luka

Yeah big kerfuffle about it. Seems a lot of top gawkers were posting there. Pretty funny.

luka

actually, i warm my nacho chips up because we're a bit sensitive to the oils and salt they use

luka

why do i buy trader joe's salsa? every time I do it, it is always so disappointing that I eat a tenth of it and then say, "why suffer through bad salsa?" and get good salsa at whole foods.
― sarahell, Wednesday, 17 February 2016 18:23 (2 weeks ago) Permalink

that said, the Indonesian salsa is actually quite good
― sarahell, Wednesday, 17 February 2016 18:25 (2 weeks ago) Permalink

their corn uhh salsa or whatever they call it is pretty good
the tomato-based salsa are all pretty meh as far as I've found
― μpright mammal (mh), Wednesday, 17 February 2016 18:31 (2 weeks ago) Permalink

The tomatillo is OK if you want mild.
― nickn, Wednesday, 17 February 2016 19:23 (2 weeks ago) Permalink

i like taking the red or green jarred salsa and blending it with loads of cilantro and many habaneros. they're both great bases, imo, but kinda weak by themselves
― Edgard Varese is god (of music anyways) (outdoor_miner), Wednesday, 17 February 2016 19:29 (2 weeks ago) Permalink

luka

Pizza Veggie Burgers were fantastic. We eat a lot of the Quinoa Cowboy Veggie Burgers, but I think Pizza Burgers is going to make it into the rotation.
― Jeff, Wednesday, 10 February 2016 14:18 (3 weeks ago) Permalink

luka

will ride for the chocolate covered peanut butter filled pretzels tho
― rip dom passantino 3/5/09 never forget (max), Wednesday, 11 March 2009 14:14 (6 years ago) Permalink/FONT]

luka

Baja Fresh is incredibly fattening and caloric. I used to enjoy their burritos "enchilado style" until I looked up the calorie content/fat content on their website... the burritos themselves have about 1,000 calories.. and the "enchilado style" part (enchilada sauce, cheese, side of chips and cheese and all melted and gooey) ads AN ADDITIONAL 900 CALORIES. So the whole thing IS 1,900 CALORIES OMG WTF???? I never ate it again.

― Towelette Pettatucci (Homosexual II), Friday, 3 September 2004 19:06 (11 years ago) Permalink

luka

Actually, would recommend a walk up Portobello Road north of Talbot Road (Rough Trade's 'original' store is on that corner) stopping for the following:
Clothes market beside Portobello Road in the shadow of the Westway bridge, combination of vintage and new designers (and a pretty good tights and socks stall). There's a great Malaysian restaurant called Makan there, which is inexpensive and has been there for ages.
Ignore the food trucks on your right and carry on up Portobello Road - it turns into cheaper old-clothes stalls and shops, and on the left is a massive old Spanish convent/school.
At the corner of Portobello Road and Golborne Road, there is a tapas restaurant called Galicia that's very reliable and good value. Grizzled old Spanish guys work there and it meets with the approval of my friend C's picky Spanish mum.
Turn right (east) into Golborne Road - antiques on the road and in shops, lots of cafés - Moroccan, Lebanese, one new and chi-chi Danish one. There are tons of chairs and tables around food trucks on the north side of the road; I call them Fake Morocco.
Stella McCartney's corporate HQ is on Golborne Road roughly opposite the Portuguese bakery/café Lisboa - there's nothing nicer than to sit at an outside table there or at Oporto opposite, drinking a galao and having a pasteis de nata in the sun.
That huge brutalist apartment building looming over the road is Trellick Tower, designed by Erno Goldfinger.
Just off Golborne Road by the Trellick Tower is a very expensive and fashiony vintage store, Rellik It's always worth a look.
― jedi slimane (suzy), Sunday, 3 April 2016 22:29 (Yesterday) Permalink

luka

If you're oriented east, try the Ace Hotel in Shoreditch - very chichi hipster, but don't hold that against it. I like Hoi Polloi, the restaurant in it.
The Zetter and the Rosewood hotels are central - the former is modern, the latter is in an ornate, refurbished old insurance HQ (you'll never believe insurers could be that baroque) with about five good restaurants inside, and they have a hotel dog you can borrow (I've met this golden lab being taken for runs in Lincoln's Inn Fields right behind the hotel).
Try the Mr and Mrs Smith group of hotels for cozy nightcap style accomodation in various neighbourhoods, and make sure you eat at St John.
― jedi slimane (suzy), Sunday, 3 April 2016 23:02 (Yesterday) Permalink

luka

I'd get the hotel to reserve/do the admin for any nice restaurant that takes a credit card number when people book.
― jedi slimane (suzy), Monday, 4 April 2016 23:55 (Yesterday) Permalink

