The droned and the saved

wise

bare BARE BONES
Saw him with Helm in a church doing the disintegration loops. Didn't really get on with it.

Maybe I was just in a funny mood that night.

How does he 'do' the Disintegration Loops?
I thought the whole point was that they disintegrated

martin

----
Please tell me there's a 'Drone Committee' whose members send anonymous threats to 'dronists' who don't just hold down a key for 2 hours.

I guess this bloke isn't a REAL dronist, but this one's pretty ace:

From the most underrated United Dairies release:

Leo

dream02.jpg

interesting timing for this thread, the dia foundation just opened a new location for la monte young's nyc dream house in chelsea. i think the original tribeca location still exists but is temporarily closed.

http://www.melafoundation.org
http://bedfordandbowery.com/2015/05...te-young-drones-on-about-his-new-dream-house/

spent an hour there this afternoon, very cool, really worth doing if in nyc this summer. huge warehouse-size room with thickly carpeted floor, low neon-ish lighting and five covered speaker stacks emitting loud drones. the sound changes as you turn your head, even slightly. they make you take off your shoes and you can lay down on the plush carpet and zone out. no photos allowed but i managed to sneak a few videos on my phone to catch the sound. best part was going on a summer friday afternoon and being the only person there for most of the hour.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
How does he 'do' the Disintegration Loops?
I thought the whole point was that they disintegrated

We put him on a long time ago at the Horse Hospital playing on the first anniversary of 9/11, he mixed and performed work on a laptop, he was excellent. Lit by the glow of the laptop, he appeared to progressively get younger and younger as the night progressed, as if the music was performing a Dorian Grey on him, it was wonderful.

bruno

est malade
also famously youthful was conrad schnitzler, when i wrote to him the reply was immediate and thorough, you could not imagine a more vital person at seventy-something. age does not always dull the creative process (in some cases quite the contrary).

droid

Please tell me there's a 'Drone Committee' whose members send anonymous threats to 'dronists' who don't just hold down a key for 2 hours.

I guess this bloke isn't a REAL dronist, but this one's pretty ace:

From the most underrated United Dairies release:

These are great. thanks.

Found some nice 2014 ambient/drone mixes on YT

droid

If there isn't a drone committee it should be invented. I definitely have one in my head anyway. Like the troika of musical economy - always demanding more austerity.

droid

Taking that mix down today, so if anyone wants it, grab it now.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
As I'm sure many have seen already, Basinski's playing in London in September - looking forward to seeing how his music translates live, given the mixed reactions on his thread...

droid

Playing a 4-6 hour drone/ambient set in the chill out tent of Ireland's most middle class festival next month. Temptation to Wyatt is immense.

droid

Ryosuke Miyata droney field recordings

Too much drone to keep up with. Its everywhere.

droid

So, we played 6 hours of drone, experimental and ambient at electric picnic - Ireland's premier fancy-pants music festival. We were in a half-tent type thing within the main festival in (one of) the alternative/chill out new agey areas.

Crystallised a few things Ive been thinking about for a while in terms of performance of this kind of music - that the best audience isn't the seated arty serious types, but the mashed up on drugs types who just want somewhere to lie down - and we had about 60 of them prone in front of us at one stage - probably would've had more except it was pretty cold and there was no heating and no promised bean bags or cushions. Got pretty intense at times, some full on stuff, and people kept coming in and asking us what we'd done to the crowd. 'Are they dead'? 'Have you killed them'?

Made me think about the perfect environment for this kind of thing - and Ive decided - its the opium den. Everyone in a nice warm alcove, pipe in hand, tea and refreshments being served.

Also considering a drone barge. Just wander the waterways of continental Europe blasting drone out of huge speakers as you crawl across the countryside. Towns and villages could pay you to go away.

COHFT6_WcAAffbW.jpg:large

Last edited: