REWRITE the school CURRICULUM

you

I predict extremist quotas within 5 years. If you dont send at least 14 teenagers into internment every year you get your budget cut.

You only see quotas and targets imposed with myopic ruthlessness in the public sector. The education system is deteriorating into constellations of privately funded academies.
I can imagine the opposite of what you say occurring.
A set of private interests will be lead by PR and reputation anxiety to hide major social or religious differences being challenges.

Also - isn't the Prevent Strategy all a bit minority report/thought-crime etc? Extremism itself isn't an offence. Crime such as terrorism is. There is nothing wrong with a belief so long as the kids don't go trudging through the snow burning churches to spread their belief.. y'know... So if Prevent is targetting beliefs then for me it's wrong. If it is targetting crime pre-emptively (based on opinion or subjective observation) then that too is wrong.

droid

You only see quotas and targets imposed with myopic ruthlessness in the public sector. The education system is deteriorating into constellations of privately funded academies.
I can imagine the opposite of what you say occurring.
A set of private interests will be lead by PR and reputation anxiety to hide major social or religious differences being challenges.

Also - isn't the Prevent Strategy all a bit minority report/thought-crime etc? Extremism itself isn't an offence. Crime such as terrorism is. There is nothing wrong with a belief so long as the kids don't go trudging through the snow burning churches to spread their belief.. y'know... So if Prevent is targetting beliefs then for me it's wrong. If it is targetting crime pre-emptively (based on opinion or subjective observation) then that too is wrong.

Yes, it is wrong, deeply wrong, which is why it will happen.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I guess the standard argument goes that propagating material that could make other people more likely to commit violence by encouragement, or facilitate their doing so, should in itself be a crime. Which is why it's illegal to sell guns in this country except under certain very strictly controlled circumstances, for instance.

Of course, what constitutes "material that could encourage someone to commit violence" is an incredibly vague and subjective notion, and could just as easily include all sorts of things that no-one would normally consider 'criminal', such as a news story.

Or even someone's face.

you

I guess the standard argument goes that propagating material that could make other people more likely to commit violence by encouragement, or facilitate their doing so, should in itself be a crime. Which is why it's illegal to sell guns in this country except under certain very strictly controlled circumstances, for instance.

Of course, what constitutes "material that could encourage someone to commit violence" is an incredibly vague and subjective notion, and could just as easily include all sorts of things that no-one would normally consider 'criminal', such as a news story.

Or even someone's face.

**starts online petition to remove Leviticus chapter from all UK state schools**

droid

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/fe...om-expression-uk-schools-150721080612049.html

London, UK - Schoolchildren in the UK who express support for Palestine face being questioned by police and referred to a counter-radicalisation programme for youngsters deemed at risk of being drawn into terrorism under new laws requiring teachers to monitor students for extremism.

One schoolboy told Al Jazeera he was accused of holding "terrorist-like" views by a police officer who questioned him for taking leaflets into school promoting a boycott of Israel.

The case reflects concerns raised about the expansion of the government's Preventcounter-extremism strategy into schools, with critics complaining that teachers are being expected to act as the "eyes and ears of the state".

luka

What I was getting at is that if you want democracy you must have an educated electorate that take their responsibilities as citizens seriously. The problem is that the world is now so complicated no one understands it. Nevertheless I think education should be geared towards making citizens, not scientists, doctors, footballers etc

sadmanbarty

I always thought it'd be good (in democratic terms at least) to have compulsory 'Reasoning' (for want of a better phrase) lessons.

Nothing too difficult, but combining very rudimentary logic, philosophy of science and statistics.

Students would be taught common logical fallacies, how statistics can be skewered/taken out of context and the principles of evidence-based, rational thought.

Of course this is all pie in the sky, but you can always dream.

jenks

thread death
Martin Robinson's Trivium in the 21st C is being heavily praised as a way of delivering some of the above:
https://headguruteacher.com/2014/01/17/trivium-21st-c-could-this-be-the-answer

Other methods/models which are currently be tried are the Michaela school and School 21, both free schools with wildly differing ideas. I'm not endorsing either but there are plenty of people out there trying to grapple with the idea of what school/education is for.
https://school21.org.uk/21st-century-approach
http://mcsbrent.co.uk/ethos/

firefinga

Doesn't matter what's in the curriculum, main thing is, throw smart phones and tablets at the kids, the sooner the better.

sadmanbarty

This is particularly boring suggestion, but after watching this, it dawned on me how much easier things would be for the left if people were taught about how government debt works: