REWRITE the school CURRICULUM

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

Some other tools are a bit sillier. The Emotional Labor browser extension, built by New York City writer Joanne McNeil, will embellish emails with exclamation points, smiley faces and affectionate words – a spoonful of linguistic sugar added with a single click. Distracted men can download the BroApp, a program that automatically sends their girlfriends boilerplate texts like “Hey babe, how was your day?” and “Miss you”.

Kill me.

Woebot

Be nice to get a serious answer if anyone feels like exerting themselves

sheesh! is that the gratitude everyone gets for replying to your thread... shocking rudeness.

i was being deadly, deadly serious. i would have added taking exercise (like glacial) except there already is a class for that called PE.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm pretty sure all you ever need to know in Home Ec is "you can never have too much kitchen roll". That would have been more useful than anything else I ever learnt in Home Ec, probably.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
http://www.lrb.co.uk/v37/n09/jenny-turner/barely-under-control
replete w pathetic letter of rebuttal from the odious toby young

One school near where I live in South-East London has an intake of British, African, African-Caribbean, European and Asian children: it put up an enormous Union flag mural, with ‘Democracy, the Great British Value’, emblazoned on it, the ‘V’ of Value done as a tick.

Ugh, it sounds like a fucking Tesco advert.

I could quite happily go the rest of my life without hearing or reading one more thing described as "Great British". It's invariably something shit.

jenks

thread death
Ugh, it sounds like a fucking Tesco advert.

I could quite happily go the rest of my life without hearing or reading one more thing described as "Great British". It's invariably something shit.

Part of OFSTED - promotion of British Values - many schools genuinely spending thousands on gurus coming telling them how to demonstrate this to the inspectors. I spent over an hour in a meeting where they seriously debated this - I was asked to stop with my facetious comments.

you

teaching a critical perspective of domestic history would be a good idea
then perhaps the next generation wouldn't potter about so apolitcially wearing keep calm and carry on aprons giggling over pimms and cupcakes and vacuous replicant popstars like ed sheeran

IdleRich

IdleRich
I have become a teacher over the last few years. Recently we've started getting these Prevent guys coming in and telling us how to spot extremism - of any sort but we know what they're on about right? Those meetings always get pretty heated.

you

I have become a teacher over the last few years. Recently we've started getting these Prevent guys coming in and telling us how to spot extremism - of any sort but we know what they're on about right? Those meetings always get pretty heated.

It's your job to spot extremists? I thought the UK employed toffs around westminster for that. Tip - Burzum badges are a dead giveaway.

vimothy

yurp
These things should be understood dialectically. The wishy-washy left-liberal tendency that gave us a disparate population without common institutions, and the wishy-washy right-liberals who are ineptly responding to it with farcical admonitions about "British values", are two parts of the same process.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"It's your job to spot extremists? I thought the UK employed toffs around westminster for that. Tip - Burzum badges are a dead giveaway."
Kinda. I don't think there are any though so it's not too onerous. Or maybe that just means I'm not doing my job.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Part of OFSTED - promotion of British Values - many schools genuinely spending thousands on gurus coming telling them how to demonstrate this to the inspectors. I spent over an hour in a meeting where they seriously debated this - I was asked to stop with my facetious comments.

Sounds like you deserve a medal for resisting the urge to commit murder and/or suicide, never mind facetious comments.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I like the idea of a jackbooted anti-extremism officer, with mad, staring eyes, a very small, neat moustache and a permanent muscle tic under one eye, marching into classrooms and dragging away for compulsory re-education any student (or teacher, for that matter) who looks like they might be at risk of extremism.

you

Tea - I doubt anything so concrete would be put in place. Clear objectives and job responsibilities are not in vogue.

It would more likely be a case of some well meaning and over worked teacher mentioning a student's comments in passing to another teacher in a social context (like over lunch or having a coffee between meetings after school). Then the dominos of gossip would fall at the feet some over ambitious and passive aggressive deputy head or 'manager' who would then pseudo-socially and covertly harangue the teacher into pursuing the reporting of the child. Power aint badges and boots, it is soft skills and emotive pressure.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
These things should be understood dialectically. The wishy-washy left-liberal tendency that gave us a disparate population without common institutions, and the wishy-washy right-liberals who are ineptly responding to it with farcical admonitions about "British values", are two parts of the same process.

And what's funny is that "tolerance" invariably features high up on the list of these much-vaunted British Values:

David Cameron said:
For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens: as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone...This Government will conclusively turn the page on this failed approach.

We will not tolerate people who will not tolerate our attempts to force them to be tolerant!

droid

Tea - I doubt anything so concrete would be put in place. Clear objectives and job responsibilities are not in vogue.

It would more likely be a case of some well meaning and over worked teacher mentioning a student's comments in passing to another teacher in a social context (like over lunch or having a coffee between meetings after school). Then the dominos of gossip would fall at the feet some over ambitious and passive aggressive deputy head or 'manager' who would then pseudo-socially and covertly harangue the teacher into pursuing the reporting of the child. Power aint badges and boots, it is soft skills and emotive pressure.

I predict extremist quotas within 5 years. If you dont send at least 14 teenagers into internment every year you get your budget cut.