Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: The droned and the saved

I have another unpublished mix, hot from the basement - anyone want it?

01. Inchoate Antichrist Intro
    02. Vangelis - Creation Du Monde - L'Apocalypse Des Animaux - Polydor (1973)
    03. France Jobin and Stephan Mathieu - The Answer V - Radiance II: Music For The Answer - Schwebung (2016)
    04. Brian Eno & Peter Schwalm - Like Pictures Part #1 - Drawn From Life - Opal Records (2001)
    05. Anthony Child - Caught Dreaming In A Perfect Past - You Have Already Surrendered Your Total Will - Frequency Domain (2016)
    06. Ariel Kalma - Open Like a Flute - Open Like a Flute - Astral Muse (1982)
    07. Celer - Strong, Exhilarating Effects - Climbing Formation - Entropy Records (2013)
    08. Roger Winfield - Windsong 1 - Windsongs: The Sound Of Aeolian Harps - Saydisc ‎(1991)
    09. Gregg Kowalsky - Ashes From Evermore - Through The Cardial Window - Kranky (2006)
    10. William Basinski - A Shadow in Time - A Shadow in Time - Temporary Residence Limited (2017)
    11. Tongues Of Light - Awakening Side - Channelled Messages At The End Of History - Pre-Cert Home Entertainment (2016)
    12. Steve Peters + Steve Roden - Two Or Three Fireflies - Not A Leaf Remains As It Was - 12k (2012)
    13. Prisoner of Consciousness - A Tribute to Clive Wearing
    14. Kyle Bobby Dunn - Sets of Four (Its Meaning Is Deeper Than Its Title Implies) - A Young Person's Guide To Kyle Bobby Dunn - Low Point (2010)
    15. Abbess Hildegard Of Bingen, Emma Kirkby, Christopher Page - Hildegard: O Euchari - A Feather On The Breath Of God - Hyperion (1982)
    16. Windy & Carl - I Have Been Waiting to Hear Your Voice - The Dream House / Dedications To Flea - Kranky (2005)
    17. Stuart Dempster - Shell Shock – Underground Overlays From The Cistern Chapel - New Albion (1995)
    18. Pauline Oliveros, Stuart Dempster, Panaiotis ‎- Ione - Deep Listening - New Albion (1989)
    19. Kyle Bobby Dunn - Boring Foothills of Foot Fetishville - Kyle Bobby Dunn & The Infinite Sadness - Students Of Decay (2014)
    20. Satoshi Ashikawa - Still Sky - Wave Notation 2 - Sound Process (1982)
    21. Oöphoi - Floating Through The Gates Of Time - Static Soundscapes: Three Lights At The End Of The World - Hic Sunt Leones (1996)
    22. Duane Pitre - Mvmt IV. Koan - Origin - Root Strata (2010)
    23. Eliane Radigue - Jetsun Mila, Pt. 2 - Jetsun Mila - Lovely Music (1986/2007)
    24. Duane Pitre - The Healer - The Seeker And The Healer - Students Of Decay (2014)
    25. Phil Niblock - A Third Trombone - A Young Person's Guide To Phill Niblock - Blast First (1995)
    26. Stars of the Lid - A Lovesong (For Cubs)+, Part 2 - Stars of the Lid - A Lovesong (For Cubs) - Kranky (2001)
    27. France Jobin and Stephan Mathieu - The Answer I - Radiance II: Music For The Answer - Schwebung (2016)
    28. Celer - The Carved God Is Gone; Waking Above The Pileus Clouds - Discourses of the Withered - Infraction (2008)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

Exclusive.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1...VpOWThmNkhFVTA

Particularly good melange of ambient piano, medieval religious singing, post rock guitar and tragic cut up documentary at about 28 mins.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

7. The Following User Says Thank You to m99188868 For This Useful Post:

The mix above has now been published if anyone's interested: https://www.mixcloud.com/noplacelike...tral-geomancy/

9. The Following User Says Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

Just came across this on YT. Dunno if it's 'drone' exactly, but ambient certainly, very nice, don't think it's been posted here yet.

Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Down in the studio again last night working on a new mix. Went full hippie. Crystals and everything

Its OK, we live on the slope, in little hollows winnowed from the dirt.

Tracklist for the next mix...

01 Chris Watson - Veracruz - El Tren Fantasma - Touch (2011)
    02. Robert Slap/David Naegele - Flutes of the Vortex - Sedona: The Psychic Vortex Experience - Valley Of The Sun (1986)
    03. Richard Skelton - Green Withins Brook - Landings - Type (2009)
    04. Gregg Kowalsky - X-XI - Tape Chants - Kranky (2009)
    05. Félicia Atkinson - Valis - Hand In Hand - Shelter Press (2017)
    06. Ekin Fil - Timesickness - Being Near - Helen Scarsdale Agency (2016)
    07. Yoshio Ojima - Market - Une Collection Des Chainons II: Music For Spiral - Wacoal Art Center/Newsic (1989)
    08. Marifa - Tariqat - Nafs - Not on Label (2016)
    09. Janek Schaefer - Unfolding Honey - Unfolding Luxury beyond the City of Dreams - Dekorder (2014)
    10. Sarah Davachi - Tiergarten - Barons Court - Students Of Decay (2015)
    11. RVNES - REST - REST / RELIEF - Not on Label (2014)
    12. Hallock Hill - Pencil Spin - The Union - Hundred Acre Recording, (2011)
    13. Steve Hillage - Garden Of Paradise - Rainbow Dome Musick - Virgin (1979)
    14. Aino Tytti - Fronte Precipitium - Fronte Preciptitium/Tergo Lupi Digitalis Limited (2010)
    15. Judith Trip - Li Sun - I Am The Center: Private Issue New Age Music In America, 1950 - 1990 Light In The Attic (2013)
    16. Olivia Block - Aberration of Light - Aberration of Light - NNA Tapes (2015)
    17. NPLD - Freeman’s Lament
    18. Celer - Bereft Oversight - Continents - Not on Label CDR (2006)
    19. Kevin Drumm - Gradual Extinction - Tannenbaum - Hospital Productions (2013)
    20. Loscil - Charlie - Plume Kranky (2006)
    21. Laraaji - Sun Zither - Celestial Music 1978-2011 - All Saints (1984/2014)
    22. Olivier Alary - Autodrome - Fiction / Non-Fiction - 130701 (2017)
    23. Arash Akbar - Falling - Absence: A Compilation of Iranian Experimental Music - Flaming Pines (2016)
    24. 3x2 (Exit) - Aix Em Klemm - Aix Em Klemm - Kranky (2000)
    25. Basic House - L-Wave & Comb - Oats - Alter (2013)
    26. Steve Halpern - Rainbows of Life - Spectrum Suite - SRI (1976)
    27. Dino Spiluttini - Learn 2 Love - To Be a Beast - Cut Surface (2017)
    28. Ali Wade - Imago - Partials Vol. 1 Frequency Domain (2017)
    29. Robert Fripp & Brian Eno - Wind on Water - Air Structures, Live in Paris 1974 - The Impossible Recordworks (1978)
    Last edited by droid; 31-10-2017 at 05:12 PM.

I was at a drone/ambient gig on Saturday. Sunken Foal and Donnacha Costello in the Unitarian Church in Dublin. The former was great, melodic electronic, mostly song based ambient, but the latter was full on hardcore drone. Costello is a minimal techno bod who's done stuff for raster noton and is generally held in high regard. This show was based on his Mouvement album, and had really interesting visuals - a large black rectangle taking up 70% of the screen with subtle gradient changes around its edges. An eclipse or occlusion. Aurally it was synth based drone with a bit of field recordings - somewhere between Anthony Childs and Eliane Radigue.

You dont get to see quite this level of drone very often, so it was interesting to be in an audience, in the dark, in a church staring at a mostly black rectangle with the kind super intense experience that you get from focussed listening to drone at high volume. I was struck by the decadent austerity of it... the dearth of functionality in the music & thoughts of the dissolute society which would allow this kind of ritual to take place - in contrast to the starkness of the content of the music itself. It was like a scene from a dystopian 70's sci fi film illustrating some godless alien future or a Ballardian cult meeting.

Fundamentally though the biggest impact was in terms of intensity. Confirmed a lot of things Ive been thinking about for years. The aural ganzfeld effect is a real phenomenon and it's a potent force. Also, its torture to subject people to thoses kind of extreme sensations without comfortable surroundings - so if going to a sit down 'performance' ambient gig - bring a pillow. I learnt my lesson last time.

Anyway, buy the record, its really good:

https://donnachacostello.bandcamp.com/track/mouvement-i
    Last edited by droid; 02-11-2017 at 02:39 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

I have a master of the mix above if anyone wants it. Also collated a list of effects processing gear:

Mutable Instruments Clouds: Granular audio processor/Texture Synthesiser
    Intellijel Rainmaker: 16-tap stereo spectral rhythm delay and comb resonator
    Ornament and Crime: Polymorphic CV generator
    Make Noise Maths: Analog computer
    MFB dual LFO
    Mutable Instruments: Tidal modulator
    Bastl Cinnamon: Voltage controlled state variable filter
    Mutable Instruments Warps
    Nord Micro Modular
    Eventide H9 Harmoniser: Multi effect processor
    Strymon BigSky: Multidimensional reverb
    Ableton Live

18. The Following User Says Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

Went to see Sarah Davachi last night. Gig was in a small museum with about 80-100 people seated in candlelight. She played an unusually minimal 40 min set, one very droney piece with a hint of strings, shifting between frequencies and overtones. All analog electronics but with a slight organic tone. I forgot my cushion, but almost drifted away anyway. The experience was compromised by the sound setup - all the speakers were to the right of the audience, so it lacked the required immersiveness.

There was a chat beforehand with a... ...verbose interlocutor and the night was sponsored by a wine company, so there was a wine and cheese reception beforehand. She came across as sound, if a bit academic, but the cheese let the whole thing down.

you have a trusty gig cushion, do you?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Leo For This Useful Post:

I go to a fair amount of 'serious' ambient type gigs and one of my main bugbears is the total lack of comfort.

So yes, I have a cushion, and am contemplating a beanbag. The ultimate aim is to hammock.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to droid For This Useful Post: