Hip-Hop Culture Wars

luka

I did find the shiny suit era difficult. Haven't really come round to it either despite what claims Kanye might make for Ma$e

rubberdingyrapids

im still not that into the second biggie album

dont like what happened to his flow and delivery

OTOH i never thought the blueprint was jay-zs best album (or reasonable doubt), i reckon hard knock life (vol 3) is the best one (or maybe the shawn carter one after, even)

luka

So I understand and sympathise with that backpacker tendency. no good music came out of it but I shared the sense of betrayal.

In two years to go from the infamous, Cuban linx, etc to looping huge chunks of 80s r&b. I didn't understand

rubberdingyrapids

prob just that the mid 90s was too serious and somber
people wanted something a bit lighter
also after sampling the 70s for so long, it was just time to move to the next era

luka

But then after that brief puffy moment good stuff started happening again even though that brand of lyricism was gone for good
I liked all the weird stuff. Goofy swizz keyboard mashing beats like money cash hoes

luka

Yeah I accept puffy wasn't making music for me, I'm making a personal confession

luka

Remember it coincided with a lull in the UK underground too. Waiting for garage to come to fruition. It was the musical equivalent of a weed drought

rubberdingyrapids

that tunnel era was a good reaction to the bad boy stuff
dmx, the lox, camron etc, the harder new york stuff (and not totally divorced from bad boy either actually)
like a last gasp for new york

tbh i disliked a lot of that stuff at the time, apart from the songs i felt were 'hard' and 'real hip hop' (lol) like money power respect or get at me dog (it had an epmd sample lol) but i realised how wrong i was about 10 years ago, grime actually had a lot to do with making me check my assumptions

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Yeah there was a reaction but Bad Boy tunes ran the tunnel too apparently (All About the Benjamins, Hypnotise, Who Shot Ya etc.)...

Puffy has always been a horrendous rapper.

Nas - It Was Written is a great example of the goalposts moving cos for years it was seen as the massive disappointment post Illmatic but now on rap forums I read it seems like people are saying its a classic. And Trackmasters to them are more hip-hop than Metro Boomin or whoever.

luka

There was also for some a sense of here's a thing where my kind of verbal intelligence and pub quiz general knowledge is a virtue, and then some mean and crass bullies take it over and laugh at me for knowing big words

luka

I feel like now we're far enough removed from that very polarised time to reassess the arguments and check to see which babies were thrown out with the bathwater

CrowleyHead

Rawkus was so fucking terrible, lololol Corpsey no....

Ultimately rap fans who aren't actually in the communities (multiple) will always try to tell you what is GOOD ENOUGH FOR THEM, and that might not be the best of the bunch.

But a lot of these lines are imaginary.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PdqQ3i9QtsU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fans are corny, IDK, this subject isn't my favorite rn.

luka

I like the subject cos it's still live. You were barely conscious at the time crowley but it would be disingenuous of you to deny a lot of your rhetoric is informed by debate over these very imaginary lines I think

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Soundbombing 1 will always occupy a sentimental place in my heart even though in the cold light of day it is probably piss.

The worst thing about Rawkus was it made me spend a big portion of my teenage life listening to Mr Eon.