MAYWEATHER VS PACQUIAO

YES, OR NO

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
definitely gonna watch. but can pacquiao win? virtually no-one who's vaguely neutral seems to think so.

on the other hand.... since 2005, Mayweather has only knocked out Hatton and Ortiz (?), and the latter was as close to cheating-within-the-rules as you get.

So it could get interesting in the second half if Pacquiao is behind on points (which you'd presume would be the case given Mayweather's technical gifts) and gets desperate for the KO.

luka

Neither have any kos in years. Mayweather has fragile hands like calzaghe had

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
at least calzaghe had the excuse of being welsh

hm, this might actually be really boring, mightn't it? Let's hope controversy enters the ring early on.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
at least calzaghe had the excuse of being welsh

hm, this might actually be really boring, mightn't it? Let's hope controversy enters the ring early on.

Good call. I didn't stay up for it and apparently that was a good decision.

The LA Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs game before it was very exciting though.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Otoh, it was the most exciting fight Mayweather has had in years. Otoh it was still an interminably boring & joyless 12 rounds. Which, along with unrepentant domestic abuse, about sums up Mayweather. I can't think of another fighter, besides the Klitschkos (who are at least heavyweights, which everyone assumes will be terrible & boring), whose style was simultaneously so successful & so bad for boxing.

Manny stole a few rounds by throwing flurries that had a tiny bit of the fighter he was 5-6 years ago, but even that was depressing, since it's a reminder that he's merely a shadow of that fighter now. I think he hit Floyd cleanly maybe once (in the 2nd round) all night. Then he made an embarrassing claim that he won a fight he damn well knew he lost. Pride, I guess.

Floyd is very savvy. He dodged Manny with all that PED bullshit until Manny had lost the foot/hand speed & burst that made him dangerous. In 2009 I would have put the odds at about 60/40 Mayweather, whereas last night was more like 95/5, if that.

The best part of the fight for me, tbh, was Jamie Foxx's national anthem & Floyd having the Burger King in his walkout entourage. & the Mexican announcers from the streams we were pirating on.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
It does feel like the last time boxing will get anything close to a monocultural (at least in the U.S.) moment for a long while

petergunn

plywood violin
Otoh, it was the most exciting fight Mayweather has had in years. Otoh it was still an interminably boring & joyless 12 rounds. Which, along with unrepentant domestic abuse, about sums up Mayweather. I can't think of another fighter, besides the Klitschkos (who are at least heavyweights, which everyone assumes will be terrible & boring), whose style was simultaneously so successful & so bad for boxing.

Manny stole a few rounds by throwing flurries that had a tiny bit of the fighter he was 5-6 years ago, but even that was depressing, since it's a reminder that he's merely a shadow of that fighter now. I think he hit Floyd cleanly maybe once (in the 2nd round) all night. Then he made an embarrassing claim that he won a fight he damn well knew he lost. Pride, I guess.

Floyd is very savvy. He dodged Manny with all that PED bullshit until Manny had lost the foot/hand speed & burst that made him dangerous. In 2009 I would have put the odds at about 60/40 Mayweather, whereas last night was more like 95/5, if that.

The best part of the fight for me, tbh, was Jamie Foxx's national anthem & Floyd having the Burger King in his walkout entourage. & the Mexican announcers from the streams we were pirating on.

^^^^^^^^^^this is about the best summation of the fight...

if this fight had happened right after manny pounded cotto, we might have seen floyd catch an L... speaking of cotto, the way floyd played it safe with manny proves his "slugfest" with cotto was a joke, that he had figured out cotto couldn't hurt him so he traded blows... with manny he was cautious all night...

in other boxing news, the canelo fight was the slugfest all the neophytes wanted from the superfight.... ggg is an exiting fighter, but untested...