"Ratchet" / R&Bass / DJ Mustard

CrowleyHead

There is a mix by Son Raw from Passion of the Weiss of a ton of Mustard's more rap oriented work and some R&B stuff.

rubberdingyrapids

3 hours of mustard -

im into this. obv i know most of it already but mustard is perfect for people missing changing sames and super auteur producers like timbo and the neptunes (speaking of which, that freedom song of his on the beats tv advert is the worst) etc. i think this is a big part of the appeal for me. the lyrics are really the worst though. just vacuous and obnoxious. maybe im getting old (i have this problem listening to a lot of rap these days). i felt the same the other day listening to cash moneys greatest hits after a long time. but it leaves me feeling empty and actually kind of soiled. like i want to clean my mind out after an hour or so of it. theres also something kind of boring about the gangsta shit content too. like, where before you would hear willie d or eazy e or whoever with a certain juvenille glee/will to outrage, now it just sounds sort of humorless and just grindingly par for the course. could just be nostalgia talking there though.

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

Charlie Sloth played this on his show on Wednesday, when it was really, really hot. Had me nodding.

Funny thing is this is DJ Spinz, who's central to the 'futuristic'/swag rap of Atlanta, so this is less an R&Bass record and more of a ATL record, but this is still valid b/c Future & Rae are also big hitmakers so its a logical attempt at banger fishing. But its his maybe... 4th attempt to pick up a hit since Paranoid? *sigh*

tomfun

I have been playing a lot of commercial hip hop/r&b gigs recently and it is almost impossible to get away from DJ Mustard beats, it seems to be there are like two styles that kill it right now, the 90bpm-105bpm mustard sounding beats and then the half tempo 50bpm-70bpm stuff like BBHMM, Coco etc.

Mustard beats are more palatable for the casual listener it seems.

There was amix a while ago that paired Mustard beats with classic r&b acapellas from the 90s or something, i am sure i had it somewhere, but i can't find it now.

ANyone got a link?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
re: vacuous, sexist, nasty lyrics

This is probably a fucked up argument but I actually think this style of music demands those kind of lyrics. A 'conscious' Mustard song wouldn't make sense somehow. It's like G-Funk in that and other respects - its music to bring out your inner ignoramus. Or, to put it another way, its quite adolescent music: all shiny and bubblegummy and simultaneously testosterone fuelled. And obviously the snap of the beat invites a pelvicular physical response. I was at some shows earlier this year where Mustard was being mixed in with Dancehall and I think there's an obvious affinity between the two sounds.

Not saying that these lyrics are EXCUSABLE, although being a liberal and rap fan I'm constantly set on toleration mode.

CrowleyHead

See, that's not actually it at all.

The lyrical expanse is occuring. Tinashe's album concerns a lot more than just partying and turning up, TY$ has written on his singles and his tapes/EPs about greater material than the sleaze. They just aren't always on this production for the artists, but they happen.

Take the full length version of Tinashe Checks In from the Mustard album.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tBMJrz-owDg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There's obviously a lot of the same symbols and signifyers of ratchet; but its also Mustard experimenting with a more G-Funk/Trad R&B sound, and also Tinashe taking a tragic take on failed romance. You got the Mila J song I linked to which is all about female solidarity, or the Bobby Brackins song which is about music in general and essentially has nothing to do with sexuality.

Saying this stuff is just straight up party misogyny is a gross reduction of the artists working here, the same way we know dancehall is INFINITELY more expansive than its crudeness.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Totally accept that rebuttal. Most of the Mustard stuff I've heard which I like is about fucking, but I'm sure there's a wider range of topics out there.

CrowleyHead

Honestly not his best, my personal favorites were "KILT" (overlong but adventurous) and "Stoopid" w/ Jay Ant (most concise and fleshed out stuff). He's so inane these days, and honestly Sage The Gemini killed all these kids once he joined their team he's so much higher in quality as a rapper and producer.

luka

i wouldnt listen to it again but i didnt offend me, it was just there. felt like there wasnt much to engage with.

luka

listened to a few things like that yesterday. quick once over of vince staples too cos i liked his westwood appearance.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
New Mustard >>>

DJ_Mustard_10_Summers-front-large.jpg

http://www.datpiff.com/DJ-Mustard-10-Summers-mixtape.724373.html

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
so according to al shipley, Mustard didn't have that big a year, his most ubiquitous hits actually having come out in 2014... is this true? Is this interesting?

I was just thinking that deep tech arguably came out of, or at least accorded with, the lex luger trap sound, and obviously that "Trap" genre (Baauer et al) came out of that too, but has anything come out of this mustard stuff? I guess you can't really do better than mustard (and co) themselves.