UUuuuuuugh I so don't want to play the reservations game, but I will if I have to.
OK so current list of restaurant contenders is: St John, Barrafina (no reservations, so we'll try for a walk in), Clove Club, Anchor and Hope, Ledbury, Dinner, Petrus, Ducasse, The Square, Fera, Quality Chop House, Palomar, Honey and Co. Plus I gotta fit in an Indian meal--chowhound mentions Dishroom, Trishna, Gykhana--any thoughts?
Too many restaurants, not enough days :(
xpost Thank you, Suzy. I'll try to narrow down to two "blow-out" meals and ask for reservation help.
― mom tossed in kimchee (quincie), Monday, 4 April 2016 23:57 (Yesterday) Permalink

Barrafina rewards those who queue at around noon - there are obnoxious execs that send their PAs down to save them a place, so the key is to beat them to the front.
― jedi slimane (suzy), Tuesday, 5 April 2016 00:08 (12 hours ago) Permalink

Borough Market is a bit crazed - would avoid on weekends as in firm Not Fun territory but weekdays are ok. London is generally a bit shit with food markets as destinations like in Montreal or Paris or whatnot, but they're worth a visit if you're nearby. (Personally I prefer wandering round Selfridge's market or the mahoosive Whole Foods in Kensington but, er, they're not holiday winners.)
Bars - I have hearing damage and like quiet spots - the Connaught and Langham are both have great cocktail menus. I love Duke's in St James which is vv old school (Ian Fleming's old bar) but it's intimate, the staff are friendly, and there's usually lots of interesting non-scumbag posh people to eavesdrop on. I also like Heights in Oxford Circus, which is a merely average bar but has a superb views over London and the new BBC building, especially in the loos. If you can stand it, the Centerpoint bar near your hotel also has an excellent London view, but don't stay for long (and you need to book in advance).
― Chuck_Tatum, Tuesday, 5 April 2016 00:12 (12 hours ago) Permalink

Duke's sounds like my kind of place, for sure.
― mom tossed in kimchee (quincie), Tuesday, 5 April 2016 00:15 (12 hours ago) Permalink

Any superb coffee near Rosewood? I'm going to need it after all these cocktails.
― mom tossed in kimchee (quincie), Tuesday, 5 April 2016 00:16 (12 hours ago) Permalink

The Espresso Room is my local, and is still pretty good even though the owner changed last year. I also go to Fleet River Bakery which is about 100m from the Rosewood (and they do nice coffee in the Holborn Delicatessen onsite).
― jedi slimane (suzy), Tuesday, 5 April 2016 00:25 (12 hours ago) Permalink

I probably wouldn't make Dishoom a priority, especially as you can't book. I hear very good things about Gymkhana and Trishna but they are edging towards one off blowout territory.
I would also avoid anything with a no-bookings policy, which rules out Dishoom. This does include the Anchor and Hope BUT that is basically a pub and it's easy enough to drink in relative comfort if there isn't a table. (NB I love the Anchor and Hope).
Booking most of the other places online should be pretty straightforward.
― Matt DC, Tuesday, 5 April 2016 08:13 (4 hours ago) Permalink

Maybe don't go to Borough Market, or if you do, prioritise going to Maltby Street and/or Druid Street market first. Better food. Borough has more of the quality of an event but the cooking at the food stalls is p shit.
I wouldn't avoid anything with a no-bookings policy - not least Barrafina or Anchor and Hope, which are pretty easy to get into. And make it easy to wait as you say. The no-bookings hell is more like burger restaurant du jour.
The queue in Barrafina is like "grand I'll have a glass of wine", unless it's manic, which it doesn't tend to be - the Drury Lane one is p easy to get into anytime at lunch, and before 1930 or so on weekdays. Even after that it's not bad. Barrafina is actually really nice for a weekend lunch imo - it has a very bright and relaxed feeling.
I wouldn't specifically go to that area to go to Anchor and Hope but given it's beside the Young Vic which was my theatre recommendation, then I probably would.
― japanese mage (LocalGarda), Tuesday, 5 April 2016 09:16 (3 hours ago) Permalink

If you do end up at Maltby Street, there are a few good restaurants there. A small St John, a tapas bar called Tozino, and a wine bar called 40 Maltby Street. There are also many many breweries around that area which open on a Saturday, if either of you are into beer. If you only tried one, I'd go to the Kernel. They get a bit overcrowded but it can be a fun thing to do.
― japanese mage (LocalGarda), Tuesday, 5 April 2016 09:18 (3 hours ago) Permalink

Personally I prefer wandering round Selfridge's market or the mahoosive Whole Foods in Kensington but, er, they're not holiday winners.)

lol I was actually going to say maybe go to Selfridges, I mean if you're on the kind of holiday where shopping might appeal. Also Liberty. Beautiful building and a nice shop.
― japanese mage (LocalGarda), Tuesday, 5 April 2016 09:21 (3 hours ago) Permalink

I wouldn't specifically go to that area to go to Anchor and Hope but given it's beside the Young Vic which was my theatre recommendation, then I probably would.

Or if they're on the South Bank, from which it's a short walk, especially given most South Bank food options are best avoided.
It should be pointed out that if you're in Holborn you're in really excellent walking territory, right between the City and the West End, with Bloomsbury to the north and the aforementioned walk down to the river southwards. In fact you're really well placed for a lot of zone one stuff. Bloomsbury especially can be quite peaceful and worth a wander round if things are getting hectic.
― Matt DC, Tuesday, 5 April 2016 09:30 (3 hours ago) Permalink

yeah otm. you can walk everywhere from there. another recommendation - i'd probably go to the delaunay or its small adjoining cafe - it's very old school, viennese themed but essentially quite british, brilliant service. particularly good for breakfast.
― japanese mage (LocalGarda), Tuesday, 5 April 2016 09:47 (3 hours ago) Permalink

CrowleyHead

Oh god, I think I recognize one of these posters from twitter. Its like discovering your neighbor who you always kind of thought was rude is actually a guy who sets housepets on fire.

Benny Bunter

I haven't posted in this thread before but what can you say about grime unless you actually ARE overintellectualizing it?

Here's a choon! ITS ALOT! or That's BIG! are about all I can say about the shit I listen to. I just really respond favorably to the stuff I like but not really to say anything much about.

I like grime. There is a lot of great underground shit in myspace. That is mainly the stuff I am listening to.

If I were to really indulge myself and attempt to explain it, I would liken it to the concept of terroir in wine and the issue of whether one would be inclined to drink the wine, appreciating it fully, or choose to blather on about tannins and licorice notes or something. I mean, I could tell you some good wines to go out and get or some nice MCs to check out but I usually only do that if someone asks me.

Also, it seems to me that nobody really big in grime wants to get hit with that tag (what they really want to do is direct). Fear of the conclusive death of "Grime" as such is palpable to me amongst them and no one wants to be left behind is my take on that part. I haven't made a systematic search of all the grime posts here but it seems like people are usually talking about the big names whereas I think the real action is just in some bedroom on a council estate and thus in myspace.

I'd like to see more Grime posts. I'm always lookin to check out the MC du jour, shatap.

― Saxby D. Elder, viernes 7 de diciembre de 2007 18:42 (8 years ago) Bookmark Flag Post Permalink

with your firm grasp of the argot, you must be a native east londoner.

― That one guy that hit it and quit it, miércoles 12 de diciembre de 2007 19:02 (8 years ago) Bookmark Flag Post Permalink

close, southside Chicago! BRAP!!

― Saxby D. Elder, miércoles 12 de diciembre de 2007 19:32 (8 years ago) Bookmark Flag Post Permalink

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Just signed up to ILM so I could stalk Tim F using the search function but it doesn't seem to work very well. Is there a 'see all posts by' function that I've missed?

If Tim happens to read this: please don't be disturbed, I just like reading your writing, and I want to take over your body by murdering you. :)

luka

I know sweet f*** all about Hip Hop. I've cultivated a dislike for it over the years: it's all about swinging your dick/your gun/your bling. It's about bitches and hos. It's violent and misogynist. The artists are generally enormously egotistical jerks.
Here's what I've liked so far: The Streets 'A Grand Don't Come for Free' and MIA's Kala.
― Peter "One Dart" Manley (The stickman from the hilarious 'xkcd' comics), Tuesday, 2 December 2008 21:18 (seven years ago) Permalink

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I know sweet f*** all about Hip Hop. I've cultivated a dislike for it over the years: it's all about swinging your dick/your gun/your bling. It's about bitches and hos. It's violent and misogynist. The artists are generally enormously egotistical jerks.
Here's what I've liked so far: The Streets 'A Grand Don't Come for Free' and MIA's Kala.
― Peter "One Dart" Manley (The stickman from the hilarious 'xkcd' comics), Tuesday, 2 December 2008 21:18 (seven years ago) Permalink

This is what happens when you let morality mess with your music.