"Ratchet" / R&Bass / DJ Mustard

CrowleyHead

Genre-field wise, sure. Some of the biggest hits weren't actually Mustard himself like Jidenna's "Classic Man" or the Iggy Azalea record obv.

The big problem is that a lot of the documentation of this field that needed to be done outside of rap or even in rap never happened. You can't build hype and interest if someone doesn't point it out. Plenty of west coast material was coming out from the rappers who play with this scene in both the bay and LA.

I mean, I hate this record but...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_WRhbnN2ckY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Decent Pop/R&B hit by Nic-Nac, who I've talked about here. Charted but I didn't see a lot of discussion about it. Production wise its still a slumper with those jarring bells tied to the bass-kick pattern.

And check him out on the Chris Brown album.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YU7KIqPghZs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also a lot of P-Lo on the Nef the Pharaoh EP so while scoring big chart hits for Mustard himself has been difficult, the collective movement around these beats and this style still exists and I gotta put a pin in the "Mustard's over = Ratchet's over" movement, b/c as I said before its a lot bigger than Mustard.

And as far as the hits not staying on the rise, the scene got saturated pretty quick by rappers smelling a trend, which happens. I mean, 2 Chainz "I'm Different" was back in 2012, and that's one of the earliest Mustard hits. In 3 years, your sound can def. lose luster in the bigger public eye.

said

so according to al shipley, Mustard didn't have that big a year, his most ubiquitous hits actually having come out in 2014... is this true? Is this interesting?

I was just thinking that deep tech arguably came out of, or at least accorded with, the lex luger trap sound, and obviously that "Trap" genre (Baauer et al) came out of that too, but has anything come out of this mustard stuff? I guess you can't really do better than mustard (and co) themselves.

i was just thinking how often the deep tech sound palette or w/e crosses into ratchety territory...

e.g. the bassline and lead interplay on this:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The Kid Ink album that came out last week is exec produced by Mustard. Kid Ink is a nonentity, and all the songs are samey, but individually they would all rock parties. Best track on it is the one with Fetty Wap; I hope him and Mustard do some more music in 2016.

There's also some Jack U style vocal science over carribean rhythms on here, the latter which I guess Jack U jacked off Mustard et al in the first place. But interesting to hear that intersection of ratchet and EDM.