Benny Bunter

Well i am a slut...

I have actually stuck up for dissensus over on ilx in the past

Later when ive got time ill dig out some proper ilx lols for you, promise

jackjambie

Voodoo Priest
following luka's inspiring roll call - i may well be wrong here, but in terms of things slowing down i'm just going to put my foot in it and say that I think certain ppl have maybe got too into being deep tech evangelists recently ;)

no problem with that (maybe cos it's from london?) and it makes sense obvs, but it was a bit divisive that thread. things have defo happened in the wider world of music that deserve the sort of articulate, amusing and intelligent discussion and opinions that have mainly been being channelled into that one topic...

like - why is there no gqom thread on dissensus? there should be a gqom thread on dissensus, even if it's just a tiny one...kode9 has been playing gqom out as i do believe has blackdown...surely that's enough of a talking point already? i know this isn't dubstepforum but it's not deep tech forum either (don't kill me!). but then i guess a forum is whoever's posting so that is sort of where it is right now so fine.

i guess ppl are really keen to move away from that "rinse" world which is why the deep tech success in london has proved so appealing as a talking point recently...but yea, luka's probs hit the nail on the head with the DJs covering their tracks, not posting about new tunes they've found once they've started a label, started to get DJ bookings etc too...

also - been meaning to say this for a while now but, where the fuck has nuum gone? no posting, no FB, no Twitter, no Insta....let's not forget who started both the jackin AND the deep tech threads :eek:

(#RupertReadComeHome)

Last edited:

jackjambie

Voodoo Priest
i'm only a part timer on here anyway though. have enjoyed some of the recent non-music threads on the D - the one about london, the one about working / jobs - they got ppl talking for a bit.

rubberdingyrapids

not enough people starting new threads. id like one about gqom. african dance music in general actually. personally i like afrobeats more than most deep tech but i should probably just go to ilx for that. though i get tired of non stop youtube links.

CrowleyHead

I'd start threads, but for me its two things

1) I mistrust some of the djs/bloggers/label heads out of fear of what happened with cloud rap when I was active in that circle. I'm not trying to sound delusional, but I felt a part of a scene that went so hideously wrong that it made me a bit hesitant now that my enthusiasm's gone. But case in point, I think I'm the only person who ever mentioned "Freeze Tag Booty" before on here, and then months later I find out from a friend Bok Bok and Ben UFO started playing it. I'm sure there's other possibilities, but stuff like that makes me paranoid, because no offense I'd rather certain records have organic growths than get latched onto by irresponsible people.

2) I don't know if the collective of posters will always appreciate the same things. Like, I really love a lot of the r&B/pop end of ratchet has turned out, but if I do a whole megapost is it gonna be just luka saying "song 5 is wicked, lol @ that chorus, great stuff", and Corpsey coming with three paragraphs talking about the Tinashe album, and that's it...? (Or worse, am I going to hear from friends about Ben UFO now discovering Rayven Justice singles?)

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
no problem with that (maybe cos it's from london?) and it makes sense obvs, but it was a bit divisive that thread. things have defo happened in the wider world of music that deserve the sort of articulate, amusing and intelligent discussion and opinions that have mainly been being channelled into that one topic...

I guess that to make for lots of discussion, there has to be music around that isn't just good but also has some sort of grand narrative to spin around it. For Dissensus the 'nuum, and how stuff is positioned relative to it, tends to provide the narrative in the background of a lot of the discussion. Now the 'nuum no longer has the only-game-in-town crucialness that it used to, but we haven't got much framework at all for discussing anything much else.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
I'd start threads, but for me its two things

1) I mistrust some of the djs/bloggers/label heads out of fear of what happened with cloud rap when I was active in that circle. I'm not trying to sound delusional, but I felt a part of a scene that went so hideously wrong that it made me a bit hesitant now that my enthusiasm's gone. But case in point, I think I'm the only person who ever mentioned "Freeze Tag Booty" before on here, and then months later I find out from a friend Bok Bok and Ben UFO started playing it. I'm sure there's other possibilities, but stuff like that makes me paranoid, because no offense I'd rather certain records have organic growths than get latched onto by irresponsible people.

2) I don't know if the collective of posters will always appreciate the same things. Like, I really love a lot of the r&B/pop end of ratchet has turned out, but if I do a whole megapost is it gonna be just luka saying "song 5 is wicked, lol @ that chorus, great stuff", and Corpsey coming with three paragraphs talking about the Tinashe album, and that's it...? (Or worse, am I going to hear from friends about Ben UFO now discovering Rayven Justice singles?)

never heard that tune
you're a bellend

message boards are generally just done aren't they? it's hardly unique to dissensus

Last edited:

UFO over easy

online mahjong
i mean i see the problem
on the one hand you stop posting these gems and the board fades away
on the other you keep the place going with your posts, the scene collapses and you're responsible

it's a dilemma

Leo

i get where you're coming from, crowleyhead, there are many cases when things have gone to shit after they've blown up but i'm not sure cultural protectionism is the answer.

what does "organic growth" actually mean? is a scene good only when just a very small tight-knit community know about it? do the artists/producers/DJs in question actually prefer to be sheltered from exposure for the enjoyment of a select few as opposed to being successful on some level (i.e., able to sell records, get gigs, tour, etc.)? and how is it "irresponsible" for a DJ to find out about a cool track and play it?

CrowleyHead

Oh dear...This could be the thread that finally kills off dissensus for good

I'LL BE THAT

@ Leo; Well this is admittedly my reactionary behavior to things I've experienced, and its not necessarily the best, but its influenced by control issues as someone who aggregates content and knows that sometimes it can lead to irresponsible distribution, approaches... I can't even begin to unpack it all without pointing to specific examples and descending into what could just be me sounding like "NYEEEH, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG" without being in the shoes of the other person.

But I feel like sometimes, when people are sort of performing this sort of activity now its too easy to lead the artist astray. It used to be more about building an audience based around the community or finding a way for the larger genre to let you function. Now its too easy for people who recognize something as being odd-ball and unique to snatch it from that gestation process far too early before it could help the genre before it.

Its like music fans have become eager to snatch premature births from the womb because its more exciting than a healthy birthing. The short term cash & attention is great but how long will it last, will these artists be able to depend on it, and who will put in the time and effort to ensure they get to?

UFO over easy

online mahjong
this is well observed but if you think that you're involved in that process via dissensus in 2015 then yes you are delusional

I'LL BE THAT

@ Leo; Well this is admittedly my reactionary behavior to things I've experienced, and its not necessarily the best, but its influenced by control issues as someone who aggregates content and knows that sometimes it can lead to irresponsible distribution, approaches... I can't even begin to unpack it all without pointing to specific examples and descending into what could just be me sounding like "NYEEEH, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG" without being in the shoes of the other person.

But I feel like sometimes, when people are sort of performing this sort of activity now its too easy to lead the artist astray. It used to be more about building an audience based around the community or finding a way for the larger genre to let you function. Now its too easy for people who recognize something as being odd-ball and unique to snatch it from that gestation process far too early before it could help the genre before it.

Its like music fans have become eager to snatch premature births from the womb because its more exciting than a healthy birthing. The short term cash & attention is great but how long will it last, will these artists be able to depend on it, and who will put in the time and effort to ensure they get to?

Leo

good points, crowleyhead. the internet certainly makes the potential decline faster than in the past, as trends go viral and spin out uncontrollably. i'm just not sure there's any way to contain the pace of change and development.