Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hip-Hop Culture Wars

Default Hip-Hop Culture Wars

superope100 8 months ago
    Joey Bada$$, Kendrick Lamar, Lupe fiasco, Big K.R.I.T, Logic, Dizzy wright, Hopsin, Schoolboy Q, Ab-soul, Swizz, Isaiah Rashad, King los, Jay rock, Mac Miller, Chance the rapper, Noname Gypsy, Cassidy, Yelawolf, Vic Mensa, J cole, Action Branson, Jon Connor are lyrical masterminds.

BBM BigBlackMiles 7 months ago
    Freddie Gibbs, Earl Sweatshirt, CJ Fly, Logic, Eminem, Slaughterhouse, Drake, The Underachievers, Jay Z, Ab Soul, ScHoolboy Q, Mick Jenkins, Tyler The Creator, Domo Genesis, Tech N9ne, Childish Gambino, Vince Staples, Royce 'Da' 59, A$AP Rocky, Jay Electronica, Danny Brown, Flatbush ZOMBiES, Big Sean, Pusha T, J Cole, Nas, MF Doom and that's all.

Redsparrowe123 6 days ago
    +superope100Decent list, but missing Aesop Rock, who sits on top with Lupe, looking wayyyyy down at EVERY other rapper

Kurono Sensei 1 month ago
    What's this genre?!

Hide replies
    Dwa Pak 1 month ago
    +Kurono Sensei Cloud rap/trillwave or trip hop

S N V Records 1 month ago
    I think a little deep/future house

nikolaicholev 3 weeks ago
    +S N V Records HOW IS THIS HOUSE WTF..

S N V Records 3 weeks ago
    XD

noor mk 2 weeks ago
    +S N V Records future bass*

Kurono Sensei 2 weeks ago
    I don't know, that future bass and chilltrap was a little to wild for the mood I was in. I think trillwave is closer.

noor mk 2 weeks ago
    I know that this can't be future bass, but I'm correcting him only.

noor mk 2 weeks ago
    To make his answer closer.

Dwa Pak 2 weeks ago
    It's definitely trillwave or cloud rap

nikolaicholev 2 weeks ago
    It's cloud rap

S N V Records 2 weeks ago
    +nikolaicholev ya
    Last edited by luka; 21-07-2015 at 11:24 AM.

Dyllon Freeman 2 months ago (edited)
    "I wouldnt give a hoe 10 cents to put cheese on a whopper"
    - Big L

"I'll spend a check on that pussy"
    -Future

BLVCK LORD BEATS 2 months ago
    Spend a check on that pussy? That's some simp shit

Hide replies
    James Dempsey 2 months ago
    +BLVCK LORD BEATS bruh if u got a bad bitch u gone spend money on her. He's a millionaire so he gotta spend more. Plus he's just smashin hoes. No romance. Comes with a price tag for a A1 type bitch

BandzUp C.E.O. Rondoひ 2 months ago
    +James Dempsey He wouldn't know because he Aint Got No Checks Or No Good Pussy .
    Last edited by luka; 21-07-2015 at 11:30 AM.

Tyler Durden 2 months ago
    +Kentral #NorthMemphis well this is trash, the beat is dope but the lyrics are fucking garbage, honestly he should hire someone to write lyrics for him, I can tell you like this though cause usually people who like this kind of music can't spell or write worth a damn. you lack mental fortitude so your reaction when someone doesn't agree with you is to "smack the shit out of ppls" cause your just a little ignorant fuck head, you probably listen to chief keef and migos too I bet

Ideal Trades 21 hours ago
    chief keef is another rapper made by the united states government to kill real, positive hip hop and turning it in to negativity, hes no different then a lil wayne and another way to start violence within the black community because of his lyrics

Dismas Beats 7 months ago
    this is not rap music, it's drill. Why do people click here just to hate

Hide replies
    x Frog 7 months ago
    drill rap you mean. idiot.

jamase787 6 months ago
    dumbest shit what i ever heard

x Frog 6 months ago
    most of it is just death threats and drug dealing. not much substance.

Shogun973 6 months ago
    +Jimmy Merciless stfu faggot only thing you said thats accurate was that chicago copied of the south. Its drill music and it gets you hype

Elias Saybe 6 months ago
    It is... Its called street rap

JasonJeezyJeff 6 months ago
    +Dismas Beats
    You know I can't rap off beat and call it as I like "drill", "nut" or "bolt" it will still be shit.

javon3394 2 days ago
    What if Taylor Swift made a song like this, same voice and everything, do you think white girls would still listen to her music or no
    Last edited by luka; 21-07-2015 at 11:45 AM.

EconomicSuicideTheGreat 2 months ago
    +Mr. Coffee i lost? Hip-hop is comprised of various sub-genres and styles, as well regional scenes. Learn about the different forms of rap. lets break it down. hip-hop has 4 main branches. Deejaying., emceeing, break dancing and graffti art. emceeing which is more popularly known as rapping, breaks down into many other branches such as lyrical, trap, hype, drill, based, freesytling, battle, gansta, random weird styles people create like chance the rapper and etc. you sir are a fucking idiot., you are such an idiot i must say it twice. you sir are an idiot. you talk about embarrassment yet don't know the basics. hiphop snobs don't even know about hiphop yet are confidant to call people bad or stupid.

The Salty Spittoon 6 days ago
    How to rap:
    1) make a catchy beat, or just recycle it, no one will be able to tell the difference
    2) look like a scrawny ass bitch and talk about how gangsta you are
    3) focus on money, bitches and killing people... In everything you ever release... That's all rappers can really talk about nowadays so who cares?
    4) give yourself a stupid name or give your track a stupid name, just make sure something sounds stupid
    5) rhyme 'nigga' with 'nigga' as often as possible
    6) if you cant figure out how to rhyme words just make them rhyme by saying them stupidly
    7) for your music video do absolutely nothing over then chucking money around and making gun signs at the cameraman
    8) talk about how meaningful your music is to you and how you want to change the rap game so your fans think you spend more than five minutes writing this shit
    9) sell out
    10) sell out again
    11) if you're actually performing illegal activities behind the scenes make sure you go into detail about them in your songs to make the police's life much easier
    12) then become the victim in your arrest pleading about how you get a harsh sentence because you're a famous rapper and shooting people and supplying coke isn't really a big deal

Congratulations! If you followed these steps you are now a famous rapper! Go fuck yourself you useless one hit wonder!

"Rap_Game_El_Chapito" 2 weeks ago
    1. KRS-One
    2. Ghostface Killah
    3. RA the Rugged Man
    4. Gift of Gab
    5. Black Thought
    6. Blu
    7. Ka
    8. Brother Ali
    9. Rakim
    10. Aesop Rock
    11. Phonte
    12. Nas
    13. Homeboy Sandman
    14. Sean Price
    15. MF Doom
    16. Talib Kweli
    17. Evidence
    18. Shad
    19. Killah Priest
    20. Buckshot
    21. The Notorious B.I.G.
    22. Grand Puba
    23. The D.O.C.
    24. Celph Titled
    25. Big Pun
    26. Immortal Tech
    27. Common
    28. Ice Cube
    29. Redman
    30. Lupe Fiasco

e d e n [Krustt] 複雑な 2 weeks ago
    You know Kendrick Lamar or ?

Hes in my TOP25 "Currently"...Still working on that list. This is only "All-Time." After all is said and done K Dot may make the All-Time list. Not just yet though.... I suppose I couldve included him at this stage but its a hard list to make.....

K. Dot makes the "All-Time Greatest Lyricists" list if you expand it to TOP60 or 75...

Andrew Wilmer 1 week ago
    +dimlampley_951 This a pretty solid list. But, what about Mos Def, Eminem, Elzhi, Big L, Andre 3000, Scarface, Percee P, and Big Daddy Kane?

"Rap_Game_El_Chapito" 1 week ago
    Yes. Yes, indeed, kind sir. I have the majority of those emcees in my TOP60 All-Time Lyricist List.... This list is not in any specific order. I suppose a few of the artists you mentioned could very well be in a lot of heads TOP25 lists.

"Rap_Game_El_Chapito" 1 week ago
    TOP62 list lol
    1. KRS-One
    2. Ghostface Killah
    3. RA the Rugged Man
    4. Gift of Gab
    5. Black Thought
    6. Blu
    7. Ka
    8. Brother Ali
    9. Rakim
    10. Aesop Rock
    11. Phonte
    12. Nas
    13. Homeboy Sandman
    14. Sean Price
    15. MF Doom
    16. Talib Kweli
    17. Eminem
    18. Shad
    19. Killah Priest
    20. Buckshot
    21. The Notorious B.I.G.
    22. Grand Puba
    23. The D.O.C.
    24. Celph Titled
    25. Big Pun
    26. Immortal Tech
    27. Common
    28. Ice Cube
    29. Redman
    30. Lupe Fiasco
    31. Kool G Rap
    32. Del
    33. E Sweatshirt
    34. MURS
    35. Cappadonna
    36. Big-L
    37. Busta Rhymes
    38. Evidence
    39. Mos Def
    40. Canibus
    41. 2Pac
    42. E-40
    43. Too Short
    44. Sean Price
    45. Freddie Foxxx
    46. Jeru The Damaja
    47. GURU
    48. Cormega
    49. Pharaoh Monch
    50. Big Daddy Kane
    51. Chino XL
    52. David Banner
    53. Vinnie Paz
    54. Lewis Parker
    55. Kurupt
    56. Rass Kass
    57. GZA
    58. Sadat X
    59. PerceeP
    60. AZ
    61. Jadakiss
    62. Mac Dre

Young Intellect 5 days ago
    Bruh why you got rakim at #9 hahaha and ra the rugged man at 3

xX_ChaoticFace_Xx 5 days ago
    +dimlampley_951 No Tupac? This list is retarded...

"Rap_Game_El_Chapito" 4 days ago
    Tupac wasnt a lyricist. He was an icon. Dumb cunt.

Zulos sG (Leader) 1 day ago
    So this is what rap came to? We need biggie n tupac rip

Thing I find amusing is how say fifteen years ago the self-appointed "REAL HEADS" (me included probably, the fifteen year old white suburbanite from south east England, if you please) were saying Jay-Z/Rocafella, Puffy, Master P etc. was the death of hip-hop, commercial sellout music etc. And then comes the next generation and suddenly those same artists are the ones people hearken back nostalgically to. Goes on and on... Latest thing is Young Thug causing people to say "This ain't hip hop! LIL WAYNE is hip-hop!" When for a long time (and probably still now) you'd see nothing but hatred for Lil Wayne under his videos.

I guess there is a genuine concern with hip-hop that the culture HAS been debased by the mainstream, and there's less consciousness and so on... and this is why I feel very deeply conflicted about liking drill music e.g., which is incredibly entertaining and powerful music to me, sitting in my safely cloistered suburban enclave over here, but which is arguably not only reflecting but fuelling gang violence (I know this is kind of a bullshit argument btw, obviously these issues are primarily socio-economic and racial not musical). But to return to the main issue, it's not as if there weren't Schooly Ds and NWAs in the 90s and not everybody was lyrically spiritual miracle-ing.

I used to be totally into that idea that only "intelligent" lyrics and - ideally - sampled beats were legitimate hip-hop but nowadays I'm of the opinion that the more variety the better. The rap I'm most interested in these days tends to be stretching the notion of what rap can be with autotune/singing.

Saying all this I was listening to 'Liquid Swords' yesterday (also Fabolous recently) and I do miss that style of rap. It still exists but it can't help but make you think ''this was done better twenty years ago."

End of the day though I think rap is "up to" the young (mostly black/american) audience.

Luka what is your top 20 rapper list looking like

Yeah I think so too largely.
    I did start this thread with quite high minded intentions but I've got a cold and it's hard to think clearly. I thought I had loads of meaningful things to say

All time or present day? Lool

I couldn't do a present day one tbh I'm too out of touch and all time would be very generic 35 year old englishman list. No surprises.
    Last edited by luka; 21-07-2015 at 04:13 PM.