Hip-Hop Culture Wars

luka

superope100 8 months ago
Joey Bada$$, Kendrick Lamar, Lupe fiasco, Big K.R.I.T, Logic, Dizzy wright, Hopsin, Schoolboy Q, Ab-soul, Swizz, Isaiah Rashad, King los, Jay rock, Mac Miller, Chance the rapper, Noname Gypsy, Cassidy, Yelawolf, Vic Mensa, J cole, Action Branson, Jon Connor are lyrical masterminds.

BBM BigBlackMiles 7 months ago
Freddie Gibbs, Earl Sweatshirt, CJ Fly, Logic, Eminem, Slaughterhouse, Drake, The Underachievers, Jay Z, Ab Soul, ScHoolboy Q, Mick Jenkins, Tyler The Creator, Domo Genesis, Tech N9ne, Childish Gambino, Vince Staples, Royce 'Da' 59, A$AP Rocky, Jay Electronica, Danny Brown, Flatbush ZOMBiES, Big Sean, Pusha T, J Cole, Nas, MF Doom and that's all.

Redsparrowe123 6 days ago
+superope100Decent list, but missing Aesop Rock, who sits on top with Lupe, looking wayyyyy down at EVERY other rapper

luka

Kurono Sensei 1 month ago
What's this genre?!

Hide replies
Dwa Pak 1 month ago
+Kurono Sensei Cloud rap/trillwave or trip hop
·

S N V Records 1 month ago
I think a little deep/future house
·

nikolaicholev 3 weeks ago
+S N V Records HOW IS THIS HOUSE WTF..

S N V Records 3 weeks ago
XD
·

noor mk 2 weeks ago
+S N V Records future bass*
·

Kurono Sensei 2 weeks ago
I don't know, that future bass and chilltrap was a little to wild for the mood I was in. I think trillwave is closer.
·

noor mk 2 weeks ago
I know that this can't be future bass, but I'm correcting him only.
·

noor mk 2 weeks ago
To make his answer closer.
·

Dwa Pak 2 weeks ago
It's definitely trillwave or cloud rap
·

nikolaicholev 2 weeks ago
It's cloud rap
·

S N V Records 2 weeks ago
+nikolaicholev ya

Last edited:

luka

Dyllon Freeman 2 months ago (edited)
"I wouldnt give a hoe 10 cents to put cheese on a whopper"
- Big L

"I'll spend a check on that pussy"
-Future

BLVCK LORD BEATS 2 months ago
Spend a check on that pussy? That's some simp shit

Hide replies
James Dempsey 2 months ago
+BLVCK LORD BEATS bruh if u got a bad bitch u gone spend money on her. He's a millionaire so he gotta spend more. Plus he's just smashin hoes. No romance. Comes with a price tag for a A1 type bitch

BandzUp C.E.O. Rondoひ 2 months ago
+James Dempsey He wouldn't know because he Aint Got No Checks Or No Good Pussy .

Last edited:

luka

Tyler Durden 2 months ago
+Kentral #NorthMemphis well this is trash, the beat is dope but the lyrics are fucking garbage, honestly he should hire someone to write lyrics for him, I can tell you like this though cause usually people who like this kind of music can't spell or write worth a damn. you lack mental fortitude so your reaction when someone doesn't agree with you is to "smack the shit out of ppls" cause your just a little ignorant fuck head, you probably listen to chief keef and migos too I bet

luka

Ideal Trades 21 hours ago
chief keef is another rapper made by the united states government to kill real, positive hip hop and turning it in to negativity, hes no different then a lil wayne and another way to start violence within the black community because of his lyrics

Dismas Beats 7 months ago
this is not rap music, it's drill. Why do people click here just to hate

Hide replies
x Frog 7 months ago
drill rap you mean. idiot.

jamase787 6 months ago
dumbest shit what i ever heard

x Frog 6 months ago
most of it is just death threats and drug dealing. not much substance.

Shogun973 6 months ago
+Jimmy Merciless stfu faggot only thing you said thats accurate was that chicago copied of the south. Its drill music and it gets you hype

Elias Saybe 6 months ago
It is... Its called street rap

JasonJeezyJeff 6 months ago
+Dismas Beats
You know I can't rap off beat and call it as I like "drill", "nut" or "bolt" it will still be shit. :)

javon3394 2 days ago
What if Taylor Swift made a song like this, same voice and everything, do you think white girls would still listen to her music or no

Last edited:

luka

EconomicSuicideTheGreat 2 months ago
+Mr. Coffee i lost? Hip-hop is comprised of various sub-genres and styles, as well regional scenes. Learn about the different forms of rap. lets break it down. hip-hop has 4 main branches. Deejaying., emceeing, break dancing and graffti art. emceeing which is more popularly known as rapping, breaks down into many other branches such as lyrical, trap, hype, drill, based, freesytling, battle, gansta, random weird styles people create like chance the rapper and etc. you sir are a fucking idiot., you are such an idiot i must say it twice. you sir are an idiot. you talk about embarrassment yet don't know the basics. hiphop snobs don't even know about hiphop yet are confidant to call people bad or stupid.

luka

The Salty Spittoon 6 days ago
How to rap:
1) make a catchy beat, or just recycle it, no one will be able to tell the difference
2) look like a scrawny ass bitch and talk about how gangsta you are
3) focus on money, bitches and killing people... In everything you ever release... That's all rappers can really talk about nowadays so who cares?
4) give yourself a stupid name or give your track a stupid name, just make sure something sounds stupid
5) rhyme 'nigga' with 'nigga' as often as possible
6) if you cant figure out how to rhyme words just make them rhyme by saying them stupidly
7) for your music video do absolutely nothing over then chucking money around and making gun signs at the cameraman
8) talk about how meaningful your music is to you and how you want to change the rap game so your fans think you spend more than five minutes writing this shit
9) sell out
10) sell out again
11) if you're actually performing illegal activities behind the scenes make sure you go into detail about them in your songs to make the police's life much easier
12) then become the victim in your arrest pleading about how you get a harsh sentence because you're a famous rapper and shooting people and supplying coke isn't really a big deal

Congratulations! If you followed these steps you are now a famous rapper! Go fuck yourself you useless one hit wonder!

luka

"Rap_Game_El_Chapito" 2 weeks ago
1. KRS-One
2. Ghostface Killah
3. RA the Rugged Man
4. Gift of Gab
5. Black Thought
6. Blu
7. Ka
8. Brother Ali
9. Rakim
10. Aesop Rock
11. Phonte
12. Nas
13. Homeboy Sandman
14. Sean Price
15. MF Doom
16. Talib Kweli
17. Evidence
18. Shad
19. Killah Priest
20. Buckshot
21. The Notorious B.I.G.
22. Grand Puba
23. The D.O.C.
24. Celph Titled
25. Big Pun
26. Immortal Tech
27. Common
28. Ice Cube
29. Redman
30. Lupe Fiasco

e d e n [Krustt] 複雑な 2 weeks ago
You know Kendrick Lamar or ?

Hes in my TOP25 "Currently"...Still working on that list. This is only "All-Time." After all is said and done K Dot may make the All-Time list. Not just yet though.... I suppose I couldve included him at this stage but its a hard list to make.....
·

K. Dot makes the "All-Time Greatest Lyricists" list if you expand it to TOP60 or 75...

Andrew Wilmer 1 week ago
+dimlampley_951 This a pretty solid list. But, what about Mos Def, Eminem, Elzhi, Big L, Andre 3000, Scarface, Percee P, and Big Daddy Kane?
·

"Rap_Game_El_Chapito" 1 week ago
Yes. Yes, indeed, kind sir. I have the majority of those emcees in my TOP60 All-Time Lyricist List.... This list is not in any specific order. I suppose a few of the artists you mentioned could very well be in a lot of heads TOP25 lists.

"Rap_Game_El_Chapito" 1 week ago
TOP62 list lol
1. KRS-One
2. Ghostface Killah
3. RA the Rugged Man
4. Gift of Gab
5. Black Thought
6. Blu
7. Ka
8. Brother Ali
9. Rakim
10. Aesop Rock
11. Phonte
12. Nas
13. Homeboy Sandman
14. Sean Price
15. MF Doom
16. Talib Kweli
17. Eminem
18. Shad
19. Killah Priest
20. Buckshot
21. The Notorious B.I.G.
22. Grand Puba
23. The D.O.C.
24. Celph Titled
25. Big Pun
26. Immortal Tech
27. Common
28. Ice Cube
29. Redman
30. Lupe Fiasco
31. Kool G Rap
32. Del
33. E Sweatshirt
34. MURS
35. Cappadonna
36. Big-L
37. Busta Rhymes
38. Evidence
39. Mos Def
40. Canibus
41. 2Pac
42. E-40
43. Too Short
44. Sean Price
45. Freddie Foxxx
46. Jeru The Damaja
47. GURU
48. Cormega
49. Pharaoh Monch
50. Big Daddy Kane
51. Chino XL
52. David Banner
53. Vinnie Paz
54. Lewis Parker
55. Kurupt
56. Rass Kass
57. GZA
58. Sadat X
59. PerceeP
60. AZ
61. Jadakiss
62. Mac Dre

luka

Young Intellect 5 days ago
Bruh why you got rakim at #9 hahaha and ra the rugged man at 3
·

xX_ChaoticFace_Xx 5 days ago
+dimlampley_951 No Tupac? This list is retarded...
·

"Rap_Game_El_Chapito" 4 days ago
Tupac wasnt a lyricist. He was an icon. Dumb cunt.

luka

Zulos sG (Leader) 1 day ago
So this is what rap came to? We need biggie n tupac rip :(

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Thing I find amusing is how say fifteen years ago the self-appointed "REAL HEADS" (me included probably, the fifteen year old white suburbanite from south east England, if you please) were saying Jay-Z/Rocafella, Puffy, Master P etc. was the death of hip-hop, commercial sellout music etc. And then comes the next generation and suddenly those same artists are the ones people hearken back nostalgically to. Goes on and on... Latest thing is Young Thug causing people to say "This ain't hip hop! LIL WAYNE is hip-hop!" When for a long time (and probably still now) you'd see nothing but hatred for Lil Wayne under his videos.

I guess there is a genuine concern with hip-hop that the culture HAS been debased by the mainstream, and there's less consciousness and so on... and this is why I feel very deeply conflicted about liking drill music e.g., which is incredibly entertaining and powerful music to me, sitting in my safely cloistered suburban enclave over here, but which is arguably not only reflecting but fuelling gang violence (I know this is kind of a bullshit argument btw, obviously these issues are primarily socio-economic and racial not musical). But to return to the main issue, it's not as if there weren't Schooly Ds and NWAs in the 90s and not everybody was lyrically spiritual miracle-ing.

I used to be totally into that idea that only "intelligent" lyrics and - ideally - sampled beats were legitimate hip-hop but nowadays I'm of the opinion that the more variety the better. The rap I'm most interested in these days tends to be stretching the notion of what rap can be with autotune/singing.

Saying all this I was listening to 'Liquid Swords' yesterday (also Fabolous recently) and I do miss that style of rap. It still exists but it can't help but make you think ''this was done better twenty years ago."

End of the day though I think rap is "up to" the young (mostly black/american) audience.

luka

Yeah I think so too largely.
I did start this thread with quite high minded intentions but I've got a cold and it's hard to think clearly. I thought I had loads of meaningful things to say

luka

I couldn't do a present day one tbh I'm too out of touch and all time would be very generic 35 year old englishman list. No surprises.

Last edited:

rubberdingyrapids

i dont really see the 'true schoolers' as winning in this battle tbh. i think a lot of people who used to hate jay-z, lil wayne, puffy etc, all had a collective moment of embarrassment around 2004/05 and then, perhaps tragically, started to hate anything that resembled or reminded them of their old indie-rap-supporting days. def jux fans suddenly started talking about mannie fresh and so on. i think i went through a phase like that myself, though it was also just motivated by buying loads of indie rap 12s and never listening to them or reading HHC then buying dilated peoples cos it was what i thought hip hop was meant to be then realising i didnt actually like lootpack or dilated peoples. after a while, i just stopped listening to rap ideologically, and just as music, which is maybe healthier (or maybe just about lowered expectations).

luka

Battlelines shift but there's always a war going on. One of my best mates is still true school as it gets though. They still exist. I went to a homeboy sandman show with him the other day.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Thing is true-school rappers are always going on about how shit commercial rappers are and how the music they make is intrinsically better, which invites contempt when you realise they aren't intrinsically better at all, particularly when it comes to making music that is fun and makes people dance.

When you're in on it though it gives you this feeling of superiority to think that only YOU and a relatively small audience worldwide KNOW what the "truth" is.

It's also funny when you get people like Mos Def/El-P or whoever admitting in interviews that they always really liked Juvenile or whatever. And then their fanboys can't type a rebuttal through their tears.

I do know what RDRapids is saying though cos I turned on my past quite considerably once I got into Gucci Mane et al. I do still think some of that old Rawkus stuff is good, especially in that first wave around 1998. Dilated Peoples were one of those groups I always liked IN THEORY more than I did in reality, but they did have some wicked beats (''Worst Comes To Worst''). Just now I listen to Evidence and because I don't care so much about how "worthy" a rapper is I just hear him as being pretty boring and unjustifiably self-righteous. I suppose that self-righteousness is just the indie rap spin on the pop rapper's arrogance.

rubberdingyrapids

yeah the battle lines still exist, and one thing that old school/true school east coast style still has its a kind of historical significance/importance attached to it, and a certain respect as 'classic' hip-hop. but i dunno if say, someone like young thug really cares about that, all that much (im thinking of his comments about not wanting to be an old rapper like jay-z). i think they might want the older generation to give them props but i doubt when they hear gza say he doesnt think much of todays lyrics (not that i think he even had much of a point - who wants rappers to still rap like its 1989?) that they think about what that era had that isnt there today. like, you will get big name rappers doing a few classic style songs here and there (like wayne had that alchemist produced song on carter 3, which sounded kinda weird to me but n/m) but i think those are just token tracks, sort of like a necessary thing, just to show they can do that too, rather than maybe to please the genres self appointed guardians or whoever. though i dunno, maybe secretly every big popular rapper secretly has guilt about being culturally debased or whatever in a way their predecessors werent.