Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vegan

I'm not quite sure why I'm posting in this thread as I'm neither vegetarian nor vegan and have no interest in becoming either, but it's interesting that Marmite should come up as I have a hunch that fungi could become more and more important as a global food source in the coming century. Does our resident techno-utopian HMGovt have an opinion on this?

Edit: still, like most people, I could and arguably should try to eat a bit less meat.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 08-01-2016 at 08:44 AM.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    I'm not quite sure why I'm posting in this thread as I'm neither vegetarian nor vegan and have no interest in becoming either, but it's interesting that Marmite should come up as I have a hunch that fungi could become more and more important as a global food source in the coming century. Does our resident techno-utopian HMGovt have an opinion on this?

Edit: still, like most people, I could and arguably should try to eat a bit less meat.
    Makes sense. Not only good to eat, useful for packaging too.

As featured on this excellent BBC4 doc (intro clip only, it's dropped off iplayer again)

PS

Last edited by HMGovt; 08-01-2016 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HMGovt View Post
    As featured on this excellent BBC4 doc (intro clip only, it's dropped off iplayer again)

[/IMG]
    Can't see this at work but I'm willing to bet it features Paul Stamets. That guy is a fucking don.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    But is Marmite "naturally occurring" full stop? And how about tofu? And Quorn? And soy milk? And...

A quick google suggests Marmite is fully vegan, since the B12 is itself derived from a yeast source. (So it's not plant-derived, but it's not animal-derived either.)
    an interesting point certainly mr tea. but we're talking about man's early evolution here though.

"A vitamin B12 deficiency is a serious disorder and indications of a deficiency of vitamin B12, when they do reach a stage where they have shown up, can be quite severe. Fatigue, paleness, anorexia, mental confusion, delusions, paranoia, weight loss, respiratory problems, etc. are just some indications that a person may have a B12-deficiency."
    hm! mental confusion!

Quote Originally Posted by Woebot View Post
    soya milk is definite no-no though
    Like any Irishman tea is perhaps my most important food group. What vegan alternative to cows milk is anywhere near good. Don't say almond milk.

Quote Originally Posted by Woebot View Post
    an interesting point certainly mr tea. but we're talking about man's early evolution here though.

hm! mental confusion!
    Well hang on, you just said "it's not naturally occurring" like that was a problem for vegans, which I took to mean you thought it came from an animal source.

Quote Originally Posted by owengriffiths View Post
    Like any Irishman tea is perhaps my most important food group. What vegan alternative to cows milk is anywhere near good. Don't say almond milk.
    I really liked the Vanilla Rice Dream 'milk', I can't remember if it was OK in tea though.

[obligatory 'Rice, Rice, baby!' gag]

I stuffed another fucking marrow today. Another let down, and believe me, the stuffing was exquisite. But it would have been better with rice, or some form of cooked potato. Is the marrow the most useless vegetable, or am I missing something? It just seems to be a lot of tasteless gunk that is awkward to eat, to me, right now, still hungry and having wasted a lot of cooking time.

I was listening to the Clube de Esquina album that Matt recommended to get the full vibe, and the music was great but the marrow was crap.

I'm listening to 'The Big Sleep' by Simple Minds just to exorcise the experience. Caviar, slave! Now!

They didn't even eat marrow in 2nd world war rationing days. Courgettes are bad enough.

I've still got half a marrow left.

Bin it. I'm a lifelong vegetarian all I eat is vegetation but I wouldn't eat a marrow