Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 108

Thread: The droned and the saved

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Fear - Dublin
    Posts
    5,785

    Default The droned and the saved

    One of those annoying threads where no one really says anything but instead fills every post with youtube embeds so it takes ages to load.

    Yknow those?

    I thought we needed one for drone.

    http://www.self-titledmag.com/2012/0...drone-records/


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Fear - Dublin
    Posts
    5,785

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North East London
    Posts
    5,207

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North East London
    Posts
    5,207

    Default

    Helm's favourite drone records
    http://www.self-titledmag.com/2012/0...drone-records/

    Oh you posted that already.

    I've seen Helm live a couple of times and it's only ever really worked for me once. He seems like a nice young man though.

    That list looks good, the Faraway Press stuff I keep meaning to check out (as well as later Jackman/Organum).

    This David Keenan UK drone feature is good too:
    http://daily.redbullmusicacademy.com...-drone-feature
    Last edited by john eden; 15-06-2015 at 04:54 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    33°23'S, 70°47'W
    Posts
    1,276

    Default

    thank you droid for the list and the mathieu embed.

    the ian william craig record (almost the only thing i recognise on that list) i is beautiful, craig's vocals put through who knows what processes, a very unique record (unfortunately sold out).

    an old recommendation: the early jliat cds ca. 1997 (the nature of nature, etc.), very deep synth-based drones that take up the 76-79 minutes of the cd.

    other drone favourites are the recordings of abandoned telegraph wires by alan lamb on dorobo ca. 1995, and the vlf recordings on irdial (that i'm not sure count as drones, but are fascinating).

    very old: artemiev's work on stalker

    finally, a recent find is the ariel kalma retrospective on rvng, some pieces on the second side (i'm not sure old or new) are very hypnotic vocal/looping type stuff that would not be out of place here.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North East London
    Posts
    5,207

    Default

    This reminded me of Ben Watson's amusing and surprising position on drones from his excellent Derek Bailey biography:

    "A drone has a very different emotional resonance to either the urgent chord sequences of jazz or the electricity dependent feedback of rock: it tends towards folkish melancholy, regret and nostalgia for everything modernity has destroyed. In trained musicians (who are really, after all, superannuated craftspersons from a previous mode of musical reproduction), it brings out a latent conservatism. Moreover the large space necessary for so many musicians recording together at a single place and time results in 'classical' blurring of player individuality, an acoustic blend whose symphonic aura is the very opposite of the in-your-face immediacy of jazz and rock records..."

    https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...ley%22&f=false

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to john eden For This Useful Post:


  8. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Fear - Dublin
    Posts
    5,785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by john eden View Post
    Helm's favourite drone records
    http://www.self-titledmag.com/2012/0...drone-records/

    Oh you posted that already.

    I've seen Helm live a couple of times and it's only ever really worked for me once. He seems like a nice young man though.

    That list looks good, the Faraway Press stuff I keep meaning to check out (as well as later Jackman/Organum).

    This David Keenan UK drone feature is good too:
    http://daily.redbullmusicacademy.com...-drone-feature
    I dont know anything at all about Helm, but he sounds like he knows his stuff.

    Two fascinating things about drone for me: 1) The wide scope of the genre, ranging back to 50's and 60's electronic experimentalism, the peripheries of Jazz and 'world' music, and then on through noise, ambient, post punk weirdness and new electronica & post-rock from the 90's on, and 2) The experience of listening and the textural sensitivity evoked... it's like reducing a palette down to one colour and exploring tiny variations in shade and tone, or being stuck in the pitch black out in the country somewhere and your vision gradually adjusting until you can almost make out faint shapes in the darkness.

    Drone is a feeling.

    This guy is always near the top of any list:



    Big fan of this guys stuff as 'mirror'. Solo work is immense:



    Speaking of post punk weirdness - this always reminds me of Organum:

    Last edited by droid; 16-06-2015 at 12:32 PM.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Fear - Dublin
    Posts
    5,785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bruno View Post
    thank you droid for the list and the mathieu embed.

    the ian william craig record (almost the only thing i recognise on that list) i is beautiful, craig's vocals put through who knows what processes, a very unique record (unfortunately sold out).

    an old recommendation: the early jliat cds ca. 1997 (the nature of nature, etc.), very deep synth-based drones that take up the 76-79 minutes of the cd.

    other drone favourites are the recordings of abandoned telegraph wires by alan lamb on dorobo ca. 1995, and the vlf recordings on irdial (that i'm not sure count as drones, but are fascinating).

    very old: artemiev's work on stalker

    finally, a recent find is the ariel kalma retrospective on rvng, some pieces on the second side (i'm not sure old or new) are very hypnotic vocal/looping type stuff that would not be out of place here.
    Yeah, Im a big fan of that Ian William Craig record.

    Loads of crossover with soundtracks... Under the Skin probably the most recent great white hope for weirdo OST's.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Fear - Dublin
    Posts
    5,785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by john eden View Post
    This reminded me of Ben Watson's amusing and surprising position on drones from his excellent Derek Bailey biography:

    "A drone has a very different emotional resonance to either the urgent chord sequences of jazz or the electricity dependent feedback of rock: it tends towards folkish melancholy, regret and nostalgia for everything modernity has destroyed. In trained musicians (who are really, after all, superannuated craftspersons from a previous mode of musical reproduction), it brings out a latent conservatism. Moreover the large space necessary for so many musicians recording together at a single place and time results in 'classical' blurring of player individuality, an acoustic blend whose symphonic aura is the very opposite of the in-your-face immediacy of jazz and rock records..."

    https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...ley%22&f=false
    Nice. Must give that a read. Melancholy, regret and nostalgia... not great selling points, but completely accurate.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Fear - Dublin
    Posts
    5,785

    Default

    Fuck it. For a limited time only:

    [EDIT - Time's up]
    Last edited by droid; 18-08-2015 at 10:15 AM.

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Fear - Dublin
    Posts
    5,785

    Default

    Not to overlook the krautrock angle:


  13. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    ottawa
    Posts
    2,936

    Default

    Thanks, Droid

    Thomas Köner's Nunatak/Teimo/Permafrost triptych is a favourite of mine. Weighty polar scapes derived from contact mic recordings of gongs...



    Also, very keen on Eleh's "intuitive synthesis" and waveform "homages"...
    https://boomkat.com/cds/445878-eleh-...tive-synthesis
    https://boomkat.com/downloads/1230164-eleh-homage

    Along those lines, here's this again:



    Vibration Sympathique

    Demdike Stare 'Suspicious Drone' (Modern Love)
    Bass Communion 'Ghosts on Magnetic Tape III' Original/Reconstruction (Headphone Dust)
    The Ghost Orchid: An Introduction to EVP (Parapsychic Acoustic Research Cooperative)
    Thomas Köner 'Permafrost' and 'Nieve Penitentes 2' (Barooni/Type)
    Ruth White 'Mists and Rains'
    Eleh 'Together We Are One' (Taiga)
    Nate Young 'Under the Skin' (iDeal Recordings)
    Sunn o))) 'Sin Nanna' (Southern Lord)
    Christian Fennesz plays Charles Matthews 'Amoroso' (Touch)
    BJNilsen 'La Petite Chapelle - Rue Basses' (Touch)

    Blog and DL: http://www.deeptime.net/blog/?p=716
    Streaming: https://www.mixcloud.com/pauljasen/v...n-sympathique/

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Hoboken
    Posts
    2,886

    Default


    interesting timing for this thread, the dia foundation just opened a new location for la monte young's nyc dream house in chelsea. i think the original tribeca location still exists but is temporarily closed.

    http://www.melafoundation.org
    http://bedfordandbowery.com/2015/05/...w-dream-house/

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    ottawa
    Posts
    2,936

  16. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Fear - Dublin
    Posts
    5,785

    Default

    Love Basinski obviously. He's in a nebulous area between ambient and drone for me though, more serialist than sustained tone minimalist.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •