Rolling True School Hip-hop thread

rubberdingyrapids

for the stuff that doesnt really fit into the other thread...

been listening to the new pete rock album quite a bit lately - exactly what you would expect it to sound like, but brilliantly, and a lot better than the first volume of petestrumentals, which was pretty much samey headnodders from front to back. ive thought that since around 94, pete could often be too smooth, with everything mixed and engineered to perfection, and obv this is still mixed and engineered to perfection, but its a lot more diverse, not just mellow moods.

the new alchemist album, israeli salad is good too. standard beat tape format, but i like pretty much everything he does, even if he is often minimalist to a fault.

also skimmed through the recent KA album, but dont quite get what makes it so special. sounds like someone from dilated peoples doing raekown with a slightly worrying obsession with 70s conspiracies. good samples though.

CrowleyHead

also skimmed through the recent KA album, but dont quite get what makes it so special. sounds like someone from dilated peoples doing raekown with a slightly worrying obsession with 70s conspiracies. good samples though.

I don't get how you've gotten that.

If we're talking about Yen Lo (I presume), I'm not going to discredit the content focus drifting to 70s conspiracy stuff, but he doesn't rap at all like Raekwon, who usually does extended description of items and nonsensical phraseology ("We pyrex living" YOUR LIFE IS EPITOMIZED BY COOKWARE? I KNOW YOU MEAN COOKING CRACK BUT MAYBE EMPHASIZE THIS BECAUSE FOR ALL I KNOW, YOU JUST WORK KITCHEN AID AT TARGET), Ka usually has a universally bleak greyscale view and describes situations and scenarios and implies things about societal impact and effect. Dilated Peoples I'm not even touching.

rubberdingyrapids

i was being flippant (and bear in mind ive only heard the album once, on a tube, with crappy headphones), but the raekwon comparison was more about his tone/voice than themes or subject matter. the DP thing was more about how theres this sort of sense of self importance/cleverness in his delivery....

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The only stuff I like in a 'true school' style lately has been Roc Marciano, who I REALLY like. Ka is cool too but ultimately the whispering thing isn't as good to me as Marciano's dead-pan sneer.

rubberdingyrapids

KA seems very stylised and a bit contrived to me but ill give him a few more tries before deciding. its almost like a very artsy wu-tang spin off.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Take it for what it is and its a good listen (I'm referring to his first album here btw) - headphone music, atmospheric, to be listened intently to while nodding in the rain. Did I sound like a Burial record sleeve note there?

5 ROC MARCI TUNES

WE ILL
RIDIN' AROUND
TEK TO A MACK
SNOW
MY PERSONA

So nonchalant, so many quotables, production bang on.

If anybody knows somebody who resembles R.Marci please let me know.

CrowleyHead

My dad often joked that if K Solo suffered a stroke and retaught himself how to rap, he'd sound like Roc Marciano.

But no, obviously Prodigy is a HUGE influence on Roc. Them doing that song together for the Prodigy & Alchemist album two years or so ago was v. cute. Also Prodigy's descent into slower, quieter rapping on records like HNIC to divorce himself from aggro rap is obviously a progenitor for Marcberg, as is Cappadonna's 97 Mentality where its just a loop and no drums.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/88jCMNxr6Ac" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And ofc. Rakim is the genesis of a lot of these approaches, blah blah blah.

rubberdingyrapids

i always forget about prodigy in these convos - thats a good spot, though im one of the (minority?) of people who think he sort of fell off several years back

CrowleyHead

i always forget about prodigy in these convos - thats a good spot, though im one of the (minority?) of people who think he sort of fell off several years back

His performances had taken a hideous nosedive after Jay-Z destroying him at Summer Jam with the ballerina pics. For a long time Havoc was the only thing holding that group together, but after he did the jail sentence he seemed to rebound himself into more cohesion. That song they did with 50 for the G-Unit Album with the profane themes on the Exile Gospel Beat was fantastic.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TmkcobEpqjA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Glacial 718

&#127817; &#127817; &#127817;
Coli does Roc Marc:
http://www.thecoli.com/threads/the-official-flow-like-roc-marciano-thread.142398/

some of these are 5*

steak sauce on the collar, my greens are collard
fine wines, no aqua, shyt is awkward
...put the Benz in park, then hit the park up
nikkas playin parkhour when they hear them shots buck

Not to mention
Not near one wanna test it
It's blessed
My enemies never guess it
Well vest it
Investments
Eating