Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: I LOVE MUSIC LOL

im sure RTC knows his shit, but i find his posts unnecessarily wordy, like every post is some *hilarious* insider joke. a bit like an energy flash will self.

u know, even though i think i subconsciously only made this thread in the first place to feel the self-lacerating pain of ilm douches getting happy/getting it all wrong (curmudgeon obv STRAIGHT AWAY gettin his dj/rupture global village mode on lol ouch) this is still a fucking lame effort on yalls part!! i mean yeah fine racionate kurupt's position in the rap discourse landscape all you want if it beats back tuomas' truly spectacular challops ("bra-zilliant atmosphere, without a brassiere" i see no problem here dude) but i just thought it would appeal more to not-just-the-usual folks along some universal silly timbo/bubba sparxx 03 throwback glorious mess lines.
    when you were wondered earlier why all this wasn't getting the exposure & exegesis of grime/2step/jungle i tried to imagine what the average punter was thinking, and haha the furthest i got - for all the innovations there've been, subtle and overt - was "just house music, innit." and then i realised that only a rattle-headed dissensian fool could ever consider this anything but a great thing.
    Last edited by rubberdingyrapids; 17-04-2015 at 02:18 PM.

The ilxor cryptic crossword house style, I quite like it even though I also sort of find it disgusting

I thought dave tomkins was more an influence on that than Reynolds tho

Also you just used the word 'parse' which is ilxor house style too, like
    Such and such 'codes as'
    It's infectious
    Rtc is the best at it

yeah, tompkins is prob right. im not really into that sort of 'drunk on my dizzying wordplay' style of writing. tompkins also just sounded nerdily in love with writing IIRC (never really read him beyond the wire tbh), rather than smug and pompous. actually, forget will self, its like reading a nuumy boris johnson.
    Last edited by rubberdingyrapids; 17-04-2015 at 02:38 PM.

How did ILX start - they always seemed really in love with the idea of being music journalists?

Whereas this place was started by music bloggers, which is easy to mock - but I'd argue made it more accessible. More to my taste anyway.

Offshoot of Tom ewings freaky trigger

Ah OK.

It would be great and probably similarly embarrassing if Dissensus had an archive going back to 2001...

I never understood the adoration for music journalists.

I won't try to put a number on it, but how much of what passes under that term outdoes marketing blurb (like, say, what's on Boomkat) in quality of writing, theoretical depth or historical overview?
    It's a pity the blogs went away. At least, there was some heartfelt enthusiasm.

almost as bad as this site

somb 4tw
    snmbsm
    @italkenoughshitonhere

who does the writing for boomkat?

i read some good stuff on the RA site from time to time.

i think people often want diff things from 'music journalism' but i think it def has its uses.

love the writing on boomkat but its not journalistic.
    Last edited by rubberdingyrapids; 21-04-2015 at 12:53 PM.

boomkat buyers write their own (usually gushing) blurbs if they are really into something, but most of the product descriptions are just a copy/paste of the record company's promo blurb. you can tell because you can find the exact same blurbs on other sales sites and music blog "news" sections (as opposed to their review sections).

sometimes i just want a description of what a record sounds like, as opposed to a deep theoretical analysis (sometimes poorly done) of how a track fits into the current scene or the artist's overall body of work. and honestly, a huge proportion of dance music doesn't merit a deep analysis.

true, i just want a scale of how bangin it is

Were you to try and do some serious music journalism about dance music, who would publish it? My deep tech bit was more on the side of 'bigging up music I like' than deep cultural analysis and even then it felt luxuriously esoteric in the context of the Guardian's other music writing.

It's why for how insanely slow dissensus has got recently even compared to my joining a couple of years ago, let alone to those hallowed golden years where everyone was calling everyone fascists and getting kicked off the board, were it to disappear altogether it would still be a massive loss. A community of people who care about and think about and write about dance music and constantly uncover the best new and old music. Totally unthinkable in Japan for one, and actually kind of an amazing thing.

I don't understand why it is so slow even, members should take more responsibility for keeping it moving. Otherwise it loses all value as a procrastination tool

There's enough people on here for it to be a lot sparkier

I feel like a outwardly jolly but secretly despairing primary school teacher trying to come up with activities to keep the class entertained
    Last edited by luka; 22-04-2015 at 10:34 AM.