john eden

male pale and stale
jenks said:
ahh maximiser the character that came up up with the threat of spamming dissensus into the stone age

actually, to be fair to him, that was me maliciously editing his spammy post. :eek:

zhao

there are no accidents
I may not be up to the minute on indie publications but to my knowledge Vice regularly does the most creative journalism for a youth culture magazine. ever.

first person experience of sexual politics in the economic boom of shang-hai; glue sniffing kids in africa; pro-skaters looking for the perfect ramp in Israeli war zones; a day in the life of an undertaker; etc, etc, etc, etc.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Vice Magazine is ok but you have to take it with a pinch of salt, that's all. Part of the thing with Vice is whether or not you get it and whether or not there is anything to get and that allows them to have this stance of saying what they like and then saying they were joking. This is pretty weak but in a free magazine I don't really care.
Someone upthread (I can't remember who) said that their kind of humour is very easy to do but you only have to see the people who try to do it and fall flat on their face on their letters page and on their online forum to realise that it isn't as easy as all that. I do find the forums they do very revealing of the kind of people who take it too seriously, they are filled with illiterate (better spell that right) fools trying to be as offensive as possible

http://www.viceland.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=2;t=257

This annoys me but you can't review a magazine (or band or anything) by it's audience can you?
Also, like everyone said, Piers Martin is good and they do articles on interesting stuff that no-one else does.

bassnation

the abyss
IdleRich said:
This annoys me but you can't review a magazine (or band or anything) by it's audience can you?

i've just been checking the website and on cursory examination (the do's and don'ts, plus reader comments) seems to be rather a lot of people calling each other limp dick faggots, mongoloids and urging each other to fuck their mothers cunts.

don't get me wrong, got no problem with people being cutting and offensive if its witty and funny - but i can get this kind of asisine tripe on a zillion net forums.

is this what passes for adult humour in hoxton these days?

maybe i'm getting too old to appreciate the brilliance of yoof media.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
"i've just been checking the website and on cursory examination (the do's and don'ts, plus reader comments) seems to be rather a lot of people calling each other limp dick faggots, mongoloids and urging each other to fuck their mothers cunts."

I just think that the magazine does it with (slightly) more humour and style than the readers and forum posters who seem to have completely removed the funny bit which just leaves you some potty mouthed idiots trying to outdo each other (as you said).

bassnation

the abyss
IdleRich said:
I just think that the magazine does it with (slightly) more humour and style than the readers and forum posters who seem to have completely removed the funny bit which just leaves you some potty mouthed idiots trying to outdo each other (as you said).

yeah, maybe i should actually read the magazine proper before passing judgement (lol)

zhao

there are no accidents
bassnation said:
yeah, maybe i should actually read the magazine proper before passing judgement (lol)

yes that is usually a good idea Bassnation.

ofcourse you can't judge anything by its audience, but Vice particularly has been so successful and is able to keep doing the interesting articles because they are popular and have mass appeal. and "mass" always means a high percentage of morons.

the reader's reponses come mostly from said teenage morons, but on the forum you do see a lot of political discussion, on this page for instance:

http://www.viceland.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi?;act=SF;f=3;st=60

and to get today's kids to talk about world affairs on their own is no small feat!

luka

#nofap is a genius move, whether deliberate or accidental, to raise aggression levels within the group. A reservoir of Free floating belligerence to channel towards the approved targets.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
It's interesting to look back on this given what McInnes gets up to these days.

fair to say this was spot on:

"Vice is co-opting underground culture and turning it into a commodity which it's then using to further their own agenda," says Paint it Black's owner Tom Scott. "It's a movement of fascist little hipsters."
Scott is concerned many of Vice's readers - traditionally a demographic who challenged authority and agitated for social change - have stopped caring about morals. "There's a whole group of punk kids that have decided punk isn't for them any more, and that they've got to grow up. So they slot into this Vice-esque, cocaine-snorting existence. They're going against all their past ideals as some kind of statement. They think they're being ironic."

same thing like south park

chava

Vice is the peak examplar that nihilist culture is the direct cause of communism/fascism/radical feminism/whatever.

luka

how did communism cause vice? :confused:

This is an argument mr tea has been making for years. It's a physics argument. It says that by demanding equal rights and stuff women and poofs and ethnics cause, by this wild overreach, the pushback, the counterbalance. It's their own fault. They were asking for it.

luka

To be fair to them there is a kernel of truth there in the form of the escalation which is inevitable once polarisation is established but its a bit hmmmmm

luka

Burroughs talks about this feedback loop of escalation "did you hear what he said about your mum" back and forth and twitter could almost be a machine designed for this specific purpose