Marrakech

IdleRich

IdleRich
Going to Marrakech - a quick google suggests that records are unlikely (though happy to be proven wrong on that one) but please recommend anything good to do - restaurants, bard, opium etc - and anything bad to avoid. Thanks in advance.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Went a couple of years ago.

Obvious tourist stuff - Saadian Tombs, Medersa Ben Yousef, Bahia Palace - was all good. Go early to the tombs to avoid the crowds.

Jemaa el-Fnaa is a bit underwhelming during the day, but fairly amazing at night when the traditional storytellers and musicians get going. There's a start / stop / ask for money routine that's pretty incomprehensible to an outsider, though. Carry loads of spare dirhans to chuck in the appropriate hats.

The low-grade background hassle / hustle gets a bit wearing after a while.

bruno

est malade
idea: pitch robbe-grillet documentary to arte, secure funds + equipment, re-enact key éden/n scenes with local catherine jourdan stand-in who will double as tour guide, splice with local footage into surreal mess, screen at —, use newfound cachet to make more films. bon voyage!

IdleRich

IdleRich
I think I've left it a bit late for that Bruno unfortunately. Good plan otherwise.
Anyone been to Essaouria or whatever it's called? I'm thinking to check that out for maybe a few days.

sufi

lala
I've been to Essouira from Marrakech, it's an easy bus ride and worth it for an overnight stay and some lovely seafood. I couldn't really recommend any actual spots in either town, just mooching about and soak up the atmosphere

benw

i went to essouara last january, spent 1 night in marrakech and left in the am as it was too hectic for me. ess was much nicer. bought some nice cds in a shop there, but no records

theres a rooftop bar which has djs on it and serves alcohol (not everywhere does) - a quick google should find it) and also a very nice restaurant which bizzarrely has an in house magician, again i guess a google would find it

edit i did the googling for you :)

taros rooftop bar http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restau...aouira_Marrakech_Tensift_El_Haouz_Region.html

i think this was the resto

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restau...aouira_Marrakech_Tensift_El_Haouz_Region.html

Last edited: