luka

1. Debbie Deb - Lookout Weekend (Instrumental)
2. Untold - U-29
3. Jam City - Barely A Trak
4. Boddika - Basement
5. Egyptrixx - Liberation Front (Mike Q Remix - Bok Bok Re-Edit)
6. Ikonika - PR812
7. Pangaea - Runout
8. Jam City - Arpjam (Devil Mix)
9. Ikonika - With Your Face
10. Bok Bok - Reminder
11. A1 Bassline - Falsehood
12. Optimum - Afterglow
13. Mensah - The Resistance
14. French Fries & Bambounou - Hugz
15. Ikonika - I Make Lists

― lex pretend, Tuesday, 10 May 2011 07:30 (3 years ago) Permalink

Benny B

Actually r/t/c is one of the not-mugs tbf
Eg
what makes k-punk most intolerable for me, quite frankly, is that he totally lacks flair.
otoh, if the two of them think a new miserly continuum is the best available stick for beating down bullshit like zomby then MARCH ON, MY RHIZOMORPHIC NODES!!!111!
― r|t|c, Thursday, 12 February 2009 22:16 (6 years ago) Permalink

Good opinions

r|t|c and tim f are the only two who really know their onions when it comes to uk nuumy type stuff on ilx. when them two get going its actually far more interesting than the equivalent dissensus threads tbh

the start of the jackin house thread is a good example (not sure if this is even worse than the dissensus one or not. Maybe we could do a poll, throw in the starts to the funky,bassline and shufflin threads too)

Jackin' House partisans, convince a skeptic
Not all messages are displayed: show all messages (406 of them)
Tim F, now is your time to shine.

― Not The Other One (Mr Andy M), miércoles 25 de julio de 2012 16:52 (2 years ago) Bookmark Flag Post Permalink

Where does the line come between funky, jackin and afrobeats? I still don't really understand the differences clearly.

― boxedjoy, jueves 26 de julio de 2012 19:16 (2 years ago) Bookmark Flag Post Permalink

I'm not ignoring this thread btw.

― Tim F, jueves 26 de julio de 2012 23:21 (2 years ago) Bookmark Flag Post Permalink

I don't think afrobeats really has a line (because afrobeats is an umbrella term rather than a genre or scene per se), there could be funky afrobeats and for that matter jackin afrobeats if the artists in question fancy it.

― Matt DC, jueves 26 de julio de 2012 23:25 (2 years ago) Bookmark Flag Post Permalink

Where does the line come between funky, jackin and afrobeats? I still don't really understand the differences clearly.

Well I'm not an expert either but I think it mostly comes down to the different kind of beats. Funky = beats with clave/3:2 type snare patterns at about 130bpm. Jackin = much straighter-sounding beats with the snares on the 2 and the 4 in each bar. I think Jackin tunes tend to be slightly slower too, closer to 120bpm but could well be wrong on this.
Afrobeats is a bit more diverse and harder to pin down. Some of the beat patterns are def similar to Funky, but the genre covers a lot of different types of beats at different tempos. The main thing that marks it out is obv the influence from African music, and a lot tunes have vocals or MCing done in West African accents + patois. That's the other thing that separates it from Funky and Jackin, it's more heavily vocal/song orientated.

― Not The Other One (Mr Andy M), jueves 26 de julio de 2012 23:34 (2 years ago) Bookmark Flag Post Permalink

why does it have such a terrible name

― 40oz of tears (Jordan), jueves 26 de julio de 2012 23:36 (2 years ago) Bookmark Flag Post Permalink

Terrible names are just a tradition in uk dance music at this stage tbh.

― Not The Other One (Mr Andy M), jueves 26 de julio de 2012 23:41 (2 years ago) Bookmark Flag Post Permalink

Great name duh.

― Tim F, viernes 27 de julio de 2012 0:09 (2 years ago) Bookmark Flag Post Permalink

is this a thing? how is it different to...house music

these were basically the only tracks on the summer jams thread that weren't amazing, right?

― lex pretend, viernes 27 de julio de 2012 0:12 (2 years ago) Bookmark Flag Post Permalink

wrong.

― Tim F, viernes 27 de julio de 2012 0:22 (2 years ago) Bookmark Flag Post Permalink

hey i put dj ma1 in mix and you still don't listen whys that

― the late great, viernes 27 de julio de 2012 0:24 (2 years ago) Bookmark Flag Post Permalink

i'm sorry i misunderstood this to be about acid house, not a subgenre of funky

― the late great, viernes 27 de julio de 2012 0:25 (2 years ago) Bookmark Flag Post Permalink

It's not really different to house music (at this stage) - comparable to late 06 / 07 funky in that regard, with different sonic reference points.

Which means it has roughly the same capacity for greatness as you might expect of music "not really different to house music" - quite a lot as it turns out! But I'm not obsessed with it the way I was with funky this time four years ago.

I can't post youtubes at the moment but suffice to say Hannam and Garnett's "you want me" is total top five of the year.

― Tim F, viernes 27 de julio de 2012 0:27 (2 years ago) Bookmark Flag Post Permalink

i am ignoring this thread btw

― r|t|c, viernes 27 de julio de 2012 0:29 (2 years ago) Bookmark Flag Post Permalink

luka

Also fully agree that the level of 'discourse' on dissensus is 'slow readers class '

But this is a different thread

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Finney and David Drake post on Ilx so its always worth a read. Also they did some brilliant poll posts and when we tried on dissensus it was a non starter.

luka

That tin ear for a joke and unbending obtuseness has provoked so many hilarious 'debates'

Last edited:

rubberdingyrapids

im sure RTC knows his shit, but i find his posts unnecessarily wordy, like every post is some *hilarious* insider joke. a bit like an energy flash will self.

u know, even though i think i subconsciously only made this thread in the first place to feel the self-lacerating pain of ilm douches getting happy/getting it all wrong (curmudgeon obv STRAIGHT AWAY gettin his dj/rupture global village mode on lol ouch) this is still a fucking lame effort on yalls part!! i mean yeah fine racionate kurupt's position in the rap discourse landscape all you want if it beats back tuomas' truly spectacular challops ("bra-zilliant atmosphere, without a brassiere" i see no problem here dude) but i just thought it would appeal more to not-just-the-usual folks along some universal silly timbo/bubba sparxx 03 throwback glorious mess lines.

when you were wondered earlier why all this wasn't getting the exposure & exegesis of grime/2step/jungle i tried to imagine what the average punter was thinking, and haha the furthest i got - for all the innovations there've been, subtle and overt - was "just house music, innit." and then i realised that only a rattle-headed dissensian fool could ever consider this anything but a great thing.

Last edited:

luka

The ilxor cryptic crossword house style, I quite like it even though I also sort of find it disgusting

I thought dave tomkins was more an influence on that than Reynolds tho

Also you just used the word 'parse' which is ilxor house style too, like
Such and such 'codes as'
It's infectious
Rtc is the best at it

rubberdingyrapids

yeah, tompkins is prob right. im not really into that sort of 'drunk on my dizzying wordplay' style of writing. tompkins also just sounded nerdily in love with writing IIRC (never really read him beyond the wire tbh), rather than smug and pompous. actually, forget will self, its like reading a nuumy boris johnson.

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
How did ILX start - they always seemed really in love with the idea of being music journalists?

Whereas this place was started by music bloggers, which is easy to mock - but I'd argue made it more accessible. More to my taste anyway.

john eden

male pale and stale
Ah OK.

It would be great and probably similarly embarrassing if Dissensus had an archive going back to 2001...

Numbers

I never understood the adoration for music journalists.

I won't try to put a number on it, but how much of what passes under that term outdoes marketing blurb (like, say, what's on Boomkat) in quality of writing, theoretical depth or historical overview?
It's a pity the blogs went away. At least, there was some heartfelt enthusiasm.

rubberdingyrapids

who does the writing for boomkat?

i read some good stuff on the RA site from time to time.

i think people often want diff things from 'music journalism' but i think it def has its uses.

love the writing on boomkat but its not journalistic.

Last edited:

Leo

boomkat buyers write their own (usually gushing) blurbs if they are really into something, but most of the product descriptions are just a copy/paste of the record company's promo blurb. you can tell because you can find the exact same blurbs on other sales sites and music blog "news" sections (as opposed to their review sections).