Leo

sometimes i just want a description of what a record sounds like, as opposed to a deep theoretical analysis (sometimes poorly done) of how a track fits into the current scene or the artist's overall body of work. and honestly, a huge proportion of dance music doesn't merit a deep analysis.

datwun

Were you to try and do some serious music journalism about dance music, who would publish it? My deep tech bit was more on the side of 'bigging up music I like' than deep cultural analysis and even then it felt luxuriously esoteric in the context of the Guardian's other music writing.

It's why for how insanely slow dissensus has got recently even compared to my joining a couple of years ago, let alone to those hallowed golden years where everyone was calling everyone fascists and getting kicked off the board, were it to disappear altogether it would still be a massive loss. A community of people who care about and think about and write about dance music and constantly uncover the best new and old music. Totally unthinkable in Japan for one, and actually kind of an amazing thing.

luka

I don't understand why it is so slow even, members should take more responsibility for keeping it moving. Otherwise it loses all value as a procrastination tool

There's enough people on here for it to be a lot sparkier

luka

I feel like a outwardly jolly but secretly despairing primary school teacher trying to come up with activities to keep the class entertained

Last edited:

Benny B

hmmm...

boomkat prose and niceness vs deep theoretical analysis, wit, cryptic ponderings and big egos/personalities?

rubberdingyrapids

yeah its not.
its more like a home for people with no other forum to go to. just coming here prob as theyve been using it for a while.
some sort of peer promotion needs to happen for new people to join.

luka

The way ilm bullies newcomers is very weird they need to take a look on the mirror there. I've seen that racoon tanuki stuff, he's no more clueless or gauche than Anyone else there

luka

Dissensus has plenty of under 30s they have their own subforum called the shuffling thread

datwun

I don't understand why it is so slow even, members should take more responsibility for keeping it moving. Otherwise it loses all value as a procrastination tool

There's enough people on here for it to be a lot sparkier

Aye, true that, guess you get out what you put in.

I wonder if it's partly to do with the lack of anything new in music? I'd say the most interesting threads of the last couple of years have been the jackin and shuffling ones. These were best when everyone was still figuring out what was going on, and there was more argument and debate. Now everyone's pretty much come round to deep tech - and I mean, why wouldn't you? It's wicked music - the only thing to do is post tunes..

Dunno though, you guyz all live in the UK, shouldn't people be out there like, listening to music in music clubs?

luka

Have you lived London? No one goes out in London we just like knowing the options there lol

Leo

dissensus was/is always better back in the day but it's still better and more interesting that other music boards filled with blowhards who are too concerned with trying to one-up and out-cool each other about what they've discovered and like/dislike. it's more down to earth here, and i'd miss it greatly if it went away.

just to clarify my earlier comments, i still enjoy reading insightful analysis or scene summaries (like datwun's guardian piece). when it comes to new tracks, though, a short and simple boomkat-like "what it sounds like" description is fine by me.