Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hip-Hop Culture Wars

Remember it coincided with a lull in the UK underground too. Waiting for garage to come to fruition. It was the musical equivalent of a weed drought

that tunnel era was a good reaction to the bad boy stuff
    dmx, the lox, camron etc, the harder new york stuff (and not totally divorced from bad boy either actually)
    like a last gasp for new york

tbh i disliked a lot of that stuff at the time, apart from the songs i felt were 'hard' and 'real hip hop' (lol) like money power respect or get at me dog (it had an epmd sample lol) but i realised how wrong i was about 10 years ago, grime actually had a lot to do with making me check my assumptions
    Last edited by rubberdingyrapids; 21-07-2015 at 05:34 PM.

Yeah there was a reaction but Bad Boy tunes ran the tunnel too apparently (All About the Benjamins, Hypnotise, Who Shot Ya etc.)...

Puffy has always been a horrendous rapper.

Nas - It Was Written is a great example of the goalposts moving cos for years it was seen as the massive disappointment post Illmatic but now on rap forums I read it seems like people are saying its a classic. And Trackmasters to them are more hip-hop than Metro Boomin or whoever.

There was also for some a sense of here's a thing where my kind of verbal intelligence and pub quiz general knowledge is a virtue, and then some mean and crass bullies take it over and laugh at me for knowing big words

I want a version of ready to die with puffys ad libs removed

I feel like now we're far enough removed from that very polarised time to reassess the arguments and check to see which babies were thrown out with the bathwater

Rawkus was so fucking terrible, lololol Corpsey no....

Ultimately rap fans who aren't actually in the communities (multiple) will always try to tell you what is GOOD ENOUGH FOR THEM, and that might not be the best of the bunch.

But a lot of these lines are imaginary.

Fans are corny, IDK, this subject isn't my favorite rn.

I like the subject cos it's still live. You were barely conscious at the time crowley but it would be disingenuous of you to deny a lot of your rhetoric is informed by debate over these very imaginary lines I think

Soundbombing 1 will always occupy a sentimental place in my heart even though in the cold light of day it is probably piss.

The worst thing about Rawkus was it made me spend a big portion of my teenage life listening to Mr Eon.

There's no redeeming 'underground' hiphop I'm not interested in that btw

Although I didn't actually want to just make it about 1997, I wanted to talk more generally about fights over what hiphop should mean but i feel sloppy today so I started reminiscing

Not capable of thought
    Last edited by luka; 21-07-2015 at 06:51 PM.

Was it Puff Daddy et al who ushered in this era of greed exoneration with their “player hater” hating?
    Just reading corpsey blog while I wait to see if anyone can be dragged into an argument to distract me temporarily from the awful futility of my own existence and saw this right up the top

I feel like somebody is reading my embrassing teenage diary now

I'm using carefully selected extracts for public shaming purposes on my twitter account as we speak