luka

How have I been shown my claims don't work? Saying he uses melodies that remind me mainly of 90s grunge hasn't been "disproven" because you said you listened to one song and thought it reminded you of beach house.

Dropping a bunch of musical terms that btw I am actually familiar with--I studied jazz and am very familiar w the Dorian and phyrgian modes & what they mean harmonically is not some decisive death blow to an argument about an artist you've given a cursory skim. I haven't addressed your specific claims mainly bc you kept talking about "harmonies" when I was talking about a vocalist's *melodic* sensibilities? One who doesn't often harmonize

― Listen to my homeboy Fantano (D-40), Monday, 7 November 2016 00:43 (twelve hours ago) Permalink

Being that he is basing his music around loops like most rap artists of course the songs don't have the underlying harmonic structure of grunge but then that was never a claim I made

― Listen to my homeboy Fantano (D-40), Monday, 7 November 2016 00:56 (twelve hours ago) Permalink

i did not study jazz and i am not familiar with phyrgian modes but still i am confident that lil peep is not good

― based grandpa (noz), Monday, 7 November 2016 00:57 (twelve hours ago) Permalink

"I studied jazz and this, like everything I see and hear, sounds like Chief Keef"

― Whiney G. Weingarten, Monday, 7 November 2016 00:58 (twelve hours ago) Permalink

Chris you haven't actually been in touch with what's going on in rap since the Clinton administration

― Listen to my homeboy Fantano (D-40), Monday, 7 November 2016 01:07 (eleven hours ago) Permalink

But I'm stoked to figure out what new stone you can possibly overturn to say something new about run the jewels next time though

― Listen to my homeboy Fantano (D-40), Monday, 7 November 2016 01:09 (eleven hours ago) Permalink

At least this time noz can't delete evidence of being wrong like he did w his blogs

― Listen to my homeboy Fantano (D-40), Monday, 7 November 2016 01:10 (eleven hours ago) Permalink

david if you deleted your blogs would anyone notice

― based grandpa (noz), Monday, 7 November 2016 01:19 (eleven hours ago) Permalink

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Does this fit?

"We The People" is too fucking low and all this "it is clearly an inferior track on the album" nonsense really shows how one's privilege can color the reception of a message

― ornate orchestral arrangements (DJP), Thursday, 26 January 2017 19:10 (two minutes ago) Bookmark Flag Post Permalink

I thought it was shit cos of the Intergalactic Planetary Intergalactic filter on his voice but maybe that was the heinous martorialist twisting my melon again.

luka

Mary J. Blige: Classic or Dud?

She's a diva, no question. "Real Love" is a CLASSIC song. She's gotten better as a singer, and she was pretty good to begin with. What I've heard, I've liked - even if the song itself ain't so great, that voice is like buttah on a hot biscuit. And the new single ("Family Affair") is superb - ah, that voice...
But what's up with the new video and her "dancing"? Divas shouldn't dance - they should preen and pose, wearing big furs and rings and stuff. And if a diva is going to dance, they should DANCE - none of that modified hokey-pokey stuff. It's like a new version of the Seinfeld dance - not lookin' too good.

So, where should I go? What should I do?

― David Raposa, Thursday, 30 August 2001 00:00 (fifteen years ago) Permalink

What you should do is start listening to Aretha's 60's Atlantic stuff. Like, immediately.
― Sean, Thursday, 30 August 2001 00:00 (fifteen years ago) Permalink

precisiongrind

never could understand the allure of analyzing the non-music boards of ILX on dissensus was, but it looks like it kept going after I avoided reading this thread for a couple years?

hopefully someone in the US found our musings on grocery store salsas useful

luka

last night at a hipster indie party the dj put on "Crunk Muzik" and i went buckwild, and the crowd did also, but were a little confused. my wife said to me, "how do i even dance to this?!" and then she just realized you need to get buckwild and started bouncing to it!

luka

the newer, larger quiche is better than the old quiches

― you are juror number 144 and we will excuse you (Sufjan Grafton), Tuesday, 17 October 2017 18:03 (five days ago) Permalink

whoa the frozen bibimbap bowl is GREAT!!

― the masseduction of lauryn hill (Stevie D(eux)), Thursday, 19 October 2017 14:30 (three days ago) Permalink

luka

this is such a great thread. really urge everyone to go back to the very first page and read it from the very start.

rubberdingyrapids

Yeah well, Gambino has more charisma in one fingernail than Kanye in his entire body.

― ✖✖✖ (Moka), Tuesday, June 12, 2018 8:22 PM (two days ago) Bookmark Flag Post Permalink

Woebot

I wonder what rudewhy regretted typing.
Crowleyhead is consciously deliberately laying down the gauntlet. I don't see why that shouldn't be picked up. A bit of honest debate never hurt anyone

he said:

"Conversation on this thread is ridiculous, some of you need to get out more"

*ouroboros*

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I find Young Team as good as Loveless, which sez lots. I picked up on Mogwai back with the release of Ten Rapid, which is admittedly sort of spotty, but Summer was/is a great track. Also, I find their choice of remixers very tasteful. CODY grew on me, but was always a bit on the morose end, while I find Young Team to be a big head rush. I've been quite looking forward to Rock Action, and must go pick it up. So, uh, classic. I mark them as the best of the "second wave" of post- rock (i.e. the post-Chicago/Louisville scene).
― Sterling Clover, Monday, 23 April 2001 01:00 (twenty years ago)

@woops you can now froth with rage.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I hadn't listened to Young Team in probably a year and a half before this morning, but this album remains an utter masterpiece of mood and tension, a collection of muted, fucked-up, drifting-to-sleep emotions. There's an unbelievable implied depth (sonic? emotional?) to the songs, something that's really hard to get at from merely describing the sound or the methodology of the record. I like to think that there's a certain place in the world -- maybe some pocket of air a few hundred feet in the air over the ocean -- where the theme from "Tracy" plays endlessly. Is anyone else still listening to Young Team?
― Clarke B. (Clarke B.), Sunday, 9 May 2004 15:44 (seventeen years ago)