Thread: Vegan

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Vegan

any vegans out there?

I didn't eat meat; then dairy for quite a while. I wore leather boots though. Footwear was really problematic.

Not myself, but I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of food when visiting vegan friends in the US last year. But then LA is probably one of the world's best places outside south Asia to go vegan?

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    Not myself, but I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of food when visiting vegan friends in the US last year. But then LA is probably one of the world's best places outside south Asia to go vegan?
    it can be totally delicious. masses of different types of veg. beans. nuts. fruit.

definitely going to become much more common.

Quote Originally Posted by Woebot View Post
    it can be totally delicious. masses of different types of veg. beans. nuts. fruit.

definitely going to become much more common.
    Hope so - going vegetarian (let alone vegan) would be easier if there were more restaurants about that did it well.

http://www.sageveganbistro.com/ this place in LA is great, if anyone happens to be (going) there - and not at all pretentious, even if the website might be a little. Their seitan was good...

I've also had lots of great vegan food in Colombia, bizarrely, thinking of countries where you (might not) expect it. Which tbh, might be most countries.
    Last edited by baboon2004; 05-01-2016 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mistersloane View Post
    I didn't eat meat; then dairy for quite a while. I wore leather boots though. Footwear was really problematic.
    hi sloane. if one is trying to be purist it makes less and less sense.

after all "tame" bees are used to fertilise crops. theres also the b12 problem - humans need it and its not available in vegetables (even if one can get good supplements)

im not vegan but i find sometimes a whole week will pass without meat or dairy. and while i dont miss it - i love some beef or a chicken.

im motivated more from health - but the enviromental and ethical benefits are big.

theres also the b12 problem - humans need it and its not available in vegetables
    Not a problem as long as you like Marmite.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Not a problem as long as you like Marmite.
    the B12 in marmite is added - it's not naturally occurring.

i guess it's more of a theoretical point. as in how can you say that humans are not supposed to eat meat if an entirely vital nutrient for our wellbeing is not present naturally/historically in any other form? it's a real theoretical stumbling point for veganism - but not an issue if one simply takes a supplement.

hardcore vegans try and make largely bonkers arguments about how our forefathers would have been able to get the necessary B12 fix.

im not vegan but i find sometimes a whole week will pass without meat or dairy. and while i dont miss it - i love some beef or a chicken
    just finished bronowski's ascent of man. more and more of the opinion that meat is indispensable.

just finished bronowski's ascent of man. more and more of the opinion that meat is indispensable.
    This turned up in my twitter feed yesterday, he makes some good points
    http://roguehealthandfitness.com/vegan-bad-idea/

I've never even considered going vegan, not even for a microsecond, what with being a member of a species that evolved with meat-eating mind, teeth and claws, but there's some biochemistry to back it up.

P D Mangan has some interesting ideas about how high Iron levels might be killing us all, he alludes to them in the vegan post. I think they bear consideration, so much so that I'm off to donate an armful of blood tomorrow for the first time.

Also, this news broke over the weekend Vegan climber dies on Everest during mission to prove vegans can climb highest peaks
    Last edited by HMGovt; 23-05-2016 at 09:54 AM.