Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: REWRITE the school CURRICULUM

A thoroughgoing exegesis of the lyrics to Pink Floyd's The Wall.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Be nice to get a serious answer if anyone feels like exerting themselves

wish I was joking - it's hard to imagine a future that needs people who've read Tolstoy and Proust.

I'll have to do it myself. When I get a chance

Some other tools are a bit sillier. The Emotional Labor browser extension, built by New York City writer Joanne McNeil, will embellish emails with exclamation points, smiley faces and affectionate words – a spoonful of linguistic sugar added with a single click. Distracted men can download the BroApp, a program that automatically sends their girlfriends boilerplate texts like “Hey babe, how was your day?” and “Miss you”.
    Kill me.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Be nice to get a serious answer if anyone feels like exerting themselves
    sheesh! is that the gratitude everyone gets for replying to your thread... shocking rudeness.

i was being deadly, deadly serious. i would have added taking exercise (like glacial) except there already is a class for that called PE.

Yeah so did Jenkins but i need 10,000 words plus

And me starting threads is a public service

I'm pretty sure all you ever need to know in Home Ec is "you can never have too much kitchen roll". That would have been more useful than anything else I ever learnt in Home Ec, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    i need 10,000 words plus
    http://www.lrb.co.uk/v37/n09/jenny-t...-under-control
    replete w pathetic letter of rebuttal from the odious toby young

Quote Originally Posted by sufi View Post
    One school near where I live in South-East London has an intake of British, African, African-Caribbean, European and Asian children: it put up an enormous Union flag mural, with ‘Democracy, the Great British Value’, emblazoned on it, the ‘V’ of Value done as a tick.
    Ugh, it sounds like a fucking Tesco advert.

I could quite happily go the rest of my life without hearing or reading one more thing described as "Great British". It's invariably something shit.

Quote Originally Posted by sufi View Post
    That was a cracking piece - first time I read something in the public domain about education that actually felt like the writer actually had a real idea about what is really going on. The Toby Young letter was awful, specious nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Ugh, it sounds like a fucking Tesco advert.

I could quite happily go the rest of my life without hearing or reading one more thing described as "Great British". It's invariably something shit.
    Part of OFSTED - promotion of British Values - many schools genuinely spending thousands on gurus coming telling them how to demonstrate this to the inspectors. I spent over an hour in a meeting where they seriously debated this - I was asked to stop with my facetious comments.

teaching a critical perspective of domestic history would be a good idea
    then perhaps the next generation wouldn't potter about so apolitcially wearing keep calm and carry on aprons giggling over pimms and cupcakes and vacuous replicant popstars like ed sheeran