destroy MOP. forever. to bits.
    ― Barnaby, Friday, 17 May 2002 00:00 (12 years ago) Permalink

A cultural genre encompassing the four (sometimes five) elemens: MCing, DJing, breakdancing, and graf art (sometimes including beatboxing).
    ― Dom Passantino, Friday, 19 July 2002 00:00 (12 years ago) Permalink

yeah the state of hiphop is pretty bad. The bling blingers with diva's crap has to go. There is some good hiphop still coming out like J-Live, 7L and Esoteric, Eyedea, Atmosphere, Blackalicious, J5, etc. but this is the minority
    ― Ben Silver (Ben Silver), Wednesday, 9 April 2003 15:30 (12 years ago) Permalink

Hi, i've been reading ILM for a while now and have decided to start my first thread.
    I have been listening to indie and alternative music most of my life, but in a recent shopping trip I decided to buy an album called "The War Report" by two rappers called Capone N Noreaga because it was very cheap in a sale and I liked the colours on the sleeve. This isn't the first hip hop I've ever heard but hitherto this purchase i've always been pretty ambivalent to rap music despite it being the biggest music in the world.
    So anyway, I listened to the cd and really enjoyed it. The music gets a bit boring after a while, but I like the two rapper's personalities and the clear friendship and loyalty between them is very touching.
    Other hip hop I have heard other than snippets on TV and radio has always been on the more "indie" side and i have never really enjoyed it. I'm aware of a large contingent of hip hop "heads" on ilm and would fully appreciate your input into this thread.
    Thanks,
    Danny S
    ― Danny Sewell, Wednesday, 6 August 2003 11:37 (11 years ago) Permalink

Thanks all. Can anyone tell me what the best DMX album is? I heard a song recently where he barks like a dog and he sounded like an interesting personality.
    ― Danny Sewell, Wednesday, 6 August 2003 13:01 (11 years ago) Permalink
    Last edited by luka; 17-04-2015 at 08:15 AM.

i mean, i should also probly make it clear i think giggs is fucking terrible. he sounds just like probly-not-even-playing-football-any-more's shabazz baidoo when he was doing his mc terminator comedy schtick. (which was just him talking like arnie.)(which everyone thought was rubbish, obv.)
    ― r|t|c, Monday, 15 December 2008 22:30 (6 years ago) Permalink

Actually r/t/c is one of the not-mugs tbf
    Eg
    what makes k-punk most intolerable for me, quite frankly, is that he totally lacks flair.
    otoh, if the two of them think a new miserly continuum is the best available stick for beating down bullshit like zomby then MARCH ON, MY RHIZOMORPHIC NODES!!!111!
    ― r|t|c, Thursday, 12 February 2009 22:16 (6 years ago) Permalink

Good opinions

So yeah, a couple of years ago it felt like a load of British rap fans were overcompensating for pop-grime by throwing their weight behind these really limited MCs like Tempah T and Giggs and whoever, who nevertheless had impeccable hardcore credentials. That's exactly what the Hard In Da Paint bandwagon reminds me of, it just sounds lumbering and clumsy to me.
    ― Matt DC, Thursday, 27 January 2011 20:46 (4 years ago) Permalink

I wonder what they have to say about burial

1. Debbie Deb - Lookout Weekend (Instrumental)
    2. Untold - U-29
    3. Jam City - Barely A Trak
    4. Boddika - Basement
    5. Egyptrixx - Liberation Front (Mike Q Remix - Bok Bok Re-Edit)
    6. Ikonika - PR812
    7. Pangaea - Runout
    8. Jam City - Arpjam (Devil Mix)
    9. Ikonika - With Your Face
    10. Bok Bok - Reminder
    11. A1 Bassline - Falsehood
    12. Optimum - Afterglow
    13. Mensah - The Resistance
    14. French Fries & Bambounou - Hugz
    15. Ikonika - I Make Lists

― lex pretend, Tuesday, 10 May 2011 07:30 (3 years ago) Permalink

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Actually r/t/c is one of the not-mugs tbf
    Eg
    what makes k-punk most intolerable for me, quite frankly, is that he totally lacks flair.
    otoh, if the two of them think a new miserly continuum is the best available stick for beating down bullshit like zomby then MARCH ON, MY RHIZOMORPHIC NODES!!!111!
    ― r|t|c, Thursday, 12 February 2009 22:16 (6 years ago) Permalink

Good opinions
    r|t|c and tim f are the only two who really know their onions when it comes to uk nuumy type stuff on ilx. when them two get going its actually far more interesting than the equivalent dissensus threads tbh

the start of the jackin house thread is a good example (not sure if this is even worse than the dissensus one or not. Maybe we could do a poll, throw in the starts to the funky,bassline and shufflin threads too)

Jackin' House partisans, convince a skeptic
    Not all messages are displayed: show all messages (406 of them)
    Tim F, now is your time to shine.

― Not The Other One (Mr Andy M), miércoles 25 de julio de 2012 16:52 (2 years ago) Bookmark Flag Post Permalink

Where does the line come between funky, jackin and afrobeats? I still don't really understand the differences clearly.

― boxedjoy, jueves 26 de julio de 2012 19:16 (2 years ago) Bookmark Flag Post Permalink

I'm not ignoring this thread btw.

― Tim F, jueves 26 de julio de 2012 23:21 (2 years ago) Bookmark Flag Post Permalink

I don't think afrobeats really has a line (because afrobeats is an umbrella term rather than a genre or scene per se), there could be funky afrobeats and for that matter jackin afrobeats if the artists in question fancy it.

― Matt DC, jueves 26 de julio de 2012 23:25 (2 years ago) Bookmark Flag Post Permalink

Where does the line come between funky, jackin and afrobeats? I still don't really understand the differences clearly.

Well I'm not an expert either but I think it mostly comes down to the different kind of beats. Funky = beats with clave/3:2 type snare patterns at about 130bpm. Jackin = much straighter-sounding beats with the snares on the 2 and the 4 in each bar. I think Jackin tunes tend to be slightly slower too, closer to 120bpm but could well be wrong on this.
    Afrobeats is a bit more diverse and harder to pin down. Some of the beat patterns are def similar to Funky, but the genre covers a lot of different types of beats at different tempos. The main thing that marks it out is obv the influence from African music, and a lot tunes have vocals or MCing done in West African accents + patois. That's the other thing that separates it from Funky and Jackin, it's more heavily vocal/song orientated.

― Not The Other One (Mr Andy M), jueves 26 de julio de 2012 23:34 (2 years ago) Bookmark Flag Post Permalink

why does it have such a terrible name

― 40oz of tears (Jordan), jueves 26 de julio de 2012 23:36 (2 years ago) Bookmark Flag Post Permalink

Terrible names are just a tradition in uk dance music at this stage tbh.

― Not The Other One (Mr Andy M), jueves 26 de julio de 2012 23:41 (2 years ago) Bookmark Flag Post Permalink

Great name duh.

― Tim F, viernes 27 de julio de 2012 0:09 (2 years ago) Bookmark Flag Post Permalink

is this a thing? how is it different to...house music

these were basically the only tracks on the summer jams thread that weren't amazing, right?

― lex pretend, viernes 27 de julio de 2012 0:12 (2 years ago) Bookmark Flag Post Permalink

wrong.

― Tim F, viernes 27 de julio de 2012 0:22 (2 years ago) Bookmark Flag Post Permalink

hey i put dj ma1 in mix and you still don't listen whys that

― the late great, viernes 27 de julio de 2012 0:24 (2 years ago) Bookmark Flag Post Permalink

i'm sorry i misunderstood this to be about acid house, not a subgenre of funky

― the late great, viernes 27 de julio de 2012 0:25 (2 years ago) Bookmark Flag Post Permalink

It's not really different to house music (at this stage) - comparable to late 06 / 07 funky in that regard, with different sonic reference points.

Which means it has roughly the same capacity for greatness as you might expect of music "not really different to house music" - quite a lot as it turns out! But I'm not obsessed with it the way I was with funky this time four years ago.

I can't post youtubes at the moment but suffice to say Hannam and Garnett's "you want me" is total top five of the year.

― Tim F, viernes 27 de julio de 2012 0:27 (2 years ago) Bookmark Flag Post Permalink

i am ignoring this thread btw

― r|t|c, viernes 27 de julio de 2012 0:29 (2 years ago) Bookmark Flag Post Permalink

Finney is a secular saint above all criticism like David Attenborough

Also fully agree that the level of 'discourse' on dissensus is 'slow readers class '

But this is a different thread

Finney and David Drake post on Ilx so its always worth a read. Also they did some brilliant poll posts and when we tried on dissensus it was a non starter.

we should all just post on ilx instead. ask them to create a new 'i love dissensus' sub board for us.

David Drake's ability to throw tantrums when someone disagrees on him isn't exactly a selling point Corpsey...

Cmon that's the appeal. He provides a lot of comedy

That tin ear for a joke and unbending obtuseness has provoked so many hilarious 'debates'
    Last edited by luka; 17-04-2015 at 12:43 PM